Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-sync and lag

fapman
Level 7
Hi,

Can someone from Asus confirm or deny this state:

Couple of people from overclockers.co.uk has stated that with PG278Q using G-sync, they have laggy mouse kind of V-sync on situation...

So is there really lag in G-sync or not?
15 REPLIES 15

mastering3d
Level 7
I was just about to make a thread when i see your's , There seems to be a lot of people with a lot of confusion going round the net regarding G-SYNC and just how to use it .. I get my swift tomorrow so will be doing some testing ..

But I want to point out that in the GUIDE on Asus web site found here http://rog.asus.com/339252014/gaming-monitors/faq-rog-swift-pg278q-27-inch-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

In the part where its says " How do I know if G-Sync is running in game? " there its stats The monitor power LED light will turn red indicating G-Sync is on. V-Sync needs to be disabled in the PC game settings and G-Sync enabled in the Nvidia control panel. Then the game must be run in full screen.
Typically scenes that go quickly from high to low frame-rate (or vice-versa) pronounce the G-Sync effect more strongly, allowing the user to notice its inherent effect on game play smoothness.

X-ROG
Level 15
I would say to some extent you have to get used to G-Sync in your play style and it depends what game you're playing. What is possibly perceived as lag is the dynamic change in frame-rate - just like some people are more sensitive to motion blur and movement sickness at lower frame rates. It can't undo the fundamental effect of very low frame rates and it doesn't do anything below 30FPS, but it does make it far more tolerable and the transition from high to low smooth. IMO it's not so suitable for very fast action games where you're better off using the ULMB option with normal or extreme pixel response setting instead. But take Civ 5 where you zoom in/out and move around a big map with loads of units and your frame rate takes a beat - it's really great. Lovely and smooth (well, providing you don't stutter due to other reasons in Civ5 like running out of CPU MHz or memory).

To set it up you don't need to do anything - it should be plug n play providing you've already got the Nvidia card and drivers installed. Just make sure in your games you disable any Vsync in the video options if it's present.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
I would say to some extent you have to get used to G-Sync in your play style and it depends what game you're playing. What is possibly perceived as lag is the dynamic change in frame-rate - just like some people are more sensitive to motion blur and movement sickness at lower frame rates. It can't undo the fundamental effect of very low frame rates and it doesn't do anything below 30FPS, but it does make it far more tolerable and the transition from high to low smooth. IMO it's not so suitable for very fast action games where you're better off using the ULMB option with normal or extreme pixel response setting instead. But take Civ 5 where you zoom in/out and move around a big map with loads of units and your frame rate takes a beat - it's really great. Lovely and smooth (well, providing you don't stutter due to other reasons in Civ5 like running out of CPU MHz or memory).

To set it up you don't need to do anything - it should be plug n play providing you've already got the Nvidia card and drivers installed. Just make sure in your games you disable any Vsync in the video options if it's present.

I don't get this i feel a little let down by what you said .About using ULMB over G-SYNC when all the reviews and show casing of g-sync was all talking about fast paced fps games being super smooth when using G-SYNC ..I have 2x780 cards and want to use G-SYNC so your saying ULMB is better then G-sync ..

My main game is Battlefield 4 at the moment so your telling me i should forget all about G-SYNC and just use ULMB ???

mastering3d wrote:
I don't get this i feel a little let down by what you said .About using ULMB over G-SYNC when all the reviews and show casing of g-sync was all talking about fast paced fps games being super smooth when using G-SYNC ..I have 2x780 cards and want to use G-SYNC so your saying ULMB is better then G-sync ..

My main game is Battlefield 4 at the moment so your telling me i should forget all about G-SYNC and just use ULMB ???

You can't run ULMB AND GSync together. It's not possible as they are conflicting technologies. Each has its own use. ULMB is specifically designed for 'fast gaming' in the sense that you're a professional/hardcore gamer who turns down the display quality settings and runs permanently northwards of 60Hz - which is why our 144Hz monitors are denoted as 'fast gaming'. It's not necessarily a gamer 'taking in the landscape of FarCry 3' and occasionally rushing bases. There is certainly overlap - GSync is a great FPS experience - I played Wolfenstien (despite 60FPS cap) recently using one and it was fantastic. I certainly don't use ULMB at all in Banished, Civ5 and WatchDogs recently either. Nvidia is saying the same thing - for most of its gamers GSync will benefit over ULMB. If you're BF4ing online you might prefer to use ULMB or you might benefit from GSync depending on your play style. If you are hyper competitive then you will max your FPS.

Also, at least one monitor will give you both and you never play just one game, right? Plus, you get the benefits of WQHD and an 8-bit panel for good color quality. You can't get that res elsewhere and true 8-bit is virtually unheard of in other fast gaming or GSync displays.

Back to the original question about lag - it depends on the persons play style and what their eyes are used to. Ask them if it gets better after a few hours gameplay, or, if there's another issue in his system with his mouse or the Nvidia drivers or something?

fapman
Level 7
I'm going to be very dissapointet aswell if the G-Sync wasn't designed for fast pased FPS.

