cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toxic Envi - 1st Place at QuakeCon 2014

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7

-----------------

It's time again for another build and the Corsair 900D case looks like a nice challenge.

My last build (QuakeCon 800D) was a pleasure to create and I am proud of what I was able to accomplish.

I love the quality of the Corsair Obsidian series and the 900D is their premiere flagship case. I am looking forward to modding the case and powdercoating the exterior surfaces to suite my theme.

The theme I decided to go with is based on my favorite graphics card company - NVIDIA. The color scheme will be their company colors of green and black. There will be an illuminated claw logo inside the case just below the 5.25" bays.

-----------------

Now let's get started with the components...

Main Components:

• Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
  • CPU: Intel i7 4930K Ivy Bridge-E
  • Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
  • Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz (8x4GB)
  • GPU: 2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked in SLI
  • SSD1: 240GB ASUS RAIDR Express
  • SSD2: 360GB Corsair Force GS SATA III
  • SSD3: 360GB Corsair Force GS SATA III
  • PSU: Corsair AX1200 Modular

Watercooling Components:

• CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clean - Acetal
  • Motherboard Block: EK-FB Kit ASUS R4BE - Acetal
  • GPU Block: 2 x EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Acetal
  • GPU Backplate: 2 x EK-FC780 GTX Ti Backplate - Black
  • Pump: EK D5 X-Top Pump Top w/D5 Vario
  • Radiators: 2 x EK Coolstream 480 PE Quad 120mm
  • Reservoir: Aqualis Pro w/LED Holder - Nano Coated
  • Tubing (Lower): EK-ZMT 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD
  • Fittings (Lower): Assorted Bitspower G1/4 Compression, 3/8" ID x 5/8" OD
  • Tubing (Upper): Primochill 1/2" OD Rigid PETG - Clear
  • Fittings (Upper): 20 x Primochill Rigid Revolver Compression

Miscellaneous Components:

• RGB Controller: NZXT Hue
  • Fan Controller: ASUS Front Base
  • Fan - Radiator: 14 x Corsair SP120 High Performance 120mm
  • Fan - Front: 2 x Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition 120mm
  • Fan - Rear: Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 140mm
  • PWM Splitters: 2 x Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter
  • Sleeving: MDPC Toxic Green and Black

-----------------

I will keep this build log updated as the assembly commences and it starts to take shape.

-----------------

UPDATE: This build was built for the Classic Case Mod contest at QuakeCon 2014 and it won 1st place!

27 REPLIES 27

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Here is the new Corsair Obsidian 900D case fresh from delivery...

This is an extremely large product! The case alone weighs in at 41 pounds when it is empty. I can't help but wonder the final weight of the build once it is loaded with all the components.

Here is the unit out of the box.

The flat black color scheme is alright, but I can't wait to start getting some color into this thing!

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Received the ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition (R4BE) motherboard and love the new black color scheme!

Here is the box unopened and ready for action.

The new design is top-notch and I almost feel bad about modifying it. I especially love the new heatsink shroud that is placed over the I/O panel. No way am I losing that!

I have the R4BE motherboard laid out and ready for it's operation. The Intel i7 4930K CPU, EK Supremacy Clean CPU block and EK full board R4BE kit are ready and waiting.

This is the new EK-FB Kit ASUS R4BE full board water block kit designed for this board.

It was very easy to remove the existing R4BE heatsinks. This is the Mosfet heatsink with the shroud connected.

Here is a shot of the Southbridge heatsink.

Now that the heatsinks are removed, it is time to install the i7 4930K CPU.

I removed the I/O cover shroud and connected it back over the I/O connections. Here are all the new heatsinks installed.

Close-up of the Southbridge area.

CPU and Mosfet blocks close-up.

I just love the quality of the EK products! Here you can see an assortment of some of the products that will be used on this build.

Time to disassemble the exterior panels for powder coating.

This is the window-side of the chassis with all panels removed.

This is the right-side of the chassis.

Here are the front and rear supports, side lower panels, front plate, and top panel removed and ready.

These are the two large side panels.

They are all at the powder coating shop and should be ready in a couple of days.

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Received a delivery of memory this afternoon.

The shipment includes two sets of Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) rated at 2133 MHz. That will allow me to fill all 8 memory slots for a total of 32GB of memory!

These modules are of high quality and just beg to be used.

Here are the modules ready for installation in the R4BE motherboard. The black and chrome accent the motherboard color scheme perfectly!

Took about 2 minutes to snap the modules into place. Love the overall appearance they present.

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Now that the case panels are off to the painters, I can finally get around to the graphic cards.

Here is a shot of both the EVGA 780Ti Superclocked video cards and their EK blocks / backplates.

Here are the cards out of the packaging and ready for their modifications.

Removing the old cooling assembly was very easy. I cleaned them up a bit and they are now ready for the next step.

Here is a close-up of the GK110 chip.

The blocks went on smoothly with no problems at all.

Here is one of the backplates freshly installed.

I love the quality and workmanship of the EK backplate logos.

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
I have just picked up the exterior panels from the shop and the powder coating looks amazing!

The colors are fluorescent green and a semi-gloss black.

Here are the panels unwrapped and laid out.

In this shot are the lower side, rear, front, and top panels. For the top panel I separated the metal assembly from the plastic filter for the powder coating process and this shot is when it was reassembled. The green really pops against the black filter.

Here are the left and right side panels.

Lastly, here are the front and rear frames that were done in a semi-gloss black.

Can't wait to start assembling it again!

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Started assembling the case back together and love the contrast of the black and green.

Here is a front shot without any of the side panels in place.

Now for a back of the case.

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Since the main braces were powder coated, the rubber pads had to be removed. These pads are held in place with adhesive transfer tape and are tricky to remove cleanly.

Here is a shot of the bottom with no rubber cushions in place.

After thoroughly cleaning the rubber pads to remove all residue from the original factory adhesive, I used Scotch adhesive transfer tape (924) to reattach the rubber pads to factory specifications.

Here are all four pads with the tape in place.

Here is a shot of the pads reattached on the bottom of the main braces. The process was clean and they are back to factory appearance and durability.

NavyChiefEWC
Level 7
Now to mount the power supply...

Here is a shot of the Corsair AX1200 modular power supply. I have 3 of these units now and love their dependability and modular functionality.

Mounting the unit took about 5 minutes. I oriented the fan to pull air in from the right hand side of the case.

Here is a shot of the back of the case with the power supply in the left lower bay. The black PSU case complements nicely with the other black accents.