cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crosshair v formula-z only using half of ram

Turncoat_Tony
Level 7
I've just noticed this issue after about six months of using the board... I noticed that I wasn't running as fast as I used to with my sabertooth 990fx(original, not r2) but never looked into it until recently, I figured after some updates and whatnot I'd be back to normal but it never happened. 😕

Anyways, the issue is that only half of my ram is getting used and it's only running in single channel mode. I've checked to make sure my CPU has all of it's pins and none are bent, I've reseated it with the same results.

I've tried running my memory in A1+B1, A2+B2 with both having the same results of only using half of my memory even though in the bios it shows both sticks and the correct amount on each stick but only shows 4096 total memory in the BIOS. Windows shows 8GB of memory but only 3.91 usable and CPU-Z shows 8GB under memory and each stick in SPD shows as being the correct size as well.

I've tried D.O.C.P with the memory at 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24@1.65v per memory specs, 2200mhz nb frequency and ht link.
I've tried auto at 1333mhz at 1.5v(which is what it ran at on my old board).

When I run the memory in A1+A2, the system utilizes all 8GB of RAM but still in single channel mode. I've tried with ECC enabled and disabled.

I've searched around but haven't really found a solution to my problem though, I've seen a few people have had the issue. Anyone have any suggestions on anything to try or am I looking at having to RMA this board? I was thinking about downgrading the BIOS and seeing if it works in an older version but I'm a little hesitant.

Been working on this for quite a while so if I left anything out, let me know.

System specs is as follows:
ASUS Crosshair v Formula-z(BIOS 2101)
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
EVGA Nvidia 660Ti SC
Kingston HyperX Genesis KHX1600C9D3/4g x2
OCz 750 PSU

7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Turncoat Tony and welcome to ROG.

I would first of all reflash your Bios using the USB to ROG connect method, Safe and simple.

Should this not help, you may have to inspect the pins on your CPU.

Should that not help, then test each module with Memtest86.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Turncoat Tony and welcome to ROG.

I would first of all reflash your Bios using the USB to ROG connect method, Safe and simple.

Is there a recommended BIOS to use? I'm on the latest version and having the issue. I was thinking about downgrading to see if it was a BIOS issue, do you have a BIOS to recommend other than the latest?

MeanMachine wrote:
Should this not help, you may have to inspect the pins on your CPU.

I've looked at the pins on my CPU, they are all straight and none are missing. I've reseated the CPU with new thermal paste and everything and still having the same issue.

MeanMachine wrote:
Should that not help, then test each module with Memtest86.

I've ran this as well with successful results. The memory even works in my old motherboard(was a bitch to find out, I have a custom water cooling loop which is a pain to deal with).

It's simply just not working with this motherboard and I can't figure out why. lol. I'm thinking about just upgrading my memory but I don't want to do it to find out that it's just my motherboard and I have to send it back anyways.

I do software development for a living and I do it from home. My laptop is in an RMA process and I simply can't afford to ship off this motherboard as well and go weeks without a computer.

I'm hoping someone may be able to chime in and set the issue straight. It appears there's a few people with this issue but I haven't found a straight answer to the solution, only that people have found them.

The only way I can get half use out of my ram is to run in A1+A2 or B1 and B2 rather than the A1+B1 that you would normally run. Though, even when it's using 8GB, it's still only in single channel mode(which is from running the memory in the A1+A2 or the B1+B2 slots)...

Just hoping to not do an RMA, I can't wait that long for a replacement for something I spent that much money on. I know how slow the RMA process is. 😕

Any suggestions or any info I left out that may help out with the situation?

Thanks for the welcome, btw. 😄 Glad to finally be here. 😄 Was sad when I couldn't join the ROG community back when I got my original sabertooth 990fx. lol I think the box said I would be able to but I wasn't. lol 😄

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Somewhere, in this forum, there is an article posted about memory and how it functions/reads. You should really read it.

If anyone knows where this article is, please link it; I can't seem to find it.

Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
Somewhere, in this forum, there is an article posted about memory and how it functions/reads. You should really read it.

If anyone knows where this article is, please link it; I can't seem to find it.

Z

I know how memory works. I know how to set the timing properly as well for my RAM. The issue is the motherboard doesn't seem to understand the same concept. lol

Though, if you think you can school me on memory(I've been doing this crap for over twenty years, I'm kind of experienced, don't call me a pro though. lol) feel free to drop the link.

DekonX
Level 9
Hi turncoat tony. I had this issue when I installed my new ram I upgraded to 2 8gig sticks of 2400 corsair Vengeance pro series. However my issue was resolved by swapping the sticks around the one that was in the 2nd slot to the 1st slot and the one from the first in the second. Not sure why this fixed the issue but it did.

While im going to say this is a dumb question. How is the ram positioned?

It should look like the above posted image. If it does, please dont assume im calling you dumb or anything of the nature. However I know in several of my old mobos it has been different for almost each one. Some going in slots next to each other, some leaving the slot closest to the cpu empty since its slot 4 then doing the 2nd and 4th slot.

This is simply an inquisitive question. It could be the issue I am however asking since usually simple mistakes will ruin your day.

Also if it is like above pictured. Have you tried swapping it to the other two slots since both will run in dual channel if there is compatible memory in those slots.
AMD 9590 (4.7ghz)
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
12Gig DDR3 1333
XFX R9 280x
Corsair RM850
Nanoxia Deep Silence 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
It would seem your DIMMs are not playing fair with your MB Turncoat Tony and may just not be compatible.

I have checked and your DIMMs are listed on the QVL, so they should be compatible.

If it was me, I would obtain another set to try, rather than having to strip your system down to RMA the MB.

yes I know the extra expence is a nuisance (unless you can borrow some to try) but the alternatives are worse.

You certainly seem to know what you are doing, as you have have tried all things to fix this, and clearing CMOS, Swapping slots and trying all the various timing settings in Bios, I dont see an alternative.

Searching around , Others have had similar but not exactly the same as yours and I have not managed to find a resolve.

I hope you have some luck and please let us know how you get on.:o
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

madmax113
Level 7
i had the same problem and i searched for solutions everywhere but nothing worked. ran the MemOK! button to check the ram and it gave an error 50 which states incompatible ram. then i tested another set of ram with same results. ended up swapping out my mb with an old board i had just to get the same result. ended up being my cpu that got damaged. wheni replaced my cpu and reinstalled again everything worked 100%. hope that helps