cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Install Strategy- will this work

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
Hi, new member with first post. Tried searching but couldn't find my answer questioned.lol

ROG G750JM being delivered later today. 250G Samsung SSD and win 7 Home Premium coming in a few days.

I know I can, and plan to, install win 7 clean onto the new SSD. Can I just put the original HD in the second slot with the win8.1 OS intact? This is to keep the original OS in case of warranty work NOT to boot from. I just want to use original HD for storage. I have NO intention to use win 8 except for a few days till win7 arrives, nothing about it appeals to me.

I realize I will lose a little storage space but that shouldn't be any problem for quite a while.

I just want to know will the win 8.1 OS on the second drive cause me issues I might regret? If this is indeed an issue I have a spare 500g HD I could use instead but would prefer to use the bigger drive.

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

Kelusion
Level 7
Hello Greatwhitewing, welcome and very good choice going with the JM, hope it all work's out great for you, first of all, use Asus Backtracker to copy the settings of your factory into a USB Flash which you can always use later on to revert back to the Factory if there is a problem with anything later down the road, on the below thread which will help you with Asus Backtracker,

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40548-Backing-up-your-ASUS-factory-Win8-Recovery-Partition&...

Just a little VID as well to help you do it properly :D, when you actually do the switch and however you plan to do it,

And to answer your real question, yes you can do it, however you need to choose the right Boot order from the Boot Options in the Bios and make sure its not the Win 8 one. Hope it all works out great for you 🙂
Where to find latest Asus Rog G750/751 drivers?

Please use search in the forums, there might be alot of threads which have similar answers to what you are looking for!

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
edited in new post

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
I just looked closer and I have a SINGLE physical drive so the 1TB drive will get moved over to the empty slot AFTER I install the SSD and load win 7.

When I first peeked under the cover I mistakenly saw TWO drives when one was just the bracket.

I have run the asus backtracker onto a 16gig flash drive for safe keeping. For now I don't want dual boot or have any any remnants of win 8 unless I need it for service.

Greatwhitewing wrote:
I just looked closer and I have a SINGLE physical drive so the 1TB drive will get moved over to the empty slot AFTER I install the SSD and load win 7.

When I first peeked under the cover I mistakenly saw TWO drives when one was just the bracket.

I have run the asus backtracker onto a 16gig flash drive for safe keeping. For now I don't want dual boot or have any any remnants of win 8 unless I need it for service.

That's good to hear 🙂 let us know it works out for you, its a beast of a machine, you'll love it am sure.
Where to find latest Asus Rog G750/751 drivers?

Please use search in the forums, there might be alot of threads which have similar answers to what you are looking for!

gazzacbr
Level 10
Hi,
fyi, the main drive i.e. disk 0 is the middle one. if you have a different os on each drive put your main os, windows 7, in the middle.
check if you want to use gpt or mbr format on the windows 7 disk bfore you format it. its possible to change the type afterwards but safer not to. the install is slightly different but lots of info available from google.
mbr = easy
gpt = not quite so easy

once booted you will not notice any difference.

here is a good explaination
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

gazzacbr wrote:
Hi,
fyi, the main drive i.e. disk 0 is the middle one. if you have a different os on each drive put your main os, windows 7, in the middle.
check if you want to use gpt or mbr format on the windows 7 disk bfore you format it. its possible to change the type afterwards but safer not to. the install is slightly different but lots of info available from google.
mbr = easy
gpt = not quite so easy

Didn't see your post till after I installed win 7 clean on the new SSD. Went pretty well. I didn't make any changes to the ssd.

Any idea why Asus doesn't put the big drive in disk 0 position? I assumed (incorrectly) they used the first location so I took out the hd and put the ssd in that location. When I tried to put the HD back in the center position after loading win 7 it booted into win 8. I'll try putting the SSD in the center and HD in the other slot and see what happens.