PAGE 10: Synthetic Benchmarks
PAGE 11: System Benchmarks
PAGE 12: SLI Benchmarks
PAGE 13: Overclocking
PAGE 14: Summary

Review: ASUS P6X58-E Pro Motherboard Review

Reviewed by: Kipper
Provided by: ASUS USA

As you travel the web you will surely find those that say the newest X58 motherboards are “late to the party”. Everyone seems to be anxiously waiting for the release of the next offering of Sandy Bridge and/or the new X68 (LGA2011) processors which will usher in the next generation of motherboards. Remember the fiasco with the P67 boards and the recalls from every manufacturer? You will not see that with the X58 platform; it is now tried and true and with each new board released they should only get better and better, like a fine wine.

At the present time the X58 platform still reigns on top of the throne especially when running three or four GPUs in SLI or Crossfire. The P67 boards have proven not to scale as well due to the native number of PCIe lanes that Sandy Bridge is built with. The X58 platform is currently the only chipset supporting Triple Channel Memory and those Xtreme processors like the Intel 990X. There are still a large number of enthusiasts with an X58 configured system as their primary workhorse and ASUS is serving the needs of their customers.

The ASUS P6X58-E Pro is today’s review sample and I will be putting through a good number of tests. So, let’s get started and see if ASUS is on target with this new board.

ASUS, the world’s top 3 consumer notebook vendor and the maker of the world’s best-selling and most award winning motherboards, is a leading enterprise in the new digital era. ASUS designs and manufactures products that perfectly meet the needs of today's digital home, office and person, with a broad portfolio that includes motherboards, graphics cards, displays, desktop PCs, notebooks, netbooks, servers, multimedia, wireless solutions, networking devices and mobile phones. Driven by innovation and committed to quality, ASUS won 3,398 awards in 2010, and is widely credited with revolutionizing the PC industry with the Eee PC. With a global staff of more than ten thousand people and a world-class R&D team of 3,000 engineers, the company's revenue for 2010 was around US$10 billion.

Let's take a closer look at the P6X58-E Pro and see what their latest X58 based motherboard can do.

15 REPLIES 15

Kipper
Level 10
The P6X58-E PRO motherboard features Intel's latest X58 chipset and supports Core i7 9 series processors. With DDR3 triple-channel memory architecture supporting speeds up to 2200MHz offering extreme performance to gamers and overclockers. The P6X58-E PRO with ASUS’s new DIGI+VRM digital power design should prove to be an ultimate overclocking platform but I will reserve my opinion until I get into the OC’ing section of this review.

Key Features:

• Dual Intelligent Processors 2 with DIGI+ VRM
  • BT GO! (Bluetooth) - Diverse BT Enjoyment, New Technology Lifestyle
  • 3-Way SLI and Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support
  • USB 3.0/SATA 6G Support

Digital Power Design: The New Standard

The world’s first Dual Intelligent Processors from ASUS pioneered the use of two onboard chips - EPU (Energy Processing Unit) and TPU (TurboV Processing Unit). New generation Dual Intelligent Processors 2 with DIGI+ VRM digital power design launch control into a new era.

The new ASUS DIGI+ VRM design upgrades motherboard power delivery to a digital architecture. It delivers the precision power, intelligently adjusting PWM voltage and frequency modulation with minimal power loss through BIOS tuning and an exclusive user interface to increase the board’s overclocking range while performance reaches its full potential. Super Alloy Power chokes contain a metal compound instead of standard iron, supporting of up to a massive 40A of rated current, or 25% higher than conventional chokes. Unibody-constructed chokes and capacitors also eliminate vibration noise, delivering improved performance and durability even under extreme conditions. DIGI+ VRM digital power design with premium Super Alloy Power empowers users through superior flexibility and perfect precision to ensure optimized performance and greater power efficiency.

