Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array 1ceTr0n's Avatar

Now its time for a few more case modifications. Nothing major, just some little changes

Because with with my new Sandy bridge build, I now had access to USB 3.0 for future needs. As such, I felt I was no longer going to use the front E-Sata port. Along with that, I've never, ever used front panel audio connections either. I also wanted to reduce the amount of cabling in my case and make it easier to look clean, so I snipped the cables

After years and years of blue HDD activity LED's, I was really ready for a change of pace, not to mention the blue just wasn't gonna go with the Asus ROG color theme. Once again, time to dust off an old and long since unused case modding too, the soldering gun!

Antec's cases over the years have made it childs play to remove and swap out case LED's

Time for some sexy red LED action!

A little prep work in the wiring, some stripping, some soldering, a little glue here and there....

And wallah! No more ocean blue LED, its now a passionate and naughty red!

Now thats what i'm talking about!

Allright, accomplished some more work on it recently so lets continue!

Time to get this baby rebuilt and running!

In an effort to help balance the cases airflow as I wanted to have "positive" pressure and not negative for best cooling effects, I tried to try to 5v mod the upper 200mm Antec Big Boy fan. Unfortuantly, 5v doesn't even get the fan spinning at all, no matter what I tried. With the 200mm van even on the lowest setting at 12v, it still exhausts more air then the twin 120mm coolermasters can provide thus, I'm still suffering from a "negative" air pressure effect and my initial temps are showing it. Grr.........lame. For now, I have no choice but to leave the 200mm top exhaust fan until I figure out my cooling problem...

Dunno in the end if I i'll have the big top fan fan running or not, but least it it looks good now!

Now that is one sexy looking ROG themed DVD drive if I do say so myself!

As I'm sure some of you may have wondered "With all the drive bays gone, weres the HDD gonna go?" Well, i've got a solution and here it is!

Because the WDD Black Caviers arn't known to be quiet drives, I wanted to be sure the drive stayed quiet as possible. In the cases "Black Ice" days, I created a HDD suspension system in the drive bay to help isolate HDD seeking and motor noises and it worked pretty well

However, with all the drive bays now useless after the case modding, I went for "Plan B" for quieting the HDD down. I still had plenty of leftover silicon HDD grommets included with the case, so I decided to use those for once, but in a different way!

Using some very stick doublesided tape, I carefully applied it to several section of the lower HDD area and stuck the silicon holders in place. After that, it was a simple matter of installing the HDD in the upper 5.25'' drive bay. Simple, effective and it works pretty dang well!

Now its time for some wiring cleaning up. The Coolermaster wiring was a nice silver color, so I decided to leave that alone, but I wanted the wiring to look clean and sharp inside the case. Again, using some double sided sticky tape and some patient, this is what I came up with!

Looking pretty good methinks, but that video card looks a bit... "boring" Hmm.....

Just enough red to add some contrast and color to the rear and go with the ROG color theme

Front looks totally kick ass now! No more boring and dull all black color, it looks really nice and goes with the Asus ROG theme well! But it still needs something to give it a "Bad ass rig look" and I think I have a simple idea.....

Time to fire it up and check out everything! Hmmmm, the fans look good but even at high and VERY noisy speeds, the LED's just don't pump out enough red for my taste. Looks like another order from FrozenCPU.com!

This is were I ran into my next frustrating part. The Coolermaster Sickeflow fans arn't what I call "quiet" at their top speed much to my dissapiontment. On top of that, I found out the hard way that my Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z mobo doesn't allow me to control the chassis fan headers individually. The UEFI Bios also doesn't allow me to set certain RPM's to keep the fans from "ramping" up when the temperature increases inside the case, they go by the chassis temperature and I can't override it.

On top of that, running the top 200mm Antec Big boy on the lowest setting creates too much of "negative" pressure inside the case, especially when the front intake fans arn't running at max, which are WAAAY to freaking loud. Well this all just flat out sucks....looks like im gonna have to do some re thinking of the cooling layout of the case

AND on top of it, now with the big window in the side panel, the new GTX 570 SC video card looks a bit...."boring" to look at. I've placed an order for something special to help give it a more "custom" look to go with the case mods and color theme.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

Nice job there...!next week we'll be seeing you on the cover of CPU Mag....!

