cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCore higher under load than idle

gridironcpj
Level 9
Hello folks, so I'm relatively new at overclocking and I've come across something that seems a bit odd to me: my full load Vcore is lower than it is when idle. Here are my overclock settings:

Profile: XMP
Multiplier: 43
Vcore: Manual 1.34

Here's the relevant hardware: i7 3930K & Rampage IV Formula

When I boot up the system, my idle Vcore sits at 1.336. When I'm in the middle of testing using Prime95, my Vcore drops to 1.32 during the entire test. My idle temps dance around 39-42C and the max temp reached using Prime95 is 71C. I have a Corsair H110 with a push-pull configuration and my chassis is a Corsair 900D, so cooling is not an issue. I would like to know if there's a way I can get my idle Vcore down so that my idle temps are closer to the mid-30s (or less, if possible). I tried Offset Mode and set it to +0.005 and set Speedstep to Enabled, yet the idle Vcore still sits at the same level, but my full load Vcore went up to 1.34 (so Offset made me worse off). Is there anything else I can do? I just don't think it's necessary for my Vcore to be higher at idle than at full load..
3 REPLIES 3

Praz
Level 13
Hello

After setting the proper offset voltage change the Windows power plan to balanced instead of high performance.

Praz wrote:
Hello

After setting the proper offset voltage change the Windows power plan to balanced instead of high performance.

Mine is currently set to "Samsung High Performance" for my SSD, so won't "Balanced" cripple my performance?

Update: Setting the power plan to Balanced did not change my idle Vcore.

NEOAethyr
Level 7
0.016v is very likely the margin of error for the sensor chip, even a decent dmm would have trouble past the 0.0x mark, ie 0.005 = 0.010.
Sensor chip likely uses steps like 0.006v, with something like a 5% error margin or so in those readings.
That's usually how it is anyways...