DIGI+ VRM

Herald the Arrival of a New Digital Power Design Era

The new ASUS DIGI+ VRM design upgrades motherboard power delivery to a digital standard. The 8+2 digital architecture delivers precision power, intelligently adjusting PWM voltage and frequency modulation with minimal power loss. Users can increase overclocking range and maximize performance through BIOS tuning and exclusive user interface features. Super Alloy Power chokes contain a metal compound instead of standard iron, supporting of up to a massive 40A of rated current, or 25% higher than conventional chokes. Unibody-constructed chokes also eliminate vibration noise, delivering improved performance and durability even under extreme conditions. DIGI+ VRM digital power design with Super Alloy Power enables users through superior flexibility and perfect precision to ensure optimized performance and greater power efficiency.

TPU

The Ultimate Turbo Processor

Unleash your performance with ASUS' simple onboard switch or AI Suite II utility. The TPU chip offers precise voltage control and advanced monitoring through Auto Tuning, GPU Boost and TurboV functions. Auto Tuning offers a user friendly way to automatically optimize the system for fast, yet stable clock speeds, while TurboV enables unlimited freedom to adjust CPU frequencies and ratios for optimized performance in diverse situations.
EPU

Energy Efficiency All-Around

Tap into the world's first real-time PC power saving chip through a simple onboard switch or AI Suite II utility. Get total system-wide energy optimization by automatically detecting current PC loadings and intelligently moderating power consumption. This also reduces fan noise and extends component longevity!

ASUS Exclusive Features

BT GO!

Diverse BT Enjoyment, New Technology Lifestyle

Onboard Bluetooth wireless design enables smart connectivity to Bluetooth devices with no additional adapter. ASUS BT GO! comes with 7 special functions that offer a significant breakthrough in Bluetooth evolution, including Folder Sync, BT Transfer, BT Turbo Remote, BT-to-Net, Music Player, Shot and Send, and Personal Manager. All are accessible through the exclusive, user-friendly ASUS interface.

* The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by ASUSTeK Computer Inc. is under license. Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.

AI Suite II

One-stop Access to Innovative ASUS Features

With its user-friendly interface, ASUS AI Suite II consolidates all exclusive ASUS features into one simple-to-use package. It allows users to supervise overclocking, energy management, fan speed, voltage and sensor readings, and even interact with mobile devices via Bluetooth. This all-in-one software offers diverse and easy to use functions, with no need to switch back and forth between different utilities.

Latest Transfer Technology

True USB 3.0 Support

10X Faster Date Rates!

Experience ultra-fast data transfers at 4.8Gbps with USB 3.0 — the latest connectivity standard. Built to connect easily with next generation components and peripherals, USB 3.0 transfers data 10X faster and is also backward compatible with USB 2.0 components.

True SATA 6.0Gb/s Support

Experience the Future of Storage!

Supporting next-generation Serial ATA (SATA) storage interface, this motherboard delivers up to 6.0Gb/s data transfer rates. Additionally, get enhanced scalability, faster data retrieval, double the bandwidth of current bus systems.

CPU, Chipset and Graphics features

LGA1366 Intel® Bloomfield Processor Ready

This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core™ i7 processors in LGA1366 package with integrated memory controller to support 3-channel (6 DIMMs) DDR3 memory. Supports Intel® QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) with a system bus of up to 6.4 GT/s and a max bandwidth of up to 25.6 GB/s. Intel® Core™ i7 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPUs in the world.

Intel®X58 Express Chipset

The Intel® X58 Express Chipset is one of the most powerful chipset designed to support the Intel® Core™ i7 Processors with LGA1366 package and Intel® next generation system interconnect interface, Intel® QuickPath Interconnect (QPI), providing improved performance by utilizing serial point-to-point links, allowing increased bandwidth and stability. It also supports up to 36 PCI Express 2.0 lanes providing better graphics performance.

3-Way SLI and Quad-GPU CrossFireX Support!

Flexible Multi-GPU solutions, Your Weapon of Choice!

The P6X58-E PRO breaks the boundaries to bring you the multi-GPU choice of either SLI™ or CrossFireX. The motherboard features a dedicated graphics engine on the most powerful Intel X58 platform to optimize PCIe allocation in multiple GPU configurations. Expect a brand-new gaming style you’ve never experienced before!

ASUS Crystal Sound

DTS

DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC

DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC delivers exceptional 5.1 surround experience through the most common PC audio setups - your existing stereo speakers or headphones. In addition to virtual surround, “Bass enhancement” provides stronger low frequency bass sound, and “Voice clarification” provides clear human dialogue even with loud background sound. With these technologies, you may experience a better home-theater audio with ease.

