cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PWM mode on CHA_FAN4 connector - Maximus VII Hero

Rixcoast
Level 7
Hi. First time poster! Having a strange problem with my new Maximus VII Hero MB and my case fans.

I've got four Cooler Master Jetflo 120 red LED PWM fans around my case. They are all connected to the CHA_FAN 1 to 4 connectors on the MB. I've set the fans to PWM in the BIOS.

The fans connected to 1, 2 and 3 behave as I expect - the LEDs stay on continually and the fans turn on and speed up as needed.

However, the fan connected to CHA_FAN4 behaves like it is in DC mode - the fan LEDs get brighter and dimmer depending on the fan speed, and it's speed can not be set as slow as the others.

I have swapped the connectors around so I know I don't have a faulty fan. Have also tried resetting the CMOS and updating the BIOS.

I'm inclined to think there is a problem with the CHA_FAN4 PWM driver but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

Karlo666
Level 7
Same problem here.
In BIOS i see my case fan and its fuctioning fine but when i boot to windows and load AIDA64 i only see CPU Fan,Cha fan 1 and Cha fan 3.
I connected one case fan to CHAFAN4 but i dont see it in AIDA64.
But when i switch it back to CHAFAN3 its there.

Nite01
Level 7
I have a problem with the CHAFAN_4 connector too. I have 3 PWM fans on the case, all set to PWM mode in the BIOS. The ones connected on CHAFAN_2 and CHAFAN_3 works fine, while the one on CHAFAN_4 stops spinning after a few minutes on normal cpu usage. If i set it as DC in the BIOS, it works fine.
Also, if i connect the same fan to CHAFAN_1 instead of CHAFAN_4, it works normally also in PWM mode.

Raja
Level 13
I will ask HQ to replicate.

Can you change fan speeds for the header in UEFI and see if the symptoms are the same when you reBOOT the system (after changing the speed)?

Also eac of you need to list the fan model being used (list part numbers).

Hey everyone. Thanks for your responses. It's good to know I'm not the only one having issues as I dread the thought of having to return my MB to get another the same.

Raja, I can control fan speed in the UEFI but the fan connected to CHA_FAN4 seems to operate in DC mode even when PWM mode has been set (in other words, the fan speed can still be controlled to an extent, but I'm not able to set it to operate at slow speeds, and the LEDs fade up and down depending on the power going to the fan). The fan behaves in this way even after a reboot.

I am using four Cooler Master R4-JFDP-20PR-R1 (Red) fans. Thanks.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Also eac of you need to list the fan model being used (list part numbers).

All of my case fans are Noctua NF-A14 PWM

schoolofmonkey
Level 7
I'm having the same issue (same board)
I have a fan on Chassis 3, there's nothing on Chassis 4, but as you can see AIDA64 isn't picking it up.

Raja
Level 13
You might want to email the AIDA developer about it.

NicMic
Level 7
Same here : a SilentWings 2 PWM works fine on 1-3 but stops on 4.

Have the same problem. I have a Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan plugged into CHA4 and it will only work correctly if set to DC. Setting to PWM once I boot to Windows it stops. It will occasionally begin to barely spin then stop.