Congratulation
    I have almost the same spec :
    Intel i7 4930K
    Asus Rampage IV
    2x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 10-12-12-31 1.65V
    Cooler Master Seidon 240 CPU cooling

I OC at 4.4 only but I know now I'll could try more

ROG Enthusiast Array Son_of_Altair's Avatar

I think I got very lucky with my chip at first I managed to stabilize it on manual voltage of 1.385 at a clock of 4.7GHz, However I found that using offset mode I could only get up to 4.6GHz as the fluctuations were causing the temps to go too High at 4.7GHz. It now runs at temps between 65c-75c under load at a clock of 4.6GHz with a voltage of 1.344V Under full load and drops all the way back to 1V during idle.
    Thanks again to Nate152 for your assistance, really helped a newbie out.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

You're welcome,

You're right all I did was assist. For a newb you really seem to know what you're doing.

Have fun with it and enjoy your new machine.

ROG Member Array

Hi there, maybe i can jump in on this discussion cause I am close to a Newbie too when it comes to overclocking.

Just bought myself a 4930k and the Asus Rampage IV BE Mainboard with Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2133 DIMM CL9 Quad Kit.
    I already read some articles and tried some oc on my new components. What i can say so far is that my system is running stable on 4.5 GHz with DRAM Clock of 1600 MHz at 1.424 Vcore Voltage. All i did was using a preset for the cpu which gave the options of 4.1, 4.3 and 4.5 GHz and set the DRAM Clock to 1600 MHz. Vcore is still on Auto setting.

After I have read through your thread I was wondering if i could get a higher DRAM Clock by switching to XMP Profile. Changed the CPU Ratio to 45 too and gave it a try. Vcore still on Auto setting.

At first Windows (8.1 Pro 64 Bit) was working fine until i played some bf4. After a few minutes i had a BSOD. So i switched back to 1866 MHz and tried again but again BSOD after a few minutes of gaming.

Is this now a memory or a cpu Vcore Voltage issue ? Hope you guys are still in the mood for a little oc lesson for a Newbie

Thx in advance !

ROG Enthusiast Array Son_of_Altair's Avatar

Hi Ronario

I found that the presets put far too much voltage on the core I would recommend not using them and it is most likely what is causing your bsod because temps are getting too high because of the voltage.

These are the steps I took to getting this set up:
    1. load optimized defaults, you don't want any of the profile settings effecting your oc
    2. Turn off cpu level up, I found that this put far too much voltage on cpu as for-mentioned
    3. Turn on X.M.P mode and go to your manufacturers website and find you ram timings and voltages and manually input them, I run my 2400MHz RAM at rated speed and my cpu still supports it.
    4. Start with manual mode first and use 1.4V on VCore and 45 Multiplier as a starting point, with that voltage you should be able to get 4.7GHz if you have a chip as good as mine but lets focus on tuning 4.5Ghz in now. Also I would note that most articles I've read on the 4930k have said that 1.4V on Vcore is the max you should use.
    5. Now its time to boot, you should be able to get a trial version of AIDA64 to get you started in stability testing, also try and find RealTemp 3.70 as I have found it useful tracking my temps. Also make sure you have CPU-Z or some similar version I believe AIDA64 has a built in one but I prefer the ROG skin.
    6. Start a stress test and keep and eye on your temps if they go over 80c I would be cautious and anywhere near 85c I would stop the test and go back to BIOS. I usually run the basic stress test for about an hour because any major stability issues will typically occur then.
    7. Lower the voltage, try pulling it down in 0.010 intervals at first and when you get closer go to 0.005 intervals. After each voltage change re run the stability test and when you find it becomes unstable that is usually as low as you will get it. I'm sure you will get less than 1.3V.

Once you get a low enough voltage and stability you can try for maybe 4.6GHz or even 4.7GHz when your happy with that I would recommend switching to offset mode keeping in mind your full load voltage as that is what you want to aim to sit at.

ROG Enthusiast Array EXILE157 PC Specs
    EXILE157 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus X99-M WS
    Processori7-6850K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    Sound CardCorsair ST100
    MonitorSharp Quattron
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB
    CPU CoolerNzxt Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Evolv mATX TG (Black)
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
    Mouse Corsair Dark Core
    Headset Skullcandy Crusher w / Mod Mic 4
    Mouse Pad Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB
    OS Win10 Pro 64

Hi' I'm new to this OC and I also have the Rampage IV Black Edition now, I have the Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3 @ 1600, but its reading it @ 1333 default, how do I set my memory to 1600 and can I just do the memory? without OC CPU? or does that all take part in OC?

Spec :
    - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    - Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz
    - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4) DDR3/1600MHz
    - Corsair H100i
    - Corsair AX1200W
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Superclocked w / Backplate ( 2X ) 8GB SLI
    -Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD

I'm a bit afraid to get into this OC!....I don't have the time or money to go f&^% my setup...lol
    Last edited by EXILE157; 07-28-2014 at 11:16 AM.

ROG Member Array

Actually my settings with 4.5 GHZ and everythng on auto werent stable at all. Had some BSOD again yesterday while gaming.
    So i changed back to XMP Profile with Memory Clock of 2133 MHz and just raised the CPU Multiplier to 40. I downloaded Aida 64 and did a stresstest for an hour without any problems. Max. Temp of one core was 75 c with a Voltage of 1.328 V

Will now try OC again with your step by step guide. if i don´t set my pc on fire you will hear from me again Big THX !!!

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse Razer Basilisk

Quote Originally Posted by EXILE157 View Post
    Hi' I'm new to this OC and I also have the Rampage IV Black Edition now, I have the Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3 @ 1600, but its reading it @ 1333 default, how do I set my memory to 1600 and can I just do the memory? without OC CPU? or does that all take part in OC?

Spec :
    - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
    - Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 6-Core 3.4GHz
    - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4) DDR3/1600MHz
    - Corsair H100i
    - Corsair AX1200W
    - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Superclocked w / Backplate ( 2X ) 8GB SLI
    -Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD

I'm a bit afraid to get into this OC!....I don't have the time or money to go f&^% my setup...lol

Hello EXILE157,

You can set the memory without overclocking the cpu.
    Go into the bios on the extreme tweaker tab and set the ai overclock tuner to X.M.P. F10 and enter.

ROG Member Array

Somehow its not working properly for me. I loaded the defaults, turned off cpu level up, activated xmp, checked settings from memory which i found on manufacturers website (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/dominat...32gx3m4a2133c9) and set the multipier to 45 and VCore to 1.40

AIDA ran for 1:30 mins and then system just froze. Do i have to deactivate additional settings in the bios like Speedstep or turbo ?

I didnt change any settings for the memory cause of what i have read on the hompage and what was shown in the bios looked the same to me. Maybe it wasn´t the correct link i was looking at.

Some other strange thing is, when the program CoreTemp is loaded, manually or at startup doesnt matter, the whole system freezes for a moment and task manager (if i was fast enough starting it) showed CPU at 100% load.
    Never had that behaviour with my old system before.

Additionally i have to mention that i changed HW without reinstalling my OS. Everything went fine after changing HW, Just had to install two additional drivers. So i the problem shouldn´t be my Windows due to the fact that its running stable with 4.0 GHz.

Thx again for any help.

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse Razer Basilisk

Don't use the presets for overclocking, do it manually. What cpu cooler do you have?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast