cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx What size dvd do I use?

Retired
Not applicable
I just received my g74sxa1 the other day, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I was wondering what is the best sized DVD to use when i back up my computer? Right now I have made a simple backup using a partition, but I want a backup that's on disk. Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Yahooligan
Level 7
How much data are you wanting to backup and how often? If you just want to make restore DVDs from the recovery partition then it takes 3 single-layer (4.7GB) DVDs. If you want to back up personal data or back up the actual C: and/or 😧 drives then you need to figure out how big the backup will be.

For anything other than a 1-time backup I highly suggest you invest in an external USB drive for doing regular backups and skip the DVD route.
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

Retired
Not applicable
Yahooligan wrote:
How much data are you wanting to backup and how often? If you just want to make restore DVDs from the recovery partition then it takes 3 single-layer (4.7GB) DVDs. If you want to back up personal data or back up the actual C: and/or 😧 drives then you need to figure out how big the backup will be.

For anything other than a 1-time backup I highly suggest you invest in an external USB drive for doing regular backups and skip the DVD route.

I just want to make a restore disk. I do have an external HD and I try to back up stuff regularly. Thanks for the info.

The restore disc will fit on any kind of DVD.

JRd1st
Level 12
I would use dvd +rw so when you finally get all the kinks out of your system partition, and you decide that you would never restore to that state, you can reuse the dvd's.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com