cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVIDIA driver stopped responding

MikeV
Level 7
I started getting "Display driver stopped responding" messages after returning to desktop from a game. It might be related to the fact that I installed the latest drivers from ASUS in order to support stable 100Hz refresh rate on the Chi Mei panel.

Usually the driver stops responding after starting and stopping a game 3-4 times and only once it has stopped responding while in-game. When this happens, the screen is 50%-50% horizontally split dark gray/blue and is flickering. Windows will recover the driver in ~30 seconds.

Any idea how to be able to preserve the 100Hz refresh rate or do I just need to go back to 60Hz for system stability?
9 REPLIES 9

MikeV
Level 7
There was discussion in the thread below, but I none of the solutions proposed there worked for me.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39130-G750JX-quot-Display-driver-stopped-responding-and-has...

Maxter
Level 9
I've seen this too. I installed a different driver version. I have been using R335 for a while... very stable.

hmscott
Level 12
MikeV wrote:
I started getting "Display driver stopped responding" messages after returning to desktop from a game. It might be related to the fact that I installed the latest drivers from ASUS in order to support stable 100Hz refresh rate on the Chi Mei panel.

Usually the driver stops responding after starting and stopping a game 3-4 times and only once it has stopped responding while in-game. When this happens, the screen is 50%-50% horizontally split dark gray/blue and is flickering. Windows will recover the driver in ~30 seconds.

Any idea how to be able to preserve the 100Hz refresh rate or do I just need to go back to 60Hz for system stability?

MikeV, are you using Asus GPU Tweak Tool to OC at all? You shouldn't get Nvidia driver crashes from just running the panel at 100hz, that is independant from the GPU/Memory speeds, those should still be stock.

If you are getting display driver stopped, that means the display driver is crashing due to instability at the GPU/memory speed it is running, or a program/game stability issue.

If this is happening in all games, it means you should test with Furmark/Unigine Heaven to see if you can complete a 10-15 minute run without crashing/stopping the display driver.

You don't mention which G750 you have, if you have a JW/JX/JH/JS/JZ you can run any current Nvidia driver, if you have a JM then you want to stick with 332.60 for now.

If the display driver stopped, crashing in all games / benchmarks, at stock speeds, then you need to return the laptop to the vendor if it is still in the return period, or open an RMA with Asus to repair/replace the Nvidia GTX GPU.

hmscott, I'm not using Asus GPU Tweak tool. I just want to run the panel @ 100Hz using a custom resolution from nVidia control panel. I have the G750JX model. Sorry about forgetting to mention that.

I'm going to test with Furmark next and see what happens.

Interesting results. First, I ran the test with 60 Hz refresh rate, no problems. Then, I used the nVidia control panel to switch the resolution and... BANG! I immediately got the familiar 50-50 split flickering screen. It looks there's something to the custom resolution that messes things up.

MikeV wrote:
hmscott, I'm not using Asus GPU Tweak tool. I just want to run the panel @ 100Hz using a custom resolution from nVidia control panel. I have the G750JX model. Sorry about forgetting to mention that.
I'm going to test with Furmark next and see what happens.

MikeV wrote:
It looks like I can get only 70Hz refresh rate without the 50/50 flickering screen. I don't think this issue qualifies for RMA, though, as 60Hz seems to be the stock setting for the screen.

MikeV wrote:
Interesting results. First, I ran the test with 60 Hz refresh rate, no problems. Then, I used the nVidia control panel to switch the resolution and... BANG! I immediately got the familiar 50-50 split flickering screen. It looks there's something to the custom resolution that messes things up.

MikeV, debug 1 problem at a time 🙂

Run Furmark for 15 minutes burn in test, and see if the display driver crashes. That will tell you if the Nvidia GPU is stable enough, or if it needs RMA.

As far as the flicking, I have found that 85hz is needed on the ChiMei panel to stop all flickering, above that it just makes it look nicer 🙂

If you are saying that just increasing the refresh rate is enough to trigger a driver crash, then it is an RMA'able issue. Pushing a few more frames / second at stock speeds isn't too much to ask. You should however then be able to get the Nvidia GPU to crash at 60hz with a benchmark/stress test that is reproduceable such that Asus can test your laptop when they get it for RMA.

Asus approves increasing the refresh rate of the ChiMei panel up to max stable 100hz-105hz depending on the panel, so if that induces a problem with Nvidia GPU stability - crashing - then it is RMA'able.

Asus will RMA for problems, if you aren't happy work with Asus to resolve the problem, and if they think RMA will fix it then they will set that up for you. Don't assume anything about what Asus will or will not fix, let Asus have a chance to make it right for you 🙂

You can register a login here, register your laptop, and report the issue via a Technical Inquiry, list all the details of the problem with examples that Asus can use to recreate the problem on their G750 test units, or on your laptop if RMA'd.

Let us know how it works out 🙂

The flickering 50-50 flickering screen is what I get when the driver stops responding (or when I try to raise the refresh rate when the system has become unstable).

The thing is that when debugging, I cannot get the drivers crash under Furmark or any other Graphics intensive app *except* Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. GS:GO just happens to be the game I'm mostly playing at the moment. When running CS:GO crashing after exit and system unstability (in regard of raising the refresh rate) is quite consistent.

MikeV wrote:
The flickering 50-50 flickering screen is what I get when the driver stops responding (or when I try to raise the refresh rate when the system has become unstable).

The thing is that when debugging, I cannot get the drivers crash under Furmark or any other Graphics intensive app *except* Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. GS:GO just happens to be the game I'm mostly playing at the moment. When running CS:GO crashing after exit and system unstability (in regard of raising the refresh rate) is quite consistent.

disable vsync.

MikeV
Level 7
It looks like I can get only 70Hz refresh rate without the 50/50 flickering screen. I don't think this issue qualifies for RMA, though, as 60Hz seems to be the stock setting for the screen.