Well, here's a small update at this point as im currently on hold waiting for new fans, decals, lights and a special part for the GPU.

I think i'm pretty much done with the front area of the case. Looks pretty good now with the case badge swag!

I decided to see how the ROG mobo decal would look for starters. Not bad, but the amount of clear sticker is somewhat ugly. Gonna have to replace it with a new one and trim off all the excess clear sticker so it looks sharper on the case.

Still not finished, but looking pretty good so far!

Woo hooo! I just got a new package of goodies at Frozencpu today, my new red LED light strip!

This sucker really pumps out the light! I get spots on my eyes just by looking at it for a few seconds! I'm a dilemna though, I can't decide which looks better illumination and mood lighting wise for the case. Below is if I have the light strip on top of the case. It looks good and lightens up entire case. But at same time, almost seems too much...

Or if I put it on the back side, it gives it a bit more of a "moody" look though not as well illuminated inside

What do you guys think/prefer?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array G4MER's Avatar

Really nice.. as a person who has been to many a night fire, maybe add a few hundrend laser pointers. Looks great though. Love it.
    WINNER Of: iBUYPOWER / ASUS - GAMER PALADIN Z68

CPU - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor
    MoBo - Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    ODD - BLU-RAY Reader Combo Drive
    PSU - 850W Extreme Gaming Series Power Supply
    VGA - ASUS GTX 570 DirectCU II (1 GB)
    Memory - 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory – Corsair Vengeance
    Audio - ASUS Xonar DX
    Networking - Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card
    Hard Drive - 60GB SSD SATA III 6Gb/s – Single Drive

( I WAS A G4MER, WHEN G4MING WAS UNCOOL )

More stuff came in, so more progress to be made, lets do it!

Nothing makes a Friday that much better then getting more goodies in the mail! In this case, stuff from eVGA and Asus!

Oh yeah, now were talking! Thanks Asus for the extra goodies and thanks eVGA!

Ever since I got the case mostly put back together, it was bothering me that the video card looked so... dull and boring. I was originally against the very idea of paying for something that should have came with the card in the first place, but after I saw a few other eVGA cards with them and how good they looked with the backplates, I decided to change my tune and give one a try

And in less then 10 minutes, wallah! Much more sleeker and custom looking! Best $20 i've spent in a good while for a "bling" touch and a total snap to install! Kudos to eVGA once again!

Oh yes, thats much better! Just what the case modder ordered!

Yeah, now it looks like it was made just for *Night Fire*!

Thanks to a nice guy at the Asus ROG forums, I got an extra mobo sticker to put on the side panel. Now its got some sexy ROG color as well!

Now were getting close to the end! But man, that window molding has always looked dry and dull looking. Hmm, I have an idea.....

Good old Armor All to save the day!

Very nice! I'm real happy with out this is turning out, despite the few setbacks! Were getting real close to final completion of *Night Fire*! Just two more little parts that im waiting on, a little bit of touch up here and there and she'll be ready for the full unveil next week, and just in time for Battlefield 3 launch on the 24th at midnight, wooooo!

The final countdown has begun!

Wooooo, I love weekends! USPS just dropped off the last crucial part! Thanks to listen to remix here on OCN, I was able to snag a brand new Gentle Typhoon AP-14 to help complete my system cooling overhaul after the coolermasters turned out to be a dude. Lets get cooling!

Thanks again listen to remix, great packaging job and fast shipping all the way from NY to the rockies!

Now that we finally have our last fan to keep *Night Fire* running cool under heavy gaming loads, lets get installed. But first, we gotta do something about that ugly yellow and red wiring as thats gonna look terrible inside our sleek black case interior. Time for ingenuity!

A little permanent maker and wallah, mucho better! Look ma, no sleeving!

Oh yeah, great cooling and utter quiet, what more could you want?

And a little bit more wiring cleaning to keep it all sharp....

Yeah baby! Flame on! Who needs the dwinky led coolermasters now anyway?

Tis beautiful no?

Allright, at last, all major mods have been done! Of course, being a case modder, I just had to think of something else I could add, just a little extra "bling" for that special touch. I'm contemplating ordering it, will keep you posted on what I decide!

Six Foot Ginger
    NICE!!

I like it

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast