cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did a silly thing . and i regret it (G74sx after disassembly)

Darksilver89
Level 7
I disassembled my G74sx-RH1 , I've owned it for about 2+ years and decided to clean it , I cleaned my table and such for static . After taking it apart and cleaning it and putting it all back together again , It boots and i see the lights of the keyboard show up , set me to bios and I just saved and exited. Now my screen is blank. The keyboard it self works , the lights turn on , but the screen won't turn on at all . so i decided ill turn it on and leave it on to see what happens and still the screen will not turn on. If anyone has any suggestions I'm more than glad to listen and try it .
4 REPLIES 4

billyray520
Level 10
Do you have video from HDMI or VGA ports?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

I do not have video coming from either ports , tried the hdmi port on my TV and the vga on a small monitor i use when i code .... I'm guessing my GPU is fried now . and I;m running into another problem, I turn it on and it boots but turns off 10 seconds later. it is probably the whole motherboard now. I'm either thinking of getting a new laptop or sending it to asus and see if they can replace parts and fix it ... but I'm out of factory warranty and one i paid for at the store where i purchased it.

that sucks... I would disassemble and reassemble the whole thing again, nothing to lose at this point... Seems like you might have missed something or installed something wrong if your lucky.... If not, check out the Aorus X7 v2 .... Probably my next laptop series down the line ... My G74 is 3 years old now... would be great if I got another 2 years out of it at least
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
I remember some people reporting on other models that if a cable is not seated properly it can cause problems like this too, so if nothing else works, you might need to take it apart and slowly check everything as you put it together again.

If you can do this safely, assemble just the minimum things to get video first before connecting everything, but you want to make sure things don't accidentally move around and short things out, etc.

You may know you can always try to send it back to ASUS for out-of-warranty service too if necessary.

Good luck!