cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDD making clicking sound every 10s in Win 8.1 - Load/Unload cycle count increasing

InToSSH
Level 7
Hello,
I have problem with my Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ HDDs on Maximus VII Hero. As soon as Win 8.1 loads up, and its in idle, they both make clicking sound every 10seconds. It sounds like the heads are parking. I have checked the SMART and each click increases the value of Load/Unload Cycle Count. There is also a WD HDD connected to my PC, which works fine and doesn't make this sound. Both of HDDs weren't used much, they have around 80days Power on time. The HDDs are working fine, I can read and write with no issues.

When I open the HD Tune software and leave it open on SMART for the drive, it stops clicking. It seems to be something in the Windows. When I keep the system at BIOS, it doesn't make this sound.

Could anyone please help me where is the problem? I still have one month of warranty, so I would like to know if I should replace them or not. Thank you.

I am not sure if this is caused by the MB or OS, but its not doing on other PC with Win 8.1 and it was not doing also on my previous Maximus VI Hero. Does any of you have some experience with this and what could cause it?

Thanks.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M
0 REPLIES 0