cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero getting error code 55

Mykli
Level 7
Hey,

I have a problem when starting up my new computer.
I get a Q-code saying 55 "Memory not installed"
I'm using 2x Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport
Sometimes it just restarts over and over and over...

Read on the forum that my CPU fan could cause a problem, but I took this off, and remounted it.

I put one RAM chip in the B2 slot and it works...

The motherboard is brand new, so I'm basically asking to see if it's my fault or if it's Asus's fault.

Anyone got any ideas?

Regards
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello Mykli, Welcome to the ROG forum.

What is the speed of your RAM and how many GB? Have you tried the other stick in slot A2?

Mykli
Level 7
Hey,

The speed is 1600MHz at 8gb a piece, so 16gb total.
I've tried them both, they both work in slot B2 and B1, but not in A1 and A2. Seems like that slot is dead.

Nate152
Thank you,

Try clearing the cmos, if that doesn't get it working it is possible you might have a couple of bent cpu socket pins. You could try removing your cpu cooler and cpu and inspect the cpu socket for any bent pins with a magnifying glass. Look carefully and make sure they are all evenly spaced as they should be.

Ok, I took a look earlier, and for my naked eye it looked like all the pins were laid flat, but it looked OK. Are they supposed to be flat or have I ruined something?

Also I tried using both in B1 and B2 at the same time, and now it starts and I have 16gb of ram installed(says the BIOS)

Yea, that's what I meant with flat, more like crooked or something. It looks ok and I will just ship it back, to get a new one.

Thanks for the help Nate152 🙂

Nate152
No they are not flat, I'm not sure of your board but the socket pins will look similar to this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/CPU_Socket_775_T.jpg

click on the photo to make it larger.

Look carefully at your cpu socket with a magnifying glass, you will be able to tell if there are any that are bent.

Nate152
You're welcome,

You can call asus tech support and tell them your problem and once they confirm it's your mother board, they will set you up an RMA.

Mykli
Level 7
Here I just have to send it back to the store and they have to fix everything. Gotta love Norwegian rules. Thanks again.