cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't manually set ram to 2400

Dave112
Level 7
It's been a few days since the last reply on my previous post "Help a Noob with EUFI" so I thought it would be best to start another. I Have a Maximus VII Hero motherboard, an i7 4790K CPU, and Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 ram (32GB and it's a 4X8 set). Both the CPU and the RAM kit are listed in the Hero Manual as compatible. I have BIOS ver. 1002. I tried to use the XMP profile to get the RAM to run at Guaranteed speed (2400), but it wouldn't boot. Everytime it said that the Overclock failed. It runs fine at 2133 using XMP. I tried to set the RAM manually using "Chino's" guide, but after setting the Overclock Tuner to Manual, when I go to DRAM Frequency, 2400 is not listed. Yes I tried to scroll down to it, but it's not there. There is another post by someone else with the same three components who had previously gotten the RAM set to 2400 using Chino's guide (and now can't get it to run at that speed). So I'm thinking that there is a problem with either my motherboard, CPU, or the RAM. I need some guidance as to either get the RAM working, or how to figure out which component is faulty.
3 REPLIES 3

MatsGlobetrotte
Level 10
did you increase the voltage a without that it will fail 100%. if you cant find the correct settings try one of the pre-set mem tweaks by Asus. That will set up everything though still check the voltage.
It started with a VIC-20... and now it is. Maximus Formula VI Intel 4770K 4.6GHz ASUS GTX780Ti 3GB Corsair Platinum Dominator 16GB 2400MHz Raid Express 240GB Samsung EVO 512 GB SSD Corsair 900D EK watercooling Corsair RM1000 ASUS PB278Q

Praz
Level 13
Hello

32GB of memory at overclocked speeds will be dependent on the quality of the CPU's IMC. Have a read through the guide linked below.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking&country...

Dave112
Level 7
I called Kingston Tech Support. After removing two of the memory modules, it still wouldn't boot using XMP, but by replacing the remaining modules with the two removed, it booted fine at 2400. I'm RMAing the memory kit (for the third time). Thanks for the help.