cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Extreme + Corsair H100i Help

Bad_S3kt0r
Level 7
Hey fellas,

I'm having some issues with this board, so let me try to explain my situation.
I just purchased and installed a Maximus V extreme motherboard. It was a refurb so of course, only the manual and driver disc were not included.

I didn't think this would turn out to be an issue, but it was an absolute nightmare collecting and installing all the drivers needed, and I'm not sure I've even installed all of them correctly as of this moment.

Anyway, I also purchased a Corsair H100i cooler and plugged it into one of the USB headers of the board. Sounds simple right? Apparently not. I can't seem to get the Corsair Link software to recognize the cooler at all. Not sure if I did something wrong or if I'm supposed to use another header?

Also, does anyone know where I could perhaps purchase a motherboard support/driver disc for this board? I know they wouldn't be the most current drivers, but I'd really like the seamless process over using the atrocious 1 by 1 installation method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for droning on.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB)
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72
17 REPLIES 17

Highlnder3
Level 7
The following link goes straight to Asus's support page for the V Extreme. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

Just find the most updated drivers/software and download them.

As for the H100i does it show in the device manager for Windows? Also, what version of Corsair Link Software are you running? Lastly, are you sure you didn't try to install the software for the Link Commander?

Good luck
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass!!!

Maximus V Extreme - 3770K @ 4.5ghz - Kingston Hyper X KHX24C11K4/16X 16GB @ 2400mhz
Corsair Hydro Series H80i - 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning - Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - WD Caviar Black 2TB
Xonar Phoebus - Corsair AX1200i - Antec Eleven Hundred - LG 27EA63V

Thanks for your reply.

I'm well aware of the support page. Let me just say I am no fan of this page by any means.

Where would the fan be displayed in my device manager? I'll check when I get home.

Also I'll have to verify what I installed. I went directly to the Corsair h100i product page and downloaded the corsair link software.
Was I supposed to download and install something else as well?

Thanks again.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72

Chino
Level 15
It isn't as atrocious as you might think. Depending on which version of Windows you're rolling with, you should only need the Chipset, LAN, and audio drivers. If you plan on using the WIFI & Bluetooth module, that one as well.

Sorry, I can't help you with the H100i. Never owned one before. 😛

I'll have to try and check it out when I get home. I'm running win 7 ultimate (64 bit).

Update: I tried re-securing the USB header, re-installed corsair link and ran as admin and suddenly it worked without a hitch. everything from fan speed to the LED colors. I'm a little confused, but hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

As far as the drivers go, if I understand correctly, this motherboard has 2 Sata drivers/controllers? If so, does anyone know which are the Intel ports and which are the other ones? I believe they're called "ASmedia" or something along those lines. The manual doesn't specify which ports belong to which controller.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72

Chino
Level 15
From top to bottom. The two black SATA II ports and the two red SATA III ports beside them are from the native Intel controller. The last four red SATA III ports are from the Asmedia controller.

And from my understanding, it'd be better to install my SSD (windows drive) to the intel controlled ports, right? (the ones closest to the black sata II ports). Just need to confirm, because I'm not sure why there are 2 controller anyway.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72

Chino
Level 15
That is correct. The native Intel SATA ports will give you higher performance. Due to Intel chipset limitations, only a certain amount of SATA ports are available. So motherboard makers incorporate third party controllers like Asmedia or Marvel to add extra SATA ports.

Bad_S3kt0r
Level 7
Okay, so the Intel ports are the 2 Red ports directly next to the Black Sata II ports? (top and bottom)

Also I'm curious why they aren't shown in the manual or on the board as such
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72

Thank you for all your help. The original issues I had posted about have been resolved.
Intel 3770k
Corsair H100i GTX
ROG Maximus V Extreme
MSI 980ti Gaming 6GB
Corsair HX850
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
-------
ROG Asus G751JY-DB72