Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mokkuss

New G74SX worked before BIOS update. Now it's 100% dead.

I got my G74SX today and it worked for about 3 hours until i decided to update the BIOS. I found the file using the auto detect feature from Asus.com and updated the BIOS using easyflash.
    After the progress bar was at 100% the computer turned itself off.
    When I press the power button NOTHING happens. Not a single light is lit.
    Is there any way to hard-reset the BIOS and could someone please tell me what could be wrong?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

I would try completely removing the power & battery (people say tapping the power a few times as well) to see if that makes a difference. If you indeed have a bricked laptop then you just have to exchange it for another. I would recommend using a FAT32 formatted flash drive with the BIOS image and flashing from ez flash in the BIOS. That is a more reliable method.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

Mokkuss
    Unfortunately the removal of the power & battery did not help. I guess I have contact the retailer to get a new one.. So tired of waiting, this laptop was an exchange unit due to my G73SW was at the workshop for too long and they were not able to repair it.
    For the 3 hours it worked it felt like a nice laptop
    TY for the answer.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Unfortunately, a bricked BIOS must be serviced or returned. There's no DIY repair option.

TeamROG Notebook Member Array Chastity@ASUS's Avatar

Let me guess, you loaded the rom file from your hard drives using Easy Flash. Loading the file from NTFS seems to be a good way of bricking.

Call the RMA center at 1-888-678-3688 and set up your RMA to have it fixed.
    Kicking Ass Since Today

Exclamation No warnings!

Quote Originally Posted by Chastity@ASUS View Post
    Let me guess, you loaded the rom file from your hard drives using Easy Flash. Loading the file from NTFS seems to be a good way of bricking.
    Hi guys,

I downloaded a bios file (v203) from official asus website, uzip it. Then I entered in my G74sx bios settings, and have used "EasyFlash" with prepared bios file, by using it from one of G74 HDD. Now my laptop is 100% dead, but I need it in my business trip soon!

So why if this bios update way is so dangerous I haven't seen any warnings about that? What kind of solutions do I have?

Thanks!

UPD:
    I decided to update the bios coz when I run any game and watching 3D video I was getting a very low performance with huge swaps. My laptop is worked just 3rd day from day I bought it. System was new and clean. I have installed only new Nvidia GF drivers and DirectX 9...

It's G74sx with:

i7-2670QM (2.2)
    17,3 3D (1920x1080)
    GeForce GTX 560M (3Gb)
    8Gb of DDR3
    500+500 HDD WD scorpio black (7200)
    Win Home Premium 64bit
    Last edited by TonyNRG; 03-25-2012 at 01:37 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Sorry to hear of your BIOS Flash failure, Tony. Unfortunately, the only 2 options are 1) exchange your G74SX for a new unit if you are still within your retailer's exchange period, or 2) send or take your laptop to the nearest ASUS Repair Center to have the BIOS chip overwritten. Call ahead if you plan to bring it there yourself to decrease.the turnaround time.

The BIOS chip must be overwritten with a special programming tool. There are no recovery options for a BIOS Flash failure on ASUS laptops.

If you should attempt a BIOS Flash in the future, follow this guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Sorry to hear of your BIOS Flash failure, Tony. Unfortunately, the only 2 options are 1) exchange your G74SX for a new unit if you are still within your retailer's exchange period, or 2) send or take your laptop to the nearest ASUS Repair Center to have the BIOS chip overwritten. Call ahead if you plan to bring it there yourself to decrease.the turnaround time.

The BIOS chip must be overwritten with a special programming tool. There are no recovery options for a BIOS Flash failure on ASUS laptops.

If you should attempt a BIOS Flash in the future, follow this guide: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status=
    All these stories make me think its time that ASUS and perhaps other notebook manufacturers consider putting dual BIOS chips on the mainboards (like so many desktop board manufacturers do; in fact its hard to find an enthusiast desktop board without them) to prevent bricking from failed flashes. On my Gigabyte desktop boards the second ROM chip takes up all of 0.5 cm^2 of board real estate, so its not like it can't be squeezed on to notebook boards. One would think it should save the company a flood of bricked notebooks shipped back to them for reprogramming, and therefore $$, while it would increase owner confidence.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Thanks for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post

Thank you for your advice! I'll check this FAQ out.

But I am interested, why ASUS is not preventing such kind of mistakes on end users' side... mistakes that makes my laptop is dead

End user (like me) don't have to search a special information on all related ASUS/BIOS forums etc., to find one right way of bios updating.

If I have noticed that my bios is need to be updated, and I see needed file on the asus.com official website... and, it's most important - i see the function in my BIOS to flash the new BIOS... and no any warnings about using internal HDD. So, I decide to flash my BIOS, thinking that ASUS engineers is good enough, and I doing all in right way.

Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    All these stories make me think its time that ASUS and perhaps other notebook manufacturers consider putting dual BIOS chips on the mainboards (like so many desktop board manufacturers do; in fact its hard to find an enthusiast desktop board without them) to prevent bricking from failed flashes. On my Gigabyte desktop boards the second ROM chip takes up all of 0.5 cm^2 of board real estate, so its not like it can't be squeezed on to notebook boards. One would think it should save the company a flood of bricked notebooks shipped back to them for reprogramming, and therefore $$, while it would increase owner confidence.
    Yes, you're right. Dual BIOS is good option, especially for laptops! And I think that we (end users) must have simple and safe way to update BIOS, and not only BIOS... I don't need to know all details. I need to see that my BIOS is need to been updated, and to have one simple way to update it.
    Last edited by TonyNRG; 03-25-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added

ROG Enthusiast Array

I was in the same boat a while back when I tried to update my bios. I did the same thing you did and posted on the forums seeking suggestions. I will tell you 3 things that i learned.

1. Asus will NOT ship you a new motherboard to replace yourself

2. If you bought the machine from any other retailer (best buy), you can take it to them and they will fix it.

3. There is nothing you can do exept for take it in for repair.

I feel for the situation you are in, as I was in a similar situation. One thing you should also note, do not let asus tell you that updating your bios voids your warranty, because it DOES NOT. They seemed to have the idea that if you want to make an update to your machine, you should call them first, and get it cleared with them for the install. so again, dont let them push you around by having them say your warranty is void.

That is my message.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast