cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first ROG build and it's not working. CPU Temperature Over error. Please help.

DaShakkaKhan
Level 7
Ok this the first time ever I have tried building a PC. I even invited an experienced friend over to figure what was going wrong and failed. As soon as I setup the system I keep getting the CPU temperature Over error. I spent three months of researching before I tried this build.

I can't tell if my liquid cooler is working or not. How do I figure it out? And should I just replace with regular heatsink instead? How do I tell that is actually the cooling unit and not some default overclock setting (everything is set to default in BIOS, I have touched nothing yet)?

Here are my build specs

Intel i7-4930K LGA 2011 64
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition EATX DDR3 2133 Intel LGA 2011
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 2133 MHz
EVGA GeForce TITAN BLACK
Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i
Cooler Master V1000

I know the build is a little over the top for a first PC build but I needed an extremely powerful PC for video editing and 3D design and being a big time gamer the Asus Rampage seemed like the obvious choice. I guess three months of research weren't enough or I listened to the wrong people. Please help.
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
power and all that is given to the H100i and its plugged in to the CPU header on the motherboard?
when powering on the pc, hold your hand on the waterblock on the CPU, it should vibrate a lill when the pump is working, if its not working it dont vibrate. ( can be power related too ).

how long does it go until the pc shuts off when it gets hot?

is it in windows ( aka ai-suite) you get this error??

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi DaShakkaKhan and welcome to ROG.

A couple of things will give a temperature over error. Assuming you have all connections from PSU to MB are correctly installed!!

You will have to remove your CPU, as this is a common cause, where you have a poor thermal contact with the Water cooler.

It is always best to benchtest outside your case initially, to avoid having to do this.

It is also possible there is a faulty sensor on the MB, less likely.

When you remove the CPU, clean the surfaces well with alcohol and apply only a small pea sized amount of Arctic Silver in the middle of the heat sink.
You only need enough to spread a very thin layer when under compression, Tighten down a little at a time from each corner and don't over tighten.

It is difficult to determine the actual flow of the H100 being a closed loop system, But under load you can feel the heat being carried away from the CPU when you carefully hold the exit tube. I have not encountered a failure yet unless, you do not cable up correctly.

Also, depending at what point you encountered the error, you may encounter problems when you boot into windows if indeed that is where the error occurred.

When starting up next, observe the Qcode readout should it fail transition into ACPI and report back with the readout.

Should you make a successful transition into your OS, then you can gather more specific readings.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]