cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first real ROG build

Mtiefenberg
Level 7
Hello guys

I have been running on an ancient Core2 Duo E6750 build for ages now and all i have been doing with that over the last few years was some moderate OC'ing of the cpu and upgrading memory and gpu as time went by. Last upgrade was a ASUS GTX 760 DCU2 OC gpu.
That kind of sparked my desire to build a new rig allmost from scratch to get a nice gaming rig that can stand the test of time... wich can't be said of my ancient rig anymore. So here we go.

It has to be said that my funds aren't limitless, since i am a student, and have a 2 year old son who needs to be spoiled often. 😛
I figgure he will get my old rig wich still runs most games pretty ok.

I have ordered components for the new build wich will center around a pretty basic ROG and Corsair Theme. I would welcome advice on this system, and hints on what performance i can expect from it. Also i would really like to know what kind of CPU OC would be realistic. My goal here is not to aim for 5Ghz but maybe a nice and comfortable 4.2-4.4Ghz that are rock stable. On to the parts list... Some parts i ordered simply because they fit beautifully into my theme of the Black and Red ROG colouring. Some because i just fell in love with them even if there might be better alternatives out there...

Once the parts come home i will post pics to document the build.

Parts List for the build:

Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White Case (despite of mediocre reviews i just love that case... so for me it is a must have.)
Intel Core I5 4690K (The I7 is a good deal more expensive and since it's a K-series i should be able to get some OC done on the I5)
Corsair AX860 PSU (Should deliver enough power for 2-way SLI, some moderate OC'ing and all the cooling needed. + design ofc...)
ASUS MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97 Mainboard (Just love that board and it's spec's and features... don't get me started on it's design...)
ASUS GTX760 DCU2 OC 2GB x2 (Will use the one from my current Rig and run them in an SLI Config. Still cheaper than a single 780ti or Titan)
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 Memory 4Gb 2133MHZ CL9 (Will get 2x RED and 2x Black because how they would match with the Hero)
Corsair Hydro Series 105 (To keep my CPU nice and cool)
3x Corsair SP120 PE Fans and 4 Corsair AF120 PE Fans (To keep that case nicely ventilated. and to retrofit the 105 fans with some red trim...)
ASUS ROG Front Base (Can monitor and control the Mainboard based fans, I like the features and ofc. for Bling effect...)
Aerocool Cooltouch-E Black (Fan-control for additional Fans)
ASUS BW 16D1HT Blu-Ray drive ( I have a lot of BR movies and this is not much of a choice for me...)
Plextor M6e M.2 2280 PX-G256M6E 256 GB (My hope is to run the OS and my most used games from this... Just hope it will work like that.)
I have 2 WD 1TB 7200RPM Harddrives that i will take from my current rig also for storage.
I also have a Line6 UX2 external Interface/Soundcard that i will carry over since i use my computer for my music too. (i play some guitar)

In theory and keeping my financial limit in mind this should be a pretty sweet system. Capable of most games at quite high settings, plus add room for me recording some music too. The Looks of it should be really nice with the C70's White and Black case and the internal Black and red theme. I will most likely not install more than one Red LED-Strip inside the case to keep it relatively dark + so the Hero's visuals don't drown in too much light. Later on i will replace the hideous Sidepanel window of the C70 with a light smoked Window. Much better than my current Blue-lit accidental transformer theme looking oddity of a case... 😮

Coments, hints and tips... also well founded criticism are more than welcome. :cool:

Regards

Marcus (Soon to be moddet right)
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
try and not to mix memory kits, you may end up with problems with compitability on them.
get 1 kit of the amount of ram you need since they have been tested to work together.

Mtiefenberg
Level 7
Thank you for the quick reply. 🙂

So even if the memory kits... it is basically 2 kits from the same brand... have the same specifications, GHZ, Timings and voltage, I can't be sure to run them both without issues? That is a bit worrying since the Hero Invites mixing the colours on the sticks. If so, how do other people equip their red and black slots? Tbh. only difference i see is colouring and ofc the product number.

Take these 2 kits for example... yes they are cl 11's but i could not find the link for a matching cl9 set.

CMY8GX3M2A2133C11 2x4gb 2133MHZ CL11 (Black)
CMY8GX3M2A2133C11R 2x4gb 2133MHZ CL11 (Red)

These could also cause compability issues? To me it is still just the colouring. Even the product number implies it.
Ofc if i am totally ignorant and missing out on something please correct me. It has been a while since i have made my last build and a lot has happened since. But i often see configurations with mixed coloured sticks to match the interior of a case. Is it just a lottery if it might work?

I foremost want a stable system. Looks are important, but not as important as stability. If you have any advice concerning a total of 16GB of XMP capable memory that would fit into a ROG themed case and... in a similar price range as the corsairs, i would be very gratefull.

