Hey guys before i go on here's what I just got:

• Crosshair V Formula
  • PowerColor Radeon HD 6950 2GB
  • 4x4 G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2133 [F3-17000CL9Q-16GBXLD]
  • AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 8 Core CPU
  • 2X Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD
  • 2X WD Caviar Black 500GB HD
  • Antec HCG-750w PSU

I've tried clearing CMOS with and without the battery, using 1 stick of ram in each slot and of course checked cables.

All mobo leds are GREEN

I've read somewhere that you need an AM3 CPU first and then you need to update the BIOS before you put in the new CPU and someone has also said there was a way to flash it without installing an older CPU first but they didn't give any details.

I thought it might also be the RAM but it appears to work with the CHV, source: http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=8977

Any and all help is appreciated, this is driving me nuts haha..

Cheers
16 REPLIES 16

Retired
Not applicable
Thats pretty much it. If you have an older BIOS, you need an old CPU to boot to be able to flash the new BIOS to recognize the BD's.

Retired
Not applicable
So just to confirm, the ONLY way to get the Crosshair V (with an older BIOS) to recognize AM3+ chips is to boot with an AM3 chip and update the BIOS?

This would be really annoying because my current chip is an AM2+ and I don't know anyone that has an AM3 so i'd literally have to order yet another, older chip and waste a bunch of time and money..

tekNinja wrote:
So just to confirm, the ONLY way to get the Crosshair V (with an older BIOS) to recognize AM3+ chips is to boot with an AM3 chip and update the BIOS?

This would be really annoying because my current chip is an AM2+ and I don't know anyone that has an AM3 so i'd literally have to order yet another, older chip and waste a bunch of time and money..

Hi,

If the board will not POST I think you should either RMA it or contact ASUS Support in Canada and have them ship you a BIOS chip with the latest public UEFI build on it.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
I just want to confirm that this WAS in fact the problem.

I did not have access to an AM3 CPU with any friends or local stores..

However! I purchased a cheap desktop PC from Walmart that had an Athlon II in it, swapped the chip, updated the bios, swapped back and returned the PC to Walmart for a full refund.

And yes now it seems to run perfectly fine with the 8150.

Cheers

Retired
Not applicable
tekNinja wrote:
However! I purchased a cheap desktop PC from Walmart that had an Athlon II in it, swapped the chip, updated the bios, swapped back and returned the PC to Walmart for a full refund.

Heh...well that's one way to do it. Seems a little unethical to me though.

ASharp wrote:

Nah, liberal return policies at most major US retailers saves the day.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Nah, liberal return policies at most major US retailers saves the day.

Ohh rahHH ! good Job This guy should be promoted to super GURU@ASUS !

The wonders of Wal Mart !
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Retired
Not applicable
ASharp wrote:

It's unethical to send me a motherboard that isn't compatible with a processor it's suppose to be compatible with.

tekNinja wrote:
It's unethical to send me a motherboard that isn't compatible with a processor it's suppose to be compatible with.

You should take it up with your retailer for selling you an old motherboard. It's not ASUS' fault that you got a board with an old bios.

I personally ordered mine from Newegg the day the FX-8150 came out (oct 12) and mine came with 0705 bios which was compatible with it no problem. And, I might add, that bios was also somewhat old.
Intel i7-4790k @ 4600 (100x46) 1.265vc (w/ Corsair H100 & Gelid GC-Extreme)
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Mushkin Enhanced Red/Blackline 4x4GB @ 2000Mhz
MSI Lightning Radeon 6970 @ 940/1375
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 120GB Sata III
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TBx2 in W7 Raid 1
Corsair Obsidian 800D w/ Corsair AX850 PSU