cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny thing happened with my core being stuck at .77 GhZ on battery

tibidk
Level 7
So i was experiencing problems with my core being stuck at .77 GhZ on battery and none of the solutions posted on the forum seemed to work, so i just gave up on the whole deal.

Earlyer this week i decided to give out some of my computational power to a good cause and i started using folding@home. I only run it on GPU.

Somehow, since i started running folding@home, my core suddenly went up to 2,40 GhZ and i have no idea why. Don't get me wrong, i love it! I can finally use my laptop at its full potential even on battery 🙂 .

Anyway, if some of you still have the .77 GhZ issue you can try folding@home and contribute to a good cause in the meantime 🙂

PS: even at full capacity, battery life is still 4-5 hours
5 REPLIES 5

Maxter
Level 9
The 0.77 GHz issue is solved with a BIOS update... check out the sticky thread.

Maxter wrote:
The 0.77 GHz issue is solved with a BIOS update... check out the sticky thread.

Indeed, this issue has been resolved many months ago in BIOS 208 and above
ALIENWARE 18 Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7-4900MQ CPU @ 3.8 GHz (8MB Cache)
Graphics: Dual GeForce GTX 780M SLI 2x4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek ALC668 HD Audio with Klipsch Speakers
Memory: 32 GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz DDR3 PC3-14900 RAM
Storage: Samsung 850 PRO 256 GB SSD + Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB SSD + Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB mSATA SSD
Screen: Samsung LTM184HL01 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 X 1080) TrueLife Display PLS 16:9 1080p [SDC4C48]

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
tibidk wrote:

Somehow, since i started running folding@home, my core suddenly went up to 2,40 GhZ and i have no idea why. Don't get me wrong, i love it! I can finally use my laptop at its full potential even on battery 🙂 .

Anyway, if some of you still have the .77 GhZ issue you can try folding@home and contribute to a good cause in the meantime 🙂

PS: even at full capacity, battery life is still 4-5 hours

You might already know this, but if you don't stress the system, the cpu automatically downclocks (it's smart and only speeds up when you need it to), so when you were having the CPU speed .77Ghz issue (only on the G750JW, G750JX, and G750JH with older bios versions) before wondering if you were running a program to stress the system?

Anyway, just wanted to run this by you.

xeromist
Glad to hear you are trying Folding! As others have mentioned there is an update available. Even though you have a workaround with the Folding client you should still flash the update to ensure optimal operation even when not running F@H.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

tibidk
Level 7
I flashed the update, but nothing happened and i removed power4gear as well. For some reason, the stress from folding did the trick 😄