cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV extreme black edition - boot problems after win 7 sp1 update

kristoffach
Level 7
After updating windows 7 to sp1 i encountered some problems during the restart/configuring stages. On the 3/3 step my computer started to show randomly colored lines and after that it was stuck on the black "starting windows" pre-loggin screen no matter how many times i try to restart it. Although the corrupted color lines are gone, its now only showing the black screen with the windows flag.
I've tried:
* removing the boot hdd - no changes
* removing all sata connected devices - no changes
* tried with another gpu - no changes
* tried with a different set of dimms - no changes
* tried the 2. Bios on my mb - still no changes.
* leaving the system without power for a while - no changes

I've tried everything that comes to mind except a bios flash which i can't perform right now since i dont have a secondary computer available.
Keep in mind that the windows screen shows up even without the harddrive connected, different gpu and ram. I'm pretty sure this is related somehow to the motherboard since it and the cpu are the only components that hasn't been swaped out during troubleshooting.

My specs are:
Asus rampage extreme IV black edition
Intel i7 4930k
Gigabyte gt 780 ti windforce
Samsung evo 840 ssd
Corsair vengance 1866mhz 16gb ddr
4 REPLIES 4

Praz
Level 13
kristoffach wrote:
Keep in mind that the windows screen shows up even without the harddrive connected

Hello

All hard drives, USB sticks and optical drives are disconnected? It is not possible for the Windows start screen to be seen without something connected to the system that contains the Windows boot files. There is nothing motherboard related that can contain this configuration.

I've unpluged all cables except power, hdmi and keyboard. Still shows the same screen.
For anyone wondering, this is the "starting windows" screen im talking about.http://windows.spoonfed.org/user/files/Seven/Logo%20flying.png

kristoffach
Level 7
Another thing that worries me is the cpu temperature skyrockets when starting up. After a few minutes it reaches 70*c. I've never had any issues with cpu overheating prior to this, max ive reached was 55*c.
Good thing i hooked up my oc panel.

kristoffach
Level 7
If it is of any help the q-code reads 34 (cpu post-memory initialization) and the q-led indicates BOOT_DEVICE_LED.