Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Thank you for the answers guys. If the performance will increase only 10% 20% then I will give up my Raid 0 idea. If there performance increase will be around 2x, then I will sacrifice my OS and I will make a clean Win8 install then.

I have 500gb samsung 840 evo and since it will die sometime in the future, it is good that I didnt buy 1gb samsung 840 evo.

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by PredatoR_TR View Post
    Thank you for the answers guys. If the performance will increase only 10% 20% then I will give up my Raid 0 idea. If there performance increase will be around 2x, then I will sacrifice my OS and I will make a clean Win8 install then.

I have 500gb samsung 840 evo and since it will die sometime in the future, it is good that I didnt buy 1gb samsung 840 evo.
    10 to 20% increase? no man, that's only in sequential read/write like if you were to copy one large ISO of 10 GB let's say, it will reach that speed.

But that is a rare case since a typical user will be just browsing the net or playing games or watching a movie. When it comes to 4K Random Read/Write speeds, the RAID 0 is a bit lower than a single drive, and your startup will be slower since the RAID intitializing takes 2 seconds more at startup. Stick to a single drive! no point in RAID 0 on a single SSD setup in a normal or power user workload

Here is a detailed thread proving this point:

1 Single SSD vs 2 SSD RAID-0

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

Pokerface is right man... Plus, your EVO will last way longer than you think. Once OS is installed there and you have the 2nd mechanical drive for most other stuff, chances are you are not really wearing the SSD much. SSDs now come a bit bigger than they say as well, to move files to the unused blocks when the old ones become useless. Speccy by Piriform has the power to tell you how much % usable SSD you have left if you are wondering about its life...

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Maxter View Post
    Pokerface is right man... Plus, your EVO will last way longer than you think. Once OS is installed there and you have the 2nd mechanical drive for most other stuff, chances are you are not really wearing the SSD much. SSDs now come a bit bigger than they say as well, to move files to the unused blocks when the old ones become useless. Speccy by Piriform has the power to tell you how much % usable SSD you have left if you are wondering about its life...
    Very true, people worry too much about SSDs relaly! just use it and forget it! it will not fail before you reach 700 TB of writes to it! by that time your SSD will be so old already you are ready for an upgrade to the next best thing

Samsung has not given any official P/E count or TBW rating for the EVO series. On their global site they claim 10GB writes per day will make the 120GB version last for 28 years. This roughly translates to 100 TBW. Let's wear it out and see if it dies gracefully...

Source: http://ssdendurancetest.com/ssd-endu...ng-840-EVO-120
    and that's just on the 120GB version the higher the space the more the endurance
    Last edited by pokerface; 08-06-2014 at 04:05 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Okay guys, you convinced me. I will stick with a single drive. No Raid0 for me now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2