cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Starting Windows" takes a lot longer than it should (Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z)

spacely8
Level 7
I am getting a longer than usual boot time for some reason on Windows 7. I get stuck on this "Starting Windows" screen for at least a good 1-3 minutes before my login screen appears.

Here are my specs:

I am booting from my 120GB Samsung EVO SSD

Mobo: Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: FX 8350
GPU: XFX R9 290x
RAM: HyperX 1600Mhz 16GB

I previously owned a MSI motherboard with a 8120 and another GPU and RAM, and this problem never happened before even when I booted from my hard disk. I've formatted the SSD 3 times before but I don't think that has slowed down its speed.
It has nothing to do with Asus software as I thought it was the AI Suite problem but I've already tried that solution with no success.

I've clean installed Windows 7 a 3rd time now with basically no updates/3rd party software installed and it still waits at that "Starting Windows" screen when I boot for way to long.
Is there something in BIOS I don't have set right or something? Is it my mobo?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

Cobra
Level 7
Was it like this from the begining when you installed your new Mobo? DId you do any changes to the BIOS?
In business network scenarios such stuff is mostly caused by a slow network as it contacts some servers and has to wait till it gets an answer or until it time outs.

spacely8
Level 7
I have a home network so there is no communication with any other servers or computers. If I recall correctly I believe it was like this when I installed this motherboard for the first time. I didn't do any changed to the BIOS

Cobra
Level 7
Also do you have all drivers for chipset and motherboard installed?

Yep.

It's a tiny bit faster than it used to be, now it only takes 30sec-1min but I know it should be faster because I booted up faster when I had another mobo
I'm going to try and disconnect some USB things and CD drives, etc and see if that works at all, because I can hear my CD Drive spinning on that waiting screen