cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Matrix Platinum 290x Artifacts

Osirez
Level 7
I've been through a lot with this 290x. I have already RMA'ed this card once and Asus said they couldn't duplicate the problem. Maybe someone here can help me. First let me show you the problem:

Here are some of things I did to troubleshoot:

* Different power supply
* Tried different PCI x16 slots
* Downclocked every possible settings via Asus GPU Tweak
* Undervolted every possible settings via Asus GPU Tweak
* Reinstalled Windows to ensure no other software conflicts
* Flashed to latest UEFI provided by my motherboard manufacturer
* Tried the last 5 drivers provided by the AMD Radeon drivers site
* Tried the drivers linked on Asus
* Tried the latest beta drivers from AMD
* Tried it on Linux (same artifacts)
* Reset the BIOS
* Used several driver cleaners to wipe the old drivers

I'm at a stand still with this card and don't know what else to do. Like I said I've RMA'ed it once already. They sent me back the exact same card. Now they're saying something about needing a credit card to hold the cost of the card until the problem is resolved. I don't have that kind of money at the moment. And I'm pretty much stuck with a expensive high end GPU that I can't do anything with. Getting to the point where I might ditch it cheap on Ebay.
Killing them softly.
21 REPLIES 21

Menthol
Level 14
I have this card but I don't play games

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
I have the same card and had the same problem... I flipped the switch on the gpu to standard... And never had any problem again. Hope that works for you too.

Henkenator68NL wrote:
I have the same card and had the same problem... I flipped the switch on the gpu to standard... And never had any problem again. Hope that works for you too.

The heat switch?
Killing them softly.

Osirez
Level 7
I think I may be onto something. I upped the voltage on the GPU from 1250mV to 1400mV. The artifacts did not completely disappear but they're is definatley much much less artifacts. Almost unoticable in the Valley benchmark. Going to do more testing and see what happens.

Working on a video demonstrating the comparison between the and any advice would be much appreciated since I usually don't deal to much with changing voltages.
Killing them softly.

Henkenator68NL
Level 13
This is the switch I meant.

And you are probably right about the volts.

When not overclocked (= core 1050/mem 1350) you do not need to adjust anything to be able to play games. Trust me ... the artifacts are gone !

Henkenator68NL wrote:
This is the switch I meant.

And you are probably right about the volts.

When not overclocked (= core 1050/mem 1350) you do not need to adjust anything to be able to play games. Trust me ... the artifacts are gone !

I found the switch last night. It was already in the STD position.
Killing them softly.

Menthol
Level 14
The standard/LN2 switch should have been on standard from the factory, what power supply are you using, single or multiple 12v rail, if multiple you may need to make sure your card is on it's own rail or it may need more than one rail to supply enough current to the card. Large cards require more current than reference cards, from my personnel experience not having enough power supply causes not only artifacts, but sudden blue screens, restarts, over heating and other issues

Menthol wrote:
The standard/LN2 switch should have been on standard from the factory, what power supply are you using, single or multiple 12v rail, if multiple you may need to make sure your card is on it's own rail or it may need more than one rail to supply enough current to the card. Large cards require more current than reference cards, from my personnel experience not having enough power supply causes not only artifacts, but sudden blue screens, restarts, over heating and other issues

I have a XFX 650 Core Edition PSU and a 520 watt Seasonic I plugged directly into the aux. plugs on the GPU to see if it had enough power. I only buy single rail.
Killing them softly.

Osirez wrote:
I have a XFX 650 Core Edition PSU and a 520 watt Seasonic I plugged directly into the aux. plugs on the GPU to see if it had enough power. I only buy single rail.
Try with bigger wattage PSU