ASUS Quiet Thermal Solution

ASUS Fanless Design - Heat-pipe solution

The Heat Pipe design effectively directs the heat generated by the chipsets to the heatsink near the back IO ports, where it can be carried away by existing airflow from CPU fan. The purpose of the innovative heat pipe design on this motherboard is that the groundbreaking fanless design does not have lifetime problems as a chipset fan does. The Heat Pipe design is the most reliable fanless thermal solution to date.

More great ASUS Features

• System Level Up
  • Performance Boost
  • 100% Solid CAP
  • Active Quiet & Cool
  • Any Memory is A-OK! Button
  • Onboard Power, Reset and CLR CMOS Switches

OK, let’s take a look at the specifications of the ASUS P6X58-E Pro board next…..

Below are the Key Specifications for the ASUS P6X58-E Pro:

You can look over the full list of specifications on the ASUS P6X58-E Pro site

OK, let’s get this package open and see what we have here.

ASUS continues with their attractive Black themed packaging for the P6X58-E Pro which will definitely catch your attention. Many of the board’s features are highlighted but this is just a teaser of what’s inside.

Looking inside the retail package we found two smaller boxes; one containing the motherboard and the other contains the accessories.

The accessories include virtually all the necessities; the manual, driver disk, SATA cables, Q-Connector, and I/O shield. There are four total SATA cables, 2 of which are specifically for the SATA III (6.0 GB/s) ports. With SLI available ASUS has included bridges for both 2 and 3-way configurations. A seldom mentioned but much appreciated accessory is the Q-connector which saves a good deal of time and frustration when connecting the front panel connectors to the board is also included.

As expected with the ASUS products, the accessories are very extensive with everything to get your system up and running in short notice.

Let’s now take a look at the board itself…….

The P6X58-E Pro is one great looking board; the PCB is entirely black and complemented by the contrasting colors of Blue. ASUS designed the P6X58-E Pro's layout masterfully, with no tight areas evident in the board's layout.

The P6X58-E Pro is an ATX Form Factor board which measures 12”x9.6” which means you will be able to mount it in most any Mid-Size or larger chassis. A cursory look reveals the layout is nice with things being layout out on the board to make your install pretty much worry free.

In the image below you will notice the board's CPU socket is clear of unnecessary obstructions leaving CPU cooler mounting unimpeded. The board uses the standard Intel LGA1366 style mounting design to attach your CPU cooler. To the left of the CPU socket is the Intel X58 Northbridge chipset, covered by a large thin-finned heat sink. The 8-pin ATX12V power connector is located at the upper edge of the board left of the CPU Socket. On the upper edge above and slightly to the right of the CPU socket is a set of CPU_FAN headers.

The lower "Southbridge Intel ICH10R" heatsink design kind of flows with the line of the PCIe slots as well as the SATA connections giving the bottom half of the board a more uniform look in my opinion anyways.

To the right of the CPU area, we see the DDR3 memory slots in triple-channel configuration. The blue colored slots are the recommended primary use slots, with Triple Channel memory mode active with module populating all slots of the same color. The P6X58-E Pro is capable of 48GB of DDR3 with speeds up to 2200MHz.

Further to the right of the DIMM slots is the motherboard’s 24-pin power connector, handily placed to suit either top or bottom-mounted power supply case designs.

Just above the DIMM slots we see that ASUS has included their popular “MemOK” button.

This is really a great feature so let’s talk about it in more detail while we are on the subject……….

MemOK is the only DRAM self-tweaking technology which enables the motherboard to tweak the DRAM timing parameters automatically. This allows the system to become bootable when a DRAM induced system boot failure occurs. You will know that your boot failure is DRAM related by checking the DRAM-LED which will be locked in the on-position. If this LED is blinking then then your boot failure is not memory related.

So, when you find that you do have a memory related boot failure the user simply has to do is press the MemOK button for roughly 2 seconds till the LED begins to blink then releases the button. The board will then begin to tweak the DRAM related parameters automatically until it reaches a state that will allow the system to boot up and complete POST (Power On Self-Test).

