cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless latency issues - gaming

slimo
Level 7
Had ongoing issues with my new G550 but noticed that web browsing, youtube etc works fine on the wireless network but gaming (TF2, WoW) doesn't - ping is in the thousands and usually just get kicked off the server.
Has anyone else experienced this? Running Windows 8.1.
59 REPLIES 59

Kelusion
Level 7
When I got my JZ, I used the wireless for everything like for 2 weeks tops and didn't had this issue, although now am on Wired for better connection, Wireless still works fine if i'm using the laptop on a different room or place, though I might not get the same result, but not less then it too. Pretty okay to play CS:GO, League, Dota and Tf2. I would suggest go to Asus Support page below and get the Latest Killer-N Wireless Driver along with Wireless Drivers needed for your laptop and then give it a shot, since you haven't wrote your Model, Click on 'Change My Model' in the top accordingly to the one you have then see what are the results as I mentioned, give it a shot and let us know 🙂

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=521&m=G750JZ&os=&hashedid=yql3Rpr80XDgQJbl
Where to find latest Asus Rog G750/751 drivers?

Please use search in the forums, there might be alot of threads which have similar answers to what you are looking for!

Thanks for the advice - I should have said I have been to the support page and tried all of the different drivers with no success.

slimo wrote:
Thanks for the advice - I should have said I have been to the support page and tried all of the different drivers with no success.

slimo, which Wifi hardware / driver version does your G550 have?

There are other download areas than the G550 area, that might have a newer version. What router make/model and firmware version are you connecting to? How fast is your upload/download as advertised by your ISP?

Wifi config gets a bit complicated beyond driver/firmware versions, but making sure you have the latest for both is a good place to start. Then we can debug from there.

Try these other locations to find newer versions of your wifi hardware/driver in your G550:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50358-Asus-G750JH-wifi-problem-used-the-laptop-for-1-day-!!...

theclaw37
Level 9
@Slimo: I was having these problems with my non-Killer Broadcom AC card. When i installed the drivers from Asus the performance in games was catastrophal (like you said, 500-1000ms latency). But then i removed the driver from the device manager (along with the option to delete the actual driver from the computer) and just let Windows use the Microsoft default one. And believe it or not, THAT driver is the best. Works like a charm now.

theclaw37 wrote:
@Slimo: I was having these problems with my non-Killer Broadcom AC card. When i installed the drivers from Asus the performance in games was catastrophal (like you said, 500-1000ms latency). But then i removed the driver from the device manager (along with the option to delete the actual driver from the computer) and just let Windows use the Microsoft default one. And believe it or not, THAT driver is the best. Works like a charm now.

theclaw37, it may work, but it possibly isn't the best / latest choice 🙂

What is the driver version installed by Windows Update?

Did you go to the Asus WLAN download area and get the latest Broadcom driver? Which Broadcom driver version did you try from Asus? Version V6.30.223.228 is the latest here:

Asus WLAN drivers
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=WLAN&os=3

theclaw37
Level 9
@hmscott: Yes, i have actually tried them all. The 228 version you linked is utter crap. It transforms my 300Mbps connection into a 56Kbps modem 😄

theclaw37 wrote:
@hmscott: Yes, i have actually tried them all. The 228 version you linked is utter crap. It transforms my 300Mbps connection into a 56Kbps modem 😄

theclaw37, what version did Windows Update install?

theclaw37
Level 9
@hmscott: The Microsoft driver is 6.30.223.102. And it IS a Wifi AC driver, and it DOES work perfectly. Better than any Broadcom driver

theclaw37 wrote:
@hmscott: The Microsoft driver is 6.30.223.102. And it IS a Wifi AC driver, and it DOES work perfectly. Better than any Broadcom driver

theclaw37, the 6.30.223.102 is an old Broadcom driver distributed by Microsoft 5/31/2013, a newer driver should work better. It is possible you got a corrupted download of the 6.30.223.228 driver, I see a couple of instances of that download with different sizes.

I used the latest Asus downloaded Broadcom driver when I had my JX / Broadcom 802.11ac with Windows 8.1, and it worked fine with an Asus RT-AC66 connecting as 802.11ac, probably the 6.30.223.143 version or the one just before that.

Maybe try another 6.30.223.228 download point, or back off a version at a time till it starts working again as desired. The .102 is pretty old now.

What make/model of router are you using?