cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q vertical stripes esp. in 3D mode.

rothron
Level 7
I'm seeing faint vertical stripes, like alternating lines are being refreshed.
This is especially visible in 3D-mode. I saw something similar on my old VG248, but there it was horizontal lines, much less pronounced, and only in 3D-mode.

I can sometimes see it in non-3D mode if my eyes are tracking a motion that matches up with the stripes.

Is this just how things are, or is there something wrong with my screen?
146 REPLIES 146

X-ROG
Level 15
Check your refresh rate?

What's your setup?

It's visible on 60Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz. Also in ULMB. It looks the same either way. How visible it is depends on the color transision, but it's there all the time, even if the color doesn't change. It's akin to temporal dithering.

It's hooked to a ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB PhysX CUDA, running the latest drivers.

After a bit a of reading, I think what I'm seeing are LCD inversion artefacts. I wonder if they are especially visible on my display, or if it's typical. It's kind of annoying, esp. in 3D.

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/index.html#inversion

X-ROG
Level 15
Last question - 100% sure it's plugged in OK and can you try another DP cable if possible?

If it's still bad then I'm pretty sure your LCD is not functioning correctly if you're seeing it in all modes. Call the place you bought it from and ask about an exchange.

EDIT: WAIT! What is your pixel response setting? Make sure it's off via the display menu settings and see if it makes a difference.

rothron
Level 7
I've tried all OD changes, Can't see any difference from that. The effect is fairly visible in gaming, especially on things that appear in a single refresh and then disappear in the next, like muzzle flames.

I only have the DP cable that came with the screen, but it pretty much has to be the panel, as the effect is even
visible on the OSD when I pull the DP out.

The phenomena is simple enough to photograph as a 1/60th of a second snapshot of a static scene will look normal, but a 1/120th of a second snapshot will show alternating dark and light columns.

It's not the LCD RGB mask you're seeing here, It's alternating light and dark columns. It's not nearly as visible when viewed with the naked eye, on the desktop it's barely detectable, but easy enough to make out in a scene in motion.

rothron wrote:
I've tried all OD changes, Can't see any difference from that. The effect is fairly visible in gaming, especially on things that appear in a single refresh and then disappear in the next, like muzzle flames.

I only have the DP cable that came with the screen, but it pretty much has to be the panel, as the effect is even
visible on the OSD when I pull the DP out.

The phenomena is simple enough to photograph as a 1/60th of a second snapshot of a static scene will look normal, but a 1/120th of a second snapshot will show alternating dark and light columns.

It's not the LCD RGB mask you're seeing here, It's alternating light and dark columns. It's not nearly as visible when viewed with the naked eye, on the desktop it's barely detectable, but easy enough to make out in a scene in motion.

Its the same on my monitor 😕

I suspect it's like this on all of them.

X-ROG
Level 15
Are you playing at native resolution and does it happen in other 3D titles?

[Also - if you zoom in on any LCD it will show up the subpixel matrix in some way.]

Here's mine with Banished:

rothron
Level 7
Native resolution or not, it doesn't matter. It affects all 3D titles, it affects the desktop. It affects the monitor OSD.
It's not the LCD matrix. It is columns of RGB triplets that are alternating light and dark. Odd and even columns for each refresh.

You photo doesn't meet the requirements to be able to capture the effect:
1) You need to take a picture where you can see the matrix in order to see the alternating columns.
2) You need to have a camera shutter rate that is equal to, or faster than the monitor refresh.
3) The picture should be of something that moves quickly at the highest possible fps.