In the G-sync teghnolocy overview at Nvidia's website it clearly says this:

"G-SYNC’s elimination of input lag, tearing, and stutter delivers a stunning visual experience on any G-SYNC-enhanced monitor; one so stunning that you’ll never want to use a ‘normal’ monitor ever again. In addition to cutting-edge changes to the viewing experience, multiplayer gamers will receive a significant competitive advantage when G-SYNC is paired with a fast GeForce GTX GPU and low-lag input devices, something that’ll surely pique the interest of shooter aficionados. For eSports players, NVIDIA G-SYNC is an essential upgrade. With G-SYNC’s removal of input lag, successes and failures are squarely in the hands of players, differentiating the pros from the amateurs.

If, like eSports pros, you want the clearest, fastest, smoothest, most responsive gaming experience possible, NVIDIA G-SYNC monitors are a game-changer, the likes of which cannot be found anywhere else. A true innovation in an era of iteration, NVIDIA G-SYNC will redefine the way you view games."

So i'm a bit confused. Asus says one thing and Nvidia another...

fapman wrote:
I'm going to be very dissapointet aswell if the G-Sync wasn't designed for fast pased FPS.

In the G-sync teghnolocy overview at Nvidia's website it clearly says this:

"G-SYNC’s elimination of input lag, tearing, and stutter delivers a stunning visual experience on any G-SYNC-enhanced monitor; one so stunning that you’ll never want to use a ‘normal’ monitor ever again. In addition to cutting-edge changes to the viewing experience, multiplayer gamers will receive a significant competitive advantage when G-SYNC is paired with a fast GeForce GTX GPU and low-lag input devices, something that’ll surely pique the interest of shooter aficionados. For eSports players, NVIDIA G-SYNC is an essential upgrade. With G-SYNC’s removal of input lag, successes and failures are squarely in the hands of players, differentiating the pros from the amateurs.

If, like eSports pros, you want the clearest, fastest, smoothest, most responsive gaming experience possible, NVIDIA G-SYNC monitors are a game-changer, the likes of which cannot be found anywhere else. A true innovation in an era of iteration, NVIDIA G-SYNC will redefine the way you view games."

So i'm a bit confused. Asus says one thing and Nvidia another...

Yeah don't you just feel like you being lied to ....By reading that you think right away i want to get one of them its going to be so smooth ...

I have the swift and there ever some thing wrong with it or i just don't see that its smooth .. after reading pages of threads in this forum seems like the swift as problems , May need a firmware fix ???????????...

Here is a Quote from nvidia ....

Online, G-SYNC may give you the edge, enabling you to react a millisecond sooner in a crucial match-changing moment. And your eyes will thank you over extended sessions: G-SYNC’s fast refresh rate, smooth motion, and tear-free output reduces eye strain, keeping you on top form. Clinton "Fear" Loomis, Professional Dota 2 Player for Evil Geniuses, agrees: “There's no tearing, stutter, or lag, and the visual quality is smoother. Everything about gaming on G-SYNC makes for a better experience.”

Whether you’re playing Dota 2, Dark Souls 2, Landmark, or Titanfall, G-SYNC enables you to see games as intended, without stuttering or tearing, giving you a flawless experience every time. For further G-SYNC news stay tuned to GeForce.com. In the meantime, an overview of the six G-SYNC monitors announced at COMPUTEX can be found below.

I have the PG278Q and can confirm the input lag with G-Sync on, however it only happens when ingame fps reaches your screen refreshrate.
To circumvent this problem, limit ingame fps to just under screen refreshrate.

Two example pictures from CS:GO where G-Sync is on and with no fps limit, and fps limit 141.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fo7N00dhmIX3JSMUwzcFJGM0E/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fo7N00dhmINEwwSWk1OU1rLUU/view?usp=sharing

The screenshot was taken while running a listen server with bots in CS:GO.
Notice the " var: " value of the net_graph. When fps is under screen refresh limit this fluctuates between 0 and 0.006 ms.
When fps is at screen refresh limit, var fluctuates between 0.2 and 0.8 ms.

Explaination of the var value from http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/23zt18/explanation_of_the_new_net_graph_thanks_vita...

"Value for sv var when server performance is meeting tickrate requirements represents the standard deviation of accuracy of server OS nanosleep function measured in microseconds over the history of last 50 server frames. The latest update relies on it for efficiently sleeping and waking up to start next frame simulation. Should usually be fractions of milliseconds."

So I think when this value varying at this degree is indicative of system lag.

For me Bf4 with G-Sync on is best, its super smooth and I can't live without the Swift (although at the moment I am because my panel came with a dead pixel) just waiting for a replacement unit in Nov. For me im not gaming until my new SWIFT arrives because it was that good and gaming on another panel, even temporarily, is not possible!

zombi
Level 7
fapman wrote:
Hi,

Can someone from Asus confirm or deny this state:

Couple of people from overclockers.co.uk has stated that with PG278Q using G-sync, they have laggy mouse kind of V-sync on situation...

So is there really lag in G-sync or not?

After several hours of gaming i can confirm this statement (unfortunately). It`s kind of "V-sync on" situation. Besides i must say i`am very sensible to it....