cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SW-XN1 - Touchpad area, magnent sensitive?

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all,

I experienced an issue last night where I had laid a laptop HDD down over the touchpad on my laptop, and noticed after I looked back up on the laptop that the screen was blacked out. I moved the drive off of the touchpad and it stayed black. I also noticed the power button and the 3 Asus LED's in the upper left corner of the laptop were all lit as normal. I didn't check the status LED's below the touchpad unfortunately. I had to hit the power button a few times (quickly, not held in) before the laptop powered down. Then when I went to turn it back on, it took several presses (again quickly) of the power button to get the laptop to turn back on.

Another thing, I didn't catch if Windows was "Resuming" or if it was just powering back up from a non-sleep state.

So, my question is, is there a magnent sensitive device near the touchpad that could cause this issue? I'm concerned about the power button issue that so many have mentioned, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions here.

From my reading, I am thinking that maybe having the hard drive sitting on top of the touchpad may have triggered a "Sleep" mode on the laptop, and if that's the case, that could explain the whole thing.

One last thing to note. When the PC booted back up, while I was going through the login process, I noticed the screen flashed red for a moment then cleared up. I suspect this is related to the nvidia Beta driver that I'm running, but again, I'm unsure.

Does anyone else have any experience with a similar issue?
2 REPLIES 2

grungeboy2
Level 10
yeah, we've hashed this out a few times recently.

modern laptops use a magnet system to tell if the lid's open or not. they're two small, powerful magnets. one is in the lid, around the webcam i think, the other is in the base, probably around the bottom of the trackpad buttons. by setting a magnetic device in that area, the laptop thinks the lid is closed and turns off the screen.

older laptops used a small button, near the hinge, to tell. newer ones (newer than 2001-ish) usually have magnets.

Retired
Not applicable
Ok then, that puts my mind at ease then. I'll just avoid placing anything that has magnents in it around the laptop at all (this should have been a no-brainer...)

Thanks