cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused by back cover on Asus g750 JM

warpkid
Level 7
Hey All

So I decided to upgrade the HDD on my Asus G750JM and began by attempting to remove the screw under the plastic cover. Little did I know that this was a screw that was not supposed to be removed - only loosened!
So anyway, fast forward a few mins and the screw has been removed (I assumed at the time that it had not been seated correctly and was just sticking a little).

With the screw out I noticed a small metal ring now lose. Odd.

I removed the back cover and inserted my drive but have since read up and apparently the screw is not supposed to come out. Is there anyway I can put the screw and ring back in place? I have put the ring under the screw and put the screw back in but it now appears to do nothing. Replacing the cover, the small screw hole seems to just sit above the screw. I can't picture what the screw was supposed to do in the first place.

I really should to not poke around with computers.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

gazzacbr
Level 10
the small ring is a lock ring. it goes under the plastic cover on the screw to stop the screw falling out.
the back cover where the disks are is user removable to give access to add more memory (ram) and add/change you hard disk.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
the small ring is a lock ring. it goes under the plastic cover on the screw to stop the screw falling out.
the back cover where the disks are is user removable to give access to add more memory (ram) and add/change you hard disk.

Is there any chance you could post a pic? I really can't visualise how the lock ring is supposed to be seated.
I also can't fathom how you could remove the back panel without the screw coming out.

How would that work?

Thanks for your reply

G-Guy
Level 7
Sure glad I read this just in case.

gazzacbr
Level 10
well, ok, lock ring was strictly not correct, its a retaining ring
with the cover removed, put the screw through the cover from the outside
screw the small washer on to the screw underneath the cover
that retains the screw with the cover to stop it accidently falling into the laptop
put the cover back on
tighten the screw
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
well, ok, lock ring was strictly not correct, its a retaining ring
with the cover removed, put the screw through the cover from the outside
screw the small washer on to the screw underneath the cover
that retains the screw with the cover to stop it accidently falling into the laptop
put the cover back on
tighten the screw

Ah I am with you! It really wasn't too clear from the manual that the screw was not supposed to come out. At the time I just assumed it was jammed.
I'll have another look tonight but hopefully I should be able to reattach the retaining ring and it'll be back to how it was.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated.