Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

FX-9590 Crosshair V Formula-Z freezes

Hi,

I won a water-cooled FX-9590 PC in a sweepstake and I'm having some trouble with it. The PC freezes randomly after 20-30 minutes when playing a game but it strongly depends on the game. Battlefield 4 via Mantle API runs stable for hours i.e. while other games like Alien Colonial Marines or Wolfenstein The New Order crash with a freeze after 1-2 hours. The worst is Lego Movie Videogame (that my daughter wants to play). It's crashing after 20-30 minutes randomly. I updated all drivers and even the BIOS.

Specs:
    AMD FX-Series FX-9590
    Corsair Hydro Series H80i (with installed Link software running balanced profile + registry patched Win 8.1)
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Mainboard (Optimized Default BIOS preset)
    16 GB Corsair DDR3 1600 RAM (2x 8GB)
    PowerColor Radeon R9 290 TurboDuo 4GB
    2000 GB HDD
    120GB SSD (Samsung 840)
    Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW
    1000 Watt Silverstone Strider SST-ST1000-P, Corsair Graphite 600T
    Windows 8.1 64-bit - AMD Catalyst 14.4 - other drivers updated recently

Any idea how I can start debugging the issue? FurMark GPU 15 min stress test succeeded but I have no clue how to run Prime95 properly. I somehow feel that setting "balanced" instead of "quiet" in the Corsair Link software helped with the stability but this might be a coincidence. I don't want to run the "performance" preset as it's definitively too loud. The CPU temperature doesn't seem to go beyond 65° C on load and is around 45° C in idle mode.
    Last edited by megaD; 07-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.

ROG Member Array

Make sure you have both EPS 12V (8-pin AND4-pin) sockets populated. I'm having the exact same problem as you're describing - CPU-hungry programs (Premiere Pro and a few other minor games in my case) are making the system freeze forcing me to do a hard reset.
    MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z // 2101
    CPU - AMD FX-9590 // 4716 MHz
    COOLER - Cooler Master Seidon 240M
    RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red // 1600MHz
    HDD - WD 2TB Black
    GPU - Asus GeForce GTX 770 DirectCu II OC // Boost 1130MHz, Mem 7050MHz
    PSU - Corsair CX Series 750W PSU
    CASE - Aerocool X-Predator X3 Black/Red
    OS - Windows 8.1 64-bit

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

If more intense games cause more frequent freezing, and changing the cooling profile from quiet to balanced help; then, I'm inclined to believe it's a heat dissipation issue with the CPU.

Those 9500 CPUs run HOT HOT HOT!! Others in this forum have used the H80 also with the same CPU, and had overheating issues. You may consider upgrading the cooling solution to an H110 or H100 or downgrading the CPU, but wait for others' advice as well. I would say that an idle temp of 45°C is way too high, as I doubt you're in a room that's 40°C.

If you want to test based on that assumption; then, with Prime95, load the executable, a window should appear that is titled "Run a Torture Test." "Blend" should be selected already, and number of threads should be 8. Then, just click "OK" and monitor your CPU temperatures.

It is very possible that the CPU will heat faster than the software will display your CPU temperature; so, if your system locks in the 50 to 60°C range, it's probably because you're not cooling well enough. My experience with that CPU is, with my high efficiency CUSTOM cooling solution, idle temp should be no more than 7°C above the room temp, and no more than 35°C above room temp when heavily loaded (Prime95).

Z

Edit: @james: Good call there - that would be important also.
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Member Array

Will check the power connectors and also run Prime95 (thanks for the quick into) as suggested once I get home . The PC has been assembled pretty sloppy so it's likely they forgot that. The manufacturer forgot to connect he CPU heatsink-part of the H80i with the mainboard USB-port so the Corsair Link software didn't work at all initially. They probably lost the cable and sent me a totally new H80i as a replacement. Without controlling it via Link the H80i was loud as hell. I have to admit I didn't use any special cooling paste but just the included layer of contact material when I mounted it.

ROG Member Array

I got the 8-pin EPS 12V connector to 4+4 in the mail/post today via UPS from Corsair. Plugged it in, hope it would mean my PC didn't freeze anymore. Froze just 2 hours into playing Garry's mod. So angry!

As Dr. Zchivago said, heat dissipation from the CPU is VERY important with the 9590... I may have put just a little tooooo much thermal paste on. It was my first build so I'm inexperienced too. I might take the CPU heatsink (CM Seidon 240M) off, clean it with a bit of alcohol and then put a 'pea-sized' bit of thermal paste on the CPU instead of covering the whole thing and smoothing it out like the guys on Newegg did with on their tutorial. Wish me luck!
    HDD - WD 2TB Black
    OS - Windows 8.1 64-bit

ROG Member Array

Good luck jamesb! I see there is a third power connector on the mainboard. Manual says it's a 4 pin EZ_PLUG. Do I need it? I connected it just in case. The 4 Pin is connected too.
    Last edited by megaD; 07-07-2014 at 08:29 PM.

ROG Member Array

Thank you!

Unless you have got a two or three card graphics set up in SLI/Crossfire, then I would say just leave it. It's something to do with supplying more power to the pcie lanes when you have a dual/tri GPU set up to make ithe system more stable (from what I've read on it - somebody correct me if I'm wrong!)
    HDD - WD 2TB Black
    OS - Windows 8.1 64-bit

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

My attitude is: if you've got an extra molex line, plug it in. Better to have available power and not need it...

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Member Array

I ran the Prime95 stress tests and only the performance preset of the Link software is stable. It's stabilizing the temperature at 47 deg C. Idle is 30 deg C. The test ran for about an hour. The room temperature today was 24 deg C. Unfortunately it's pretty loud. What's interesting is that righy after booting it's around 45 deg C for a moment but I guess this is because the CPU load is high when booting. When I find time I'll remount the heatsink with special cooling paste.

I also consider underclocking. Any advice what BIOS settings make sense? Can I apply clocks and voltages of a 9370 maybe?
    Last edited by megaD; 07-08-2014 at 07:34 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Mega, I would just replace the fans...try the Corsair SP120 (quiet edition) like i did. Even at full speed they are dead silent compared to the stock fans I had before (and probably yours too, from the sound of it).

BTW, the only way I was able to get the stock fans down to a reasonable volume level and provide adequate cooling at the same time was to underclock the 9590 to 4.0ghz (fx-8350 levels) and 1.275 voltage. It was stable, but thats quite a step down in speed from what you are supposed to be getting with a 9590.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast