cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When idle, do cpu or gpu fans spin at all

dblkk
Level 7
Stupid question I know, but someone is arguing that when the computer is on but idle, the gpu fan nor the cpu fan are on at all. And they only turn on when a certain temperature is reached. While this may be true with the gpu, as with optimus its not even being used, but the cpu im fairly certain with a 4700m i7 even idle, the fans need to be spinning.
12 REPLIES 12

chrsplmr
Level 18
I was taught there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers at times.. worry not here.
Obviously someone needs to know this making it a great question.

You are correct, as long as there is current going to the cpu it will need to be cooled .. with optimus I believe
is from the cpu, as when in unplugged/battery state, and the fans are indeed running.
Even the smallest amount of current generated heat. If you put a 100watt bulb on a rheostat and turned it
all the way down to its dimmest it would still get warm for example.

When the computer is in sleep mode there is no current and therefore all is off.
Best of Luck .. .c.

xdon82
Level 7
When my G56jr is idle or if I do simple things / work on it, then the fan is off.

BTW , how many laptops have 2 fans ?

dblkk
Level 7
Thanks, there are also several professional reviews that give idle fan speeds and decibel levels.

Several laptops have dual fans. MSI, Asus, Alien ware, Gigabyte. And within those manufacture, there are several models. MSI has the gt72 and gs notebooks, asus has their g750, gigabyte has several authoreos and others, dell has alienware 14, 17, and 18" models. While the 18" actually have 3 fans not 3. and those are just the newest gaming notebooks, and the ones that I follow. Sager, ibuyer or w/e, and several other smaller brands also have dual cooling.

And anything with a non 'u' processor type needs active cooling, as soon as power is applied. Even the Pentium and atom chips in tablets. Which is whats going to make broadwell such a crowd pleaser. As it'll provide faster and better i3 and i5 systems that run lower power and will indeed be fanless design laptop/tablets.

But if you actually check and monitor your G56jr, your fan will indeed be spinning even at idle.

FalconFX
Level 7
well, i saw this in quiet a few places, but im certain that my JH doesnt turn off its fans even at idle, they are always running, very quit but still spinning 🙂

FalconFX wrote:
well, i saw this in quiet a few places, but im certain that my JH doesnt turn off its fans even at idle, they are always running, very quit but still spinning 🙂

Thanks, and yes the JH (jealous) will have both fans always running. It isn't optimus enabled, so the 780m is always being used to push video, and the processor is always being used to push processing. So both your fans should be spinning, but since video is offloaded from the cpu to the gpu, both your fans should be spinning at a lower rate than if just the cpu was being used for both processing and video.

KoolASUS
Level 7
Uh, no, my G750JH often has both fans off (I can tell when the mechanical HD is also off - Win8 is on the SSD) , but true, after a while, the CPU one starts to spin again.

KoolASUS wrote:
Uh, no, my G750JH often has both fans off (I can tell when the mechanical HD is also off - Win8 is on the SSD) , but true, after a while, the CPU one starts to spin again.

maybe thats due to a new bois version that you installed ?, mine is on the out of the box version, and its the Europe model t4040h, so maybe there is a difference there 🙂

KoolASUS
Level 7
Je suis français aussi... I have the G750JH T4076H (Darty) . I indeed upgraded the BIOS 204(JH) to 205(JH) - note : "JHA" versions are different - (the BIOS 205 JH notes from Asus are : "Fix that CPU and GPU will be throttled immediately when change to DC mode." ) . I'm not sure this explains it (?)
I didn't bother to upgrade to BIOS 206, because I still have Win8 (not 8.1).

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521&os=36&hashedid=n/a

btw, how's the screen of your G750JH ? I'm sure you have noticed the many threads here about some "lines" issues...

KoolASUS wrote:
Je suis français aussi... I have the G750JH T4076H (Darty) . I indeed upgraded the BIOS 204(JH) to 205(JH) - note : "JHA" versions are different - (the BIOS 205 JH notes from Asus are : "Fix that CPU and GPU will be throttled immediately when change to DC mode." ) . I'm not sure this explains it (?)
I didn't bother to upgrade to BIOS 206, because I still have Win8 (not 8.1).

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G750JH&p=3&s=521&os=36&hashedid=n/a

btw, how's the screen of your G750JH ? I'm sure you have noticed the many threads here about some "lines" issues...

well thats weird, im on 205 out of the box !!!, btw i bought it like 12 days ago so it might have been a late model or something.

as for the screen, i read about this issue here quiet a lot, but i didnt notice anything on my screen, it looks good, no lines, atleast i didnt search for them :D, im still using Splendid, ppl say it causes issues, its fine for me, i even like its saturation 🙂