Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    blue bands after 5 months of pg278q use

    Hi everybody,

    Today after gaming for about an hour, i noticed 2 blue vertical bands (left edge and toward the middle).

    I tried power cycling the monitor, rebooting the pc etc...no change. I turned everything off for a few hours and tried reseating the dp cable to my gtx 980 ti and unplugged/plugged the power cable from the brick.

    This actually seemed to 'fix' the issue. However, I'm not certain it won't come back. Anyone have any similar issues? I'm concerned my monitor going to slowly die from here...i can't believe with absolutely no recent hardware changes, not touching anything etc, that there could have been a loose connection or something.

    If any additional information is needed please let me know...thanks in advanced for any feedback.

  2. #2
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Nobody has run into anything similar with this monitor?

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array Spoonhandle PC Specs
    Spoonhandle PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus VIII Hero
    Processori7-6700K
    Memory (part number)F4-2800C15D-16GVR
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING
    MonitorBenQ XL2420Z
    Storage #1Samsung 240 EVO 250GB
    Storage #2Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM
    CPU CoolerSeidon 240M
    CaseCM 690 III
    Power SupplyV1000
    Keyboard G910
    Mouse G502
    Headset A40
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterRT-N66U
    Spoonhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    50

    If you go through the forum for a few pages you will see this is a pretty common issue, among many problems with the PG278Q

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonhandle View Post
    If you go through the forum for a few pages you will see this is a pretty common issue, among many problems with the PG278Q

    Ok...i looked (again) and was not Able to find this particular symptom, only pixel inversion, etc. Would link me a post?

    Luckily i have not seen the problem again, but I've only played a few hours since i "fixed" it

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Issue happened again today...

    Not playing any games or anything, just doing some stuff on the desktop and was using Firefox. No more than an hour or two. Same vertical (blue or yellow, depending on the background color) lines as before, AND I also noticed that there was a little blue glow where my cursor was, and text seemed a bit blurry.

    I tried the following and did not resolve the issue:

    1. Rebooted (I saw the blue in the corner during POST, which should eliminate driver issues), and shut down/cold booted
    2. Powered down the monitor for a minute
    3. Tried changing settings in the monitor's settings
    4. Tried changing the refresh rate (monitor and in windows)
    5. Tried changing the resolution (in Windows) ("bands" did not move)

    The only thing that seemed to fix the issue, while it was reproducible and the PC was powered on, was to unplug the power from the monitor (both monitor from brick and brick from power source - figured I would try both)...monitor turned right back on the issue has once again, been "resolved".

    Should I be concerned at this point? This has happened twice...not sure if the power brick may be overheating or what (it felt warm, but no warmer than it feels right now after being on for ~30 minutes). I'm pretty sure this is not a DP cable issue or an issue with my video card, but something specific to my ROG Swift (power brick or the monitor itself).

    Looking for suggestions, please, from anyone who has seen anything similar, or can provide some suggestions on completely eliminating this problem (it's a difficult one as it has only popped up twice, and I don't know what triggers it to happen).

    Thanks all

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by bardm View Post
    Not playing any games or anything, just doing some stuff on the desktop and was using Firefox. No more than an hour or two. Same vertical (blue or yellow, depending on the background color) lines as before, AND I also noticed that there was a little blue glow where my cursor was, and text seemed a bit blurry.

    I tried the following and did not resolve the issue:

    1. Rebooted (I saw the blue in the corner during POST, which should eliminate driver issues), and shut down/cold booted
    2. Powered down the monitor for a minute
    3. Tried changing settings in the monitor's settings
    4. Tried changing the refresh rate (monitor and in windows)
    5. Tried changing the resolution (in Windows) ("bands" did not move)

    The only thing that seemed to fix the issue, while it was reproducible and the PC was powered on, was to unplug the power from the monitor (both monitor from brick and brick from power source - figured I would try both)...monitor turned right back on the issue has once again, been "resolved".

    Should I be concerned at this point? This has happened twice...not sure if the power brick may be overheating or what (it felt warm, but no warmer than it feels right now after being on for ~30 minutes). I'm pretty sure this is not a DP cable issue or an issue with my video card, but something specific to my ROG Swift (power brick or the monitor itself).

    Looking for suggestions, please, from anyone who has seen anything similar, or can provide some suggestions on completely eliminating this problem (it's a difficult one as it has only popped up twice, and I don't know what triggers it to happen).

    Thanks all
    This has happened a handful more times, always "fixed" by unplugging the power brick for a few minutes. Is this a common issue? Is my monitor eventually going to develop permanent vertical blue and yellow lines?

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    7

    Nobody else having this issue? The newer rog models don't have the same problem?

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    Crashcourse316 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Z97 Wifi-Pro
    ProcessorI7-4790k
    Memory (part number)32GB G-Skills
    Graphics Card #1MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G
    MonitorPG279Q
    Storage #1Samsumg 951 Pro m.2 512GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100
    Power Supply1600W 80 Platinum
    OS Win10

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Reputation
    15
    Posts
    219

    Quote Originally Posted by bardm View Post
    Nobody else having this issue? The newer rog models don't have the same problem?



    Get a new Cable to rule out the cable going bad. Also if a new cable doesn't work or if you want to try this first, switch the port that you are using on your GPU. try running HDMI to the monitor, you'll have to suffer with a standard 60fps until you determine if the different output worked or not. If it does work your narrowed down to either your original cable going bad or the port on the GPU. If the issue still happens its most likely the Monitor.
    I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •