cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting G750JW EUROPEAN AC Adapter to USA Use

Zacharyp1
Level 7
Needing to know if the converter attached in pic is what I need to safely power my G750JW. Had a friend smoke an Xbox 360 because he didn't know about the difference.
7 REPLIES 7

KoolASUS
Level 7
No, 100 W won't do it. The adaptor for my G750JH gives 230 W. (19.5V * 11.8 A)

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Zacharyp1 wrote:
Needing to know if the converter attached in pic is what I need to safely power my G750JW. Had a friend smoke an Xbox 360 because he didn't know about the difference.

@Zacharyp1, you may want to confirm with your local ASUS support too if you think they will know, but your 'universal' ASUS 180w adapter 'brick' for the G750JW is really the same one used in the U.S. too with a different power cord, so you don't need that extra 'auto transformer' in your picture for your G750JW at least.
http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en

You can see in your picture that your ASUS adapter 'brick' accepts voltages from 100-240V (AC) which covers U.S. electrical outlets usually running 120V (AC), so you can use it directly with U.S. electrical outlets without any problems.
The only thing you need to do is find a way to plug it into a U.S. electrical outlet, or find a converter for the 'plug' end for U.S. outlets.

Please confirm the plug to the AC adapter 'brick' end looks correct in the U.S. eStore picture, but if you wish to purchase the U.S. cord for your AC adapter from the U.S. eStore site, check the page below although it should not be too difficult to find this cord in the U.S. from other sources.
http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5868

KoolASUS wrote:
No, 100 W won't do it. The adaptor for my G750JH gives 230 W. (19.5V * 11.8 A)

@KoolASUS, thanks for noticing that. You may already know, but just want to remind the G750JW and G750JX owners that they use the 180W (19.5V * 9.23A) adapter instead of the 230W adapter used by the G750JH.

Dcite
Level 7
That transformer/converter you have won't do it. However, if that picture below is your CURRENT Asus power adapter, it says it can run 100V to 240V at 50 to 60HZ.
The US power source is 120V at 60Hz, so there is a chance that your power adapter will run as is, as long as you get the right power cable.

On the flip side, I will say that the xbox 360 power adapter which comes with the console isn't capable of handling international voltages.

KoolASUS
Level 7
@cl-Albert : yeah, you are right I kinda forgot that the JH is more "hungry".

(and I have read that Alienwares 18 have a 330W adaptor ! )

My AC adaptor : 39741

so, it indeed looks like Asus took already care about this : it accepts 110-240V & 50-60Hz

So you just need a "connector converter" , OR just change the power cable from the adaptor.

Maxter
Level 9
No need for voltage adaptor. You just plug it using and done (you might need a plug converter to the USA style. Buy at your local hardware store for a couple bucks. The brick automatically will adjust to the 110V we use here (that is pretty standard on most laptops and phone charges for a while already)

Zacharyp1
Level 7
Someone changed my title and i have no idea why, so my question was switched around, but I am from USA traveling in Europe. I need to know if my USA power brick will run off Europe power with this converter. Sorry that this may have confused some people, but it would be nice if notices were sent to posters before their content was changed.

Edit by cl-Albert: Hope you don't mind me replying in your post too, but I'll take the blame for changing your title, and sorry for choosing the wrong one, but was trying to make it more clear what your post was about for others reading the titles and who search posts later.
I could change it back, but this would probably just confuse people more now and I believe you have a second post now.
Again, sorry for causing any problems. Thanks.

Maxter
Level 9
Block compatible in USA and Europe electric grids. Just plug it. That's it! Welcome to the future 😄