cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2560x1440 @ 144Hz and 1920x1080 only 60Hz ?!?

willi23
Level 7
Is it true that the display supports 1080p only at 60Hz??

this quote confuses me:

Below that there are actually limited supporting operating modes. You can run the screen at 1920 x 1080 if you want, but only at 60Hz maximum refresh rate according to this spec. We actually tried the screen at 1920 x 1080 and 144Hz refresh rate and it seemed to work fine, but maybe results will vary.

Source:

Operating Modes and Graphics Card Considerations

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm
12 REPLIES 12

X-ROG
Level 15
If you select 1920x1080 it auto-adjusts to full screen at 60Hz due to upscaling.
Then manually select 144Hz from the display options and it will readjust to 1:1 pixel mapping at 144Hz. This basically looks like a smaller display within your display with black bars around. No display can do scaling and ultra-fast pixel response.

MarshallR - Can you elaborate on this? Will the black bars be above/below the picture, left/right, or will it be a box around your image? Just curious as to how it "looks" if you are in this mode. If it just looks like cinema bars (above/below) that wouldn't be so bad at all.

Can you verify whether these black bars appear above/below, left/right, or as a box around the image in that scenario? If it's like cinema bars (above/below) that wouldn't be such a bad thing I imagine.

NavasC wrote:
Can you verify whether these black bars appear above/below, left/right, or as a box around the image in that scenario? If it's like cinema bars (above/below) that wouldn't be such a bad thing I imagine.

144Hz FHD scenario - there are black bars around it.
60Hz FHD scenario - it scales to fit the whole screen.

You can select either mode via the windows control panel, as Turbo Button won't work outside of native res.

willi23
Level 7
Scenario 1: My Desktop Resolution in Win8 is 2560x1440. Now i want to play a game (for example FPS). I set the ingame resultion on 1920x1080 added to this i want to play with 120Hz and ULMB. How would this Scenario look like?

willi23 wrote:
Scenario 1: My Desktop Resolution in Win8 is 2560x1440. Now i want to play a game (for example FPS). I set the ingame resultion on 1920x1080 added to this i want to play with 120Hz and ULMB. How would this Scenario look like?

I'll take a photo tomorrow and show you 🙂

willi23 wrote:

I'll take a photo tomorrow and show you 🙂

X-ROG
Level 15
This is what Full HD at 144Hz looks like:

kkn
Level 14
link not working