You will be greeted with a screen telling you that MemOK has succeed in system booting; you will need to go into the BIOS and optimize your memory settings. I would recommend that you have the current BIOS loaded on the board and if not got to the ASUS support site, download the BIOS and upgrade it via the ASUS EZ Flash which I will talk about when we go over the BIOS for the P6X58-E Pro later in the review.

The on-board Clear CMOS, Power and Reset buttons are located just below the PCIe lanes. These will prove to be a valuable tool especially when setting up your system on an open test bench.

Below you will see the TPU (Turbo Processing Unit) switch. The TPU chip offers precise voltage control and advanced monitoring through Auto Tuning and TurboV functions. Auto Tuning offers a user friendly way to automatically optimize the system for fast, yet stable clock speeds, while TurboV enables unlimited freedom to adjust CPU frequencies and ratios for optimized performance in diverse situations. This is just one of the overclocking features; you also have the ASUS A1 Suite software as well as the ability to go Old School in the BIOS itself.

The P6X58-E Pro features a total of eight SATA ports. The main group of six (Light Blue ones) are ran through the Intel ICH10R controller and are SATA 3GB/s and support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10. The two dark blue slots are SATA 6GB/s, controlled via the Marvell PCIe 9128 controller.

The spacing of the PCIe slots is perfect for 3-way SLI and CF with dual slotted cards which will have some nice room between cards for air flow. The breakdown of the PCIe slots is; the dark blue slots are x16 with the lowest White slot being x4.

You also have two PCI and one PCIe X1 slot.

The rear of the P6X58-E Pro features an impressive array of ports, sporting a PS/2 keyboard/mouse port, an impressive total of eight USB 3.0/2.0 ports, an eSATA port, and an IEEE 1394a port, a Bluetooth module as well as your Optical S/PDIF out and a total of 6 Audio Jacks. Oh yea, and now a single Intel LAN port which is just fine with me, I’ll take a single Intel LAN over two of the other guys ports any day.

The Intel LAN is an outstanding implementation with regards to its performance, reliability and most significantly its advanced configuration options and compatibilities with applications and other operating systems is just another attribute that sets the P6X58-E Pro apart from the competition.

Let’s install some hardware onto the P6X58-E Pro and see how things look…….

This writer likes to install some if not most of my hardware on the board long before I start the final install into the chassis of my choosing. This way I have a good idea of any potential problems or complications beforehand.

Looking at my potential test system the dark blacks and blue aesthetics are fantastic. The black Corsair Vengeance memory modules, the TT Firo CPU heatsink and fans and the ASUS GTX560Ti graphics card nicely complement the native heatsinks on the P6X58-E Pro.

Should you use memory modules with tall heat spreaders such as the Corsair Vengeance you could have issues with certain large air coolers, particularly in the DIMM slot closest to the CPU. It does depend on the CPU cooler though; the Thermaltake Firo cooler is quite large with its dual fan configuration and will not have a conflict with my Corsair modules. Memory with a lower profile heat spreaders or a less bulky CPU cooler might be less troubling.

Corsair has been listening and they are now offering their very popular Vengeance series RAM in a LOW Profile option.

My ASUS GTX-560Ti cards are not long enough to hinder changing SATA cables at the board. The spacing of the on the PCI-E slots is pretty nice for SLI configurations meaning greater airflow which translates to improved temperatures between the cards.

I also mounted an ASUS MATRIX GTX580 and was still able to connect SATA cables without any difficulty thanks to the perpendicular SATA ports.

The positioning of the PCI-E slots is very good and there's quite a bit of room to maneuver on the P6X58-E Pro. ASUS has done an excellent job with the overall layout.

A dual card setup won't interfere with the headers along the bottom of the board.

Let's have a look at the BIOS now.

ASUS has been long known for its rich available BIOS options, the P6X58-E Pro is not an exception. ASUS chose to use an AMI style BIOS design and for my testing I am using the current BIOS 0402.

For the most part the BIOS is pretty much what you would expect to see on most of today’s modern motherboards accept for the A1 Tweaker section which allows you to control the system clocks and power settings for the CPU, Memory, Front side bus and the PCI Bus. Overclockers and Enthusiasts will be familiar with the extensive settings available.

