cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusion over Swift PG278Q display port 1.2

Nuimoa
Level 7
Hey so I was looking at the specs for the new Swift PG278Q monitor and decided to research the Display port 1.2 (which the Swift PG278Q uses) but I noticed something...

On (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030669/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-display-interface-reigns-supreme-.h...) it stated that display port 1.2 can only support 2560 by 1400.

Here is the artical:

"A single DisplayPort interface can support up to four monitors at 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution each, or two monitors at 2560-by-1600-pixel resolution, with each display receiving independent audio and video streams. And since some GPUs can support multiple DisplayPort interfaces, you can daisy-chain compatible monitors to connect as many as six displays to one source."

So I was wondering if you connect 3 Swift PG278Q how would you do when a display port 1.2 is less than the 7680 by 1440.

Probs an obvious answer but just noticed it.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1

X-ROG
Level 15
The PG278Q only has a single DP so it is unable to do daisy-chaining.
The assumptions in the article is the display is only 60Hz, but when you run up to 144Hz you require more than twice the data-rate, thus not enough bandwidth is left for extra monitors anyway.
Finally Nvidia GPUs (certainly ASUS/ROG ones) don't have more than 1 DP port, so additional monitors require extra cards. Unfortunately SLI/Tri-SLI is currently incompatible with multiple card display outputs (all outputs must be connected to the primary card) and DVI/HDMI to DP adapters don't work with GSync. Nvidia will address this in a future driver update enabling SLI/Tri-SLI with surround, but due to technical limitations and significant variations of adapters/converter they will continue to be incompatible.