cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX480 Artifacting Bad - Need some advice

Retired
Not applicable
Well, I came to realize a couple days ago, tears were ripping on my screen when running Crysis when I had finally gotten it running. It wasn't too bad since I was so amazed by detail and able to even run it. Temps have been averaging 50-60c at idle and no higher than 92c under load. I know 92c is pretty high and I'm expecting that running my GPUs at that temperature for too long is a bad thing. I haven't though, longest than ran at that temp was about 30 minutes tops because I took the fans off auto and pumped it up to 70% speed to keep it around 83-85c.

I was just playing TF2 with Kaboom and before I connected I wanted to lower the temps even more so I threw an fps cap of 60 on via console. Hit up cp_castle4 and it was very noticeable and very annoying. I did some quick peaking and saw that it has to do with lack of voltage since it's a common thing to see when OCing. I'm just wondering if it's that.

Also wanted to double check to make sure that the cards aren't damaged.

I did a replay without the cap and it still was doing it a bit.

Just looking for someone to enlighten me on the situation. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

69_Goat
Level 7
What are your cards overclocked to?
What app are you using to monitor temps and voltages?
If you open GPU-Z (one instance for each card) and select the sensors tab, it will graph the temps, volts, clocks, etc.
Leave GPU-Z run in the background while you run the game for a while. When you close the game, check GPU-Z.
Post back with your findings.
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

Retired
Not applicable
It's at stock settings. I use Precision to monitor temps. I'll throw GPU-Z on tomorrow during some Crysis gameplay.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Just Furmark it.
see if you get tearing & artifacts at stock speeds.

Retired
Not applicable
Just about fried my card running Furmark. Temps shot up to 94c and I shut it down before it went higher. That's the highest I've seen my cards go. Didn't have any noticeable issues though.

ottoyu34
Level 9
That is totally fine because GTX480 runs that hot at stock. and the fan speed should be about 70%.
Since you live in Florida, I assume your room temp is quite high to see it adds up to the high temp.
you should see the temps will level off when it hits about 90C.
well, this is just to prove any faulty cards you might have.

But if you say you've seen artifacts during games, then there must be something faulty.

Retired
Not applicable
I'll do a full systems check tomorrow night. I'm pulling an all night to get my design project done for tomorrow morning. And I ensure airflow is prime in my room. I have a 2' window fan aimed at my PC when it's on to circulate air and keep my room at no hotter than 27c. I have my PnP rad blowing onto the cards as well. It actually toned temps down 5c. I'll post a "Victus' Noob Needs Help" thread and compile all my issues there than spreading them all over since I'm seeming to have a few. Thank you all for the patience to help me with my issues. I didn't think my first build would get THIS complicated. Thanks again and I'll try and get my finds on here soon.