Users that might be trying their first overclock need not be intimidated with all the possible settings within the A1 Tweaker; ASUS provides a great software program that runs within Windows the A1 Suite II which I find to be a joy to work with.

In the Advanced section you the sub-sections to configure the CPU, Chipset, Onboard Devices, USB Configuration and PCIPnP.

The Configure advanced CPU settings submenu displays real-time statistics on the in-use CPU. Additionally, the following internal CPU functions can be user configured: CPU multiplier (CPU Ratio Setting), C1E support, hardware prefetcher support, adjacent cache line prefetch support, Intel virtualization technology, CPU Thermal Module function (CPU TM Function), Execute Disable Bit, HyperThreading control (Intel(R) HT Technology), core operational controls (Active Processing Cores), A20M support, Intel SpeedStep support, Intel TurboMode support; and CPU idle C-state support. Note that the Intel (R) TurboMode Tech option displays only with the CPU Ratio Setting option set to Auto and the SpeedStep option enabled.

The Onboard Devices Configuration submenu contains all settings related to the board's non-chipset controlled on board devices, including: the Marvell SATA 6G controller, the Intel GigE LAN controllers, the USB 3.0 controller, and the HD audio subsystem and the Bluetooth Controller.

In the Power section of the BIOS you are able to setup, manage and monitor you Hardware.

From within the Boot section you are able to access Hard Disk Drives submenu, accessed through the Boot menu, shows all detected hard drive type devices connected to the system at system boot time including any detected USB 2.0 type devices.

The Tools section is pretty straight forward; here you have the ASUS EZ Flash 2 utility, O.C. profiles and Drive Xpert Configuration.

The ASUSTek EZ Flash 2 application allows you to update the system BIOS from any connected drive device, including properly detected USB 2.0 devices and NTFS style hard disk partitions. I personally like this feature because it means you don’t have to create any bootable media and or doing the BIOS from within Windows always seemed a gamble, to me anyways.

The O.C. Profile Configuration submenu allows for storage of up to 8 BIOS profiles, which are full BIOS copies cloned at the time of profile creation. Below you can see that I saved the default values for my setup as well as my current Max O.C.; notice that you can name your profiles for easy recognition for reloading at the next reboot should you need to.

The Drive Xpert Configuration submenu configures drive operation for the Marvell 6G SATA controller. Configuration is completed by selecting a configuration setting and pressing the enter key. On system reboot, the operational mode you have selected will take effect. I do not have any drives connected via the Marvell controller hence Drive Xpert shows “Not Detected”.

So, what do you think of ASUS’s BIOS for the P6X58-E Pro motherboard? I find it easy to work in and all the options to satisfy me. The numerous options should not intimate the first time user; just go into the tools section once you have the system up and running and save your settings as your first profile so that you can always reload the default settings before you explore your choices and learn your system’s abilities.

Let's take a quick look at some of the included software features and utilities that come as part of the ROG package with the P6X58-E Pro.

AI Suite II

AI Suite II is a user friendly interface combining all popular ASUS applications in one single package for flexible use. With the full customization capabilities the AI Suite II integrates a large variety of applications covering features from all different, including:

- For System Tweaking:

TurboV EVO:

To enable the instant access to the performance related BIOS options aimed to provide a little more edge when conducting extreme overclocking. TurboV is a great place for enthusiast that are not totally comfortable in the BIOS to do some fine-tuning.

For those interested you will find a great on-line video that shows how you can use TurboV directly from within the software while in Windows. The video is a little on the long side time wise but very interesting, you will find the TurboV overclocking in the last 7-10 minutes. TurboV Video:

OK, now that you have seen the video let’s get back to the review:

-DIGI+ VRM:

This allows making direct alternation to the behavior of the onboard digital VRM in real-time. As far as I can remember this is a first, having extensive control of the VRM real-time within the operating system. It is impressive to see the same options from the BIOS accessible within windows.

-EPU:

Here you can configure power management in a number of ways adjusting CPU Core Voltage or CPU frequency as well as other devices such as HD, Fans and more. Whether you are customizing an efficient power profile, Undervolting or just looking to save power easily EPU allows these adjustments easily and effectively.