I have set myself a goal not to skip corners concerning quality this time as i have done so many times before always causing myself great frustration, and in the end more expenses. My Missus has given me the go-ahead on this build under the condition that the build looks aestaetic this time. When you have limited living space and are forced to have your rig in your living room, you realize the importance of looks. But if my plan isn't doable i will just have to rethink.

Thanks again for input. 🙂

Regards

Marcus

kkn
Level 14
taken from g-skill's Q&A page ->

Q:
I want to install more memory, in addition to my existing memory kit. What are my options?

A:
We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

where are you going to order from?
komplett.dk? or some where else?

Mtiefenberg
Level 7
Ahh... just found a similar thread concerning memory here on this forum. "sigh" Well in that case...

I am ordering from Cinemagic.dk since i live close to their main store, and they have most items i was looking for.

Thank you for your answer. 😄

Well i guess it all comes down to timings and speed now then. No Mixing of kits. 16gb 2133MHZ CL11 < 16 GB 1600MHZ CL8?

Cheers

Marcus

kkn
Level 14
http://www.cinemagic.dk/shop/g-skill-tridentx-381178p.html

http://www.cinemagic.dk/shop/g-skill-tridentx-278970p.html

would enny of those 2 be of interest?
now those are 32gig kits, but if you are going for 16gig i would recommend a 2x8gig kit.
PSU, dont be afraid to do over kill on this since its your heart of your system.
a 860W will do ok, but if OC on CPU and GPU cards i would go for a 1000W to have some headroom.
not saying you HAVE to get a larger but headroom would be good 🙂

get a windows version that will support minimum 16gig of ram.

Thank you mate. 🙂

Will definately take those into my consideration. They would look great in my system. Albeit 32Gb seems a little Overkill for me. Especially if i consider my budget. So i am opting for the 16Gb kit http://www.cinemagic.dk/shop/g-skill-tridentx-348620p.html

As to the PSU... I think i'll stick with the AX860. Reason is that i don't oc the GPU's at all. The CPU will also just be oc'd moderately, so i should have room left not to stress the PSU too much. For me it is very much also a budget thing... for 200 extra watt's on paper i pay almost twice the price and atm that's just not doable for me. I guess i can at a later time always replace the 650W Core Edition PSU in my current Rig with the AX860 if i need more juice and want to upgrade to 1k+W. If i had the money i would also buy a ASUS ROG Matrix GTX780Ti instead of going for SLI 760GTX. Unfortunately i am on a tight budget.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate64. That should be fine.

Now the G.skill memory looks very sweet... will scour the net for reviews on them now. If they are great i will definately take those. In my original E6750 Rig i had originally bought G.skill Mem sticks twice... but they broke so fast that i totally discarded that brand and went to buy corsair instead. Never had any issues with corsair. But brand loyalty can also lead to frustration. So i think it is time for a shift. 🙂

Now i just have to figgure out what OC, with my new rig, would be realistic for the 4690K... All i seem to be able to find is just for the 4790K 😞

Thank you again for taking your time to help me like this. Really appreciate it. 🙂

Regards

Marcus

kkn
Level 14
well the majority of the users here use gskill when they bench.

i got the dominator platinum my self ( dont bench ) and they have worked good for me the past few years so far.
but then i only game so 😉

what OC you can expect? that depends on how lucky you get in the silicone lottery, some you can OC to 5gig easy, and some you can OC to 4.2.
so it is a 50/50 to be honest.

so for gaming and things like that around 4.4'ish is good.

ram from 1866mhz to 2133mhz range.
but when it comes to rendering and other things for example, higher clocks on the memory can help you out and compile files faster. ( but how fast i dont know compare to slower memory clocks ).
and normal day to day you will not notice enny diffrence TBH.

Mtiefenberg
Level 7
Found a review so far that states that the xmp tends to fail with tridentX's at 2400Mhz. thats 1 out of 4 reviews i am through so far. Not too good.

Review is german tho... so who kows 😛

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/arbeitsspeicher/25611-gskill-trident-x-2400-mh...

I mostly game and use my computer for my music. Other stuff happens pretty rare...

4.2-4.4 was my goal. So that would be perfect. Regardless... Immagine coming from a E6750 OC'd to 3ghz 4 gb of memory... lol... to the system i am building... It will be pretty nice...

What puzzles me tho is that my current rig still runs most games at decent settings... but high settings or even ultra are just a no go. The GPU might pull it, but is severely bottlenecked by the rest of the system.

Will get my Case tomorrow allong with some of the Fans... I might look into a bit of modding to pass the time untill the rest arrives.

Made some significant changes to the build. Through ordering from a different supplyer i can upgrade several parts for just a little more money than the previous build had planned.

Instead of the Core I5 4690K i will get the I7 4790K
Instead of the corsair sticks i will go for G.Skill Trident X F3-2133C9D-16GTX
Instead of the Corsair AX860 PSU i will get the Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 1KW

That should do my system good.

Case arrived today. Yay 🙂