cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a cable router with 5Ghz WiFi and great for gaming.

skywalker311
Level 8
I need a cable router that has 5GHz WiFi and that be great for gaming.
It doesn't have to be the most expensive one either.
I'm in the states and I have cable Ethernet that is super fast.
I'm just tired of renting my router that doesn't do what I need.
Plus you can't change any of the setting on the router that my cable company use's.
I love Asus products but it doesn't have to be in Asus router.
My budget is $200 but $140 would be best.
Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.
1 REPLY 1

totalrognoob
Level 7
Skywalker, for clarification, do you have a separate modem or is that included in your current router?
If yes, I love the heck out of my RT-AC66U, the UI is nice, it just got a new set of firmware with a couple of neat features(Lost miliwatt control of the TX power, which I liked rather a lot, but don't need). It's a bit higher than $140 at $159.99 on newegg. It's fairly easy to set up by hand(paranoia didn't let me connect it to the network until it was locked down, which messes with the auto setup). While my internet sucks(2 Mb/s down), cross machine transfers have hit 50 each way, even with about a dozen devices on the thing.
If no, I don't know of router for you. I'm sure the other gentlemen(and ladies) will take care of you.