-Fan Xpert:

Fan Xpert allows for extensive adjustment to the CPU Fan and Primary Chassis Fan headers. Through the applications users can quickly see the current temperatures relating to both areas and make adjustments accordingly real-time within the OS. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy preset / profile or you prefer manual control in designing your own fan ramp/gradient Fan Xpert has you covered.

- For Real-time Monitoring:

- Probe II:

Allows the real-time monitoring of the key voltages, temperatures, and fan speeds together with warning capability to warn the users when any of the readings exceeds the threshold set by the user.

- Sensor Recorder:

Allows the users to show the key voltages, temperatures, and fan speeds in a graph for a quick tracking of the system status. Furthermore, an historical record can also be kept for later reference if needed.

- Side bar:

There is the display of the sensor and CPU status at the right hand side of AI Suite II to allow instant monitor of the system status when fiddling around with other applications.

- System information:

This will quickly show the CPU and DRAM info without the need to install any additional third-party applications.

Security:

ASUS has provided for your protection while on line with a full year of Internet Security 2011 from Norton.

I think you will have to agree; the ASUS P6X58-E Pro offers a great deal of software and features to satisfy the demands of the most ardent enthusiasts.

OK, let’s fire things up with some overclocking and do a little Benchmarking next……….

Test System:

• Processor: Intel i7 980X
  • Cooler: Swiftech H20-320 Edge
  • Motherboard: ASSUS P6X58-E Pro
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2000MHz 12GB Kit
  • Power Supply: CM Silent Pro Gold 1000W
  • Video Cards: 2x ENGTX560 Ti DCII
  • Hard Drive: WD 320GB and Corsair F120GB SSD
  • Optical Drive: ASUS BD Burner
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

A word about our testing:

For all of the benchmarks, appropriate lengths are taken to ensure an equal comparison through methodical setup, installation, and testing. The following outlines our testing methodology:

A) Windows is installed using a full format.

B) Chipset drivers and accessory hardware drivers (audio, network, GPU) are installed followed by a defragment and a reboot.

C) To ensure consistent results, a few tweaks were applied to Windows 7 and the NVIDIA control panel:

• UAC – Disabled
  • System Protection/Restore – Disabled
  • Problem & Error Reporting – Disabled
  • Remote Desktop/Assistance - Disabled
  • Windows Security Center Alerts – Disabled
  • Windows Defender – Disabled
  • Windows SuperFetch – Disabled
  • Screensaver – Disabled
  • Power Plan - High Performance
  • NVIDIA PhysX – Disabled

D) Programs and games are then installed & updated followed by another defragment.

E) Windows updates are then completed installing all available updates followed by a defragment.

F) Benchmarks are each ran three times after a clean reboot for every run of the benchmark unless otherwise stated, the results are then averaged. If they were any clearly anomalous results, the 3-loop run was repeated. If they remained, we will mention it in the individual benchmark write-up.

Here is a full list of the applications that we utilized in our benchmarking suite:

• AIDA64 Extreme Edition v1.85
  • wPrime Benchmark v2.04
  • PCMark 7 Professional Edition 64-bit
  • Cinebench R10 64-bit
  • Cinebench R11.5 64-bit
  • 3DMark Vantage
  • 3DMark 11

Regarding my Benchmarking:

Your PC’s performance is determined by the interactions between different hardware components, the operating system and the type and amount of software running. A benchmark provides a set of performance tests that can be repeated with a high degree of accuracy on a wide range of computer hardware.

We will show our results with several benchmarks while running the system at stock speed and while overclocked.

That is about all you need to know methodology wise, so let's get to the good stuff!!

I really like AIDA64 Extreme Edition which is streamlined for Windows diagnostic and benchmarking for home users. AIDA64 Extreme Edition provides a wide range of features to assist in overclocking, hardware error diagnosis, stress testing, and sensor monitoring. It has unique capabilities to assess the performance of the processor, system memory, and disk drives. AIDA64 is compatible with all current 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows operating systems, including Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

AIDA64 Extreme Edition 1.85 - CPU & FPU Benchmarks

AIDA64 Extreme Edition 1.85 - Memory Benchmarks

Next up we will do some System Benchmarks………..