cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q code 55 error

rolldog
Level 9
Well, I finally got all my new parts installed and got my system put back together. I added a Corsair H100i with a push/pull configuration, and I changed out all my cables to some custom made individually sleeved cables, and I installed all new fans. When I turned it on last night, my Asus Maximus VI Formula MB gave me an error 55 on its Q code display, which means a RAM problem. I moved the RAM around, reseated it, tried using 1 stick, loosened up my CPU cooler to make sure everything was on straight, and I even used different RAM, but this error 55 won't go away. The RAM slots are clean, no dust or debris. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try? Everything was working fine before I added these things, but now I'm getting an error code 55 and it really sucks. Is there any way for me to reset my BIOS to factory default settings manually since I can't even get anything on the screen or get to the BIOS setup or does anyone think this will even make a difference? I'm just running out of options. The H100i has 2 fan headers and I have the pump connection, which is a 3 pin connector, hooked up to my CPU fan connector. The stock CPU fan was a 4 pin, but this one says I can hook it up to any fan connection on the MB. It doesn't say it specifically needs to be hooked up to the CPU fan connection. I'm just running out of options and the only thing that I can think of next is to start taking everything off that I just installed. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello rolldog,

Remove the H100i water block and cpu from the cpu socket and inspect the socket with a magnifying glass for any bent or misaligned pins. If you do have some bent pins you can straighten them with a small thin bladed pocket knife. Be very careful if you have to straighten any.

After doing this remount your water block just making it snug. Sometimes uneven pressure can cause code 55 so when remounting, make sure there is even tension on all 4 screws. Connect the hH100i power connector to a chassis fan header and connect the fans to the cpu fan header.

jab383
Level 13
As for resetting BIOS to factory default, that's what the CLEAR CMOS button on the rear panel does - button with the green arrow pointing around a circle.

After you check out what Nate152 suggested, while PSU power is still off, lean on that button for a few seconds. When you power up, BIOS should be in a like-new condition.

Jeff

I tried everything nate152 said, but I'm still getting the 55 çode. When I power the system on and the numbers on the Q code are scrolling through, it stops for a brief second on two other codes. Are these codes that apply to my system, or if more than one code applied, would the Q code flash through the different codes at the end instead of staying on code 55?

jab383
Level 13
The Q-code displays a number related to the test or step of its process that BIOS is doing at the time. As it goes through all its checks, initializations and programming, many codes flash normally. If they just flash, that's a good thing. The one code the display stops on is the one where the BIOS process stopped. For some codes like A0, that's a good thing because that is a good finish and hand-off to Windows.

55? Not so good. As you gathered, that's a memory error that made the BIOS process stop with the 55 code showing.

Since you have tried the RAMs one at a time with no luck, I think you're stuck swapping out the other stuff that is new -- cables at least.

Jeff

NemesisChild
Level 12
I would not hook up the H100i pump to the CPU fan header, both fans should be connected here.
Have you tried disabling the fan control options in the bios with your current setup?
Reading over your post a few times, I would also zero in on your custom sleeved cables.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

rolldog
Level 9
Thinking back, what would have been more logical would have been to install the H100i first, and then make sure the system is operating properly before changing the cables. Now I'm stuck troubleshooting a whole lot of things since I changed everything at the same time. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go back through everything I changed out, one piece at a time, until I can find the solution. Since I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, this might have to wait until I get back. I'll follow your suggestions and post back any updates. I really appreciate the advice. I glad there are forums like this.

rolldog
Level 9
Well, I've been out of town for a week but was able to work on my system today to try and get it working. Ever since installing my new H100i and custom sleeved cables, my Asus Maximus VI Formula ROG MB has been giving my a Q Code 55, which means a problem with the memory. I've taken the memory out, tried 1 piece at a time, still won't boot. I unhooked my H100i completely and put the stock CPU cooler on it and it still won't boot. I just spent $200 ordering replacement memory, which hopefully will come in today, and if that doesn't work, then it's gotta be my MB. I also pressed the MemOK button, and it starts flashing slowly, then it gets faster, and then faster blinking and then it stops. I have no idea what this means, but I'm still getting an error 55 Q code. Also, the DRAM LED next to where the PSU hooks up to the 24 pin, or however many it is, stays lit. Again, this points to memory problems. When my new memory arrives, I'll be able to change out my current memory with new memory, and if this doesn't fix it, then I must have a problem with my MB, which is about 3 months old. I'very reset the BIOS, unhooked everything that's not absolutely necessary, pulled out my graphics card since resetting the BIOS will probably reset it back to using the on board graphics display. I wish I had more parts at my disposal to swap out, but once my new memory comes in, and if it still doesn't work, then I'm about 99% sure I have a MB problem. If anyone can think of something else I could try to narrow things down, please let me know. The good thing about this Asus MB is this Q code display and the LEDs that light up if you're having a particular problem to help pinpoint the issue pretty quick.

Nate152

jab383
Level 13
The MemOKL button starts the flashing on the next boot attempt. The flashing speeds up on each different setting the MemOK process tries. The different flash rates only indicate that many options were tried.

MemOK, clearing CMOS to reset BIOS, lifting and reseating the CPU and its cooler, trying DRAM one stick at a time and trying the four sockets one at a time are the usual troubleshooting steps. You don't mention lifting the CPU. While it's up, check for bent socket pins. I don' t see mention of trying all the RAM sockets. Did you? One time I got a persistent 55 code, a pair of sockets wouldn't function. It turned out that DRAM channel A of the CPU went out. I had to replace the CPU instead of RAM. It's worth checking all the sockets.

Jeff