cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with new Rampage IV Black build

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi.

I have just gotten a lot of goodies for a new PC build. The parts I have are listed below.

CPU: i7 4930K
Memory 64GB Gorsair Vengeance Pro 2400C11R
Motherboard Rampage IV Black Edition
Operating drive: RAIDR Express (Slot 2)
GPU's: 2x Poseidon Platinum GTX 780 in SLI (Slots 1&3)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

I can't get the system to run 64GB of memory under XMP; the system boots, but then BSOD's on the desktop. It won't run prime 95 with 64GB @ 1600MHz either, in fact, it will only run 64GB @ 1333MHz, and is using 1.3v to do it. This is on a stock multiplier as well! It doesn't matter what I change in the bios, it won't go any higher. I have tested both 32GB kits of this memory on my old Maximus V Gene with an i5 3570k. That CPU ran the memory in XMP, with an overclock of 4.4GHz @ 1.38v, but I was never able to get it to 4.5GHz, even with 8GB @ 1333MHz. The Rampage IV Black and 4930K will run 32GB @ 2400, but again, is using 1.285v, which seems a bit high. I'm pretty sure I just have a dud chip, with a really weak memory controller.

I have got the latest BIOS version; this was the first thing I did after XMP failed. Does anyone have any opinion on this, as I was going to RMA my CPU for this memory problem (as far as I'm aware, it should have no problem running this memory, especially without a multiplyer increase). Is there though, something wrong with my board? Is the board what's stopping the system from running 64GB @ 2400? When the system has booted, I have the Q-code "AA" so it seems fine, but it hasn't "just worked" for me since I got it the other day. I noticed that JJ from ASUS built a similar system, using this board, a 4960X, and 64GB of 2133MHz Memory, so I'm sure mine should be able to run 64GB at more than 1333MHz.

I'll also add, regarding the CPU, that although it's using a high voltage, the temps on each core never exceed 54° when running prime95. This, of course is at 1333MHz, as I can't get it to run anything higher.

Thanks.
41 REPLIES 41

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Update:

I have now tested the system with 8GB (2x4GB) of GEIL Value plus 1600MHz, which I am running at 1333MHz. The CPU isn't boosting up to 3.9GHz, the highest it's going to is 3602, with a vcore voltage of 1.19v whilst running prime95. As before, the voltage is just left on auto, so I can see what the CPU is asking for.

The VTT is at 1.059v
the VCCSA is at 0.950v

Nate152
Hello InFAMAS_ONE,

Go into the bios and hit F5 to set defaults. Go to extreme tweaker tab and set the ai overclock tuner to X.M.P.
Set the vccsa voltage to 1.20v - 1.25v. For 64GB of 2400MHz ram you may even need a little more than that to get it stable.

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi Nate,

Thanks for the reply man.

I already tried that, and no go sadly. It's quite happy to run 32GB @ 2400MHz, but not 64GB. This is on a stock multiplier though. I managed to get the CPU to 4.4GHz with 32GB @ 2400, and a fixed voltage of 1.3v. Compared to what most people are getting though, esp that guy who is new to OC'ing, and got 4.7GHz with 64GB @ 2400 on a 4930K, and the same board, It's a little disapointing.

It's not just 2400MHz that it won't run when I load it up with 64GB. It won't even run prime95 for more than about 10 minutes at 1600MHz before a BSOD. It will only run it for a long period of time at 1333MHz.

As for using only 32GB... I had it running Prime95 on a stock multiplier for about 20 minutes, so I can't even say if it's stable at that. With 2400MHz and 44 multiplier, I only ran it for about 10 minutes, just to see of it would BSOD on me right away, like it does on stock multiplier with 64GB @ 2400.

I've done some moar testing today, and I just can't get anywhere with it. I'm convinced that the IMC isn't up to it.

As I said in my first post, I've tested all 8 modules in XMP on another CPU/Board with a 4.4GHz overclock - no problem, so I know it can't be the memory itself.

Quote:
I've done some moar testing today, and I just can't get anywhere with it. I'm convinced that the IMC isn't up to it.

As I said in my first post, I've tested all 8 modules in XMP on another CPU/Board with a 4.4GHz overclock - no problem, so I know it can't be the memory itself.

I'm convinced it is your IMC, You must have some very demanding memory tasks to want to have 64GB?
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Nah, I don't actually have demanding memory tasks. I plan to be doing a bit of rendering, but that's about it. I just want to run 64GB @ 2400MHz because I should be able to, that's all. I'm hoping to achieve a nice OC as well, but if I have to drop the memory to 2133, or settle for 4.4GHz, then that's fine.

Not being able to hold 1600MHz on a stock multiplier is just unacceptable though when you've spent over $2k on a CPU, Awesome board, and a stack of RAM. I probably should have set my sights a bit lower, but I shouldn't need to, it should just do it.

I did speak to Intel today, and they suggested I send it back for a replacement, as I've only had it about 4 days. At first, they were trying to insist it wasn't the IMC, and that there was nothing wrong with the CPU, but after doing everything they asked me to, and getting nowhere, they got to the point where they had to accept that it quite probably IS the IMC after all.

Nate152
I know exactly what you mean. My first 3770k could not run 16GB at 2800MHz So I rma'd it. The replacement 3770k can do up to 2900MHz So yeah rma it, you might get a better one this time. Intel is fast with their rma's.

When Asus says their boards can do a certain ram speed, Intel should make sure ALL their cpu's are capable of doing it too.

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
QC maybe?

Some chips are absolute DOGS... and I mean worse than mine (and that's hard to comprehend). I've to send it back to the outlet though, not to Intel, as I've only had it 4 days. They did give me a support ticket number to quote, and I'm including a detailed letter outlining the issue, testing, and my conversation with Intel, so hopefully, it'll be a quick swap anyway.

Just hoping this next one's a bit better, will post back here and let you know how it went when I've got it 🙂

Praz
Level 13
InFAMAS-ONE wrote:
I have tested both 32GB kits of this memory on my old Maximus V Gene with an i5 3570k.

InFAMAS-ONE wrote:
Just hoping this next one's a bit better, will post back here and let you know how it went when I've got it 🙂

Hello

If the replacement CPU does not have a better IMC spend the necessary money and purchase a 64GB kit that has been qualified to run as 64GB. Mixing kits is always iffy and especially so at higher densities.

InFAMAS-ONE
Level 8
Hi Praz.

Yeah, I'm aware that it can be a bit like that with mixing kits. I got 2 kits of exactly the same memory (I Know you meant that even with 2 of the same can be iffy). When I tested them on the Maximus V GENE, and on this Rampage IV Black, I did do some testing with mixing the kits. I just labelled the modues from each kit. Each module from one kit had a "1" sticker on it, with all the modules from the other having a "2" on it. I wanted to make sure I kept the kits together in this way, in case I decide to sell them off in a barely used condition.

Neither motherboard seemed to have any issue with the frankenkits. The GENE and i5 3570K still did 4.4GHz with 32GB @ 2400MHz, and the Rampage / 4930K... well... it did just as well with a matched kit as it did with a mixed one when I tested it with only 32GB. It doesn't SEEM to be causing an issue, I'd have thought that if there were to be one, the GENE would have found trouble with it, what with it being maxed out in capacity, using a high frequency, and an OC.

I did try to get a 64GB kit initially, Corsair do make one, but I couldn't get hold of one anywhere, so had to settle for the 2 kits of 32GB each.