cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW crashing constantly while gaming; just updated the latest NVIDIA 340.52 driver

spanishflyer
Level 7
I´m not saying that the culprit of my problem is my graphics card, a NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 670 M with 9.18.13.4052 driver, but it is a big coincidence since the games I tried I had already finished several times before with no problems. Right now it is with Dead Space 3. I wonder if I can roll back to the previous driver and how to do it... (sorry to say I'm no geek). the driver shown is the NVIDIA 340.52, installed on the 3rd of July (latest from NVIDIA)

I first started getting an annoying "OUT OF MEMORY" sign as the game was loading and then as I started playing it suddenly crashed (computer switches off and restarts; I select continue starting windows normally when the options appear on the screen.

My filters are almost "polished" and there is no dust where I have the laptop, so the fans are doing their job perfectly. I don't believe it is a heat problem (and a sudden one for that)...

I have 16 GB RAM and about a year ago I installed a 500 GB SDD as a primary drive. As a processor I have an Intel Core i7-3820 QM CPU @2.70 GHz

I really don't know where to start, but can't allow those terrible crashes to continue, because I´m sure they will end up damaging other software/hardware in my laptop.

Oh, I forgot to mention I always use an external 27" screen from Dell @ 2560 x 1140 resolution (even though, the game changes it to a lower resolution, prior to starting)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Charles (Spanish Flyer)
22 REPLIES 22

Clintlgm
Level 14
Roll back using the latest Asus approved drivers Asus support Downloads Check the clean install box. If that doesn't solve the issue at least you'll know it not the Video driver.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Just found this....http://www.nvidia.es/object/driver_rollback.html

Let's see if I manage

BR..

Just found this....http://www.nvidia.es/object/driver_rollback.html

Let's see if I manage

BR..

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks Clintlgm, I will do that; only one question, how do you roll back to an earlier driver, because my guess is it won't allow you stating the very typical "you already have a later version installed",, or something of that sort...

Best regards,
Spanish Flyer

NVidia drivers don't works that way. Start up the ones you want, select custom install, check the Clean Install Box

It that worries you uninstall the NVidia drivers completely. that will put you back on the standard VGA driver. reboot then install the version you want
Its not that complicated. Your Issues started when you installed these latest drivers. Its only logical that you need to roll back.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

spanishflyer
Level 7
Hi again Clintlgm,

I followed the instructions from NVIDIA to roll-back to the previous driver and it did so, and now I have the 332..something; problem is I still get the crashing as I play. I then thought about the fans and surprisingly enough, I blew quite a lot of dust from both by using a compressor gun , holding the rotor by the blades so it wouldn't spin and blowing against the normal flow.... I then installed "Speed Fan" and noticed that just as it crashed, the temps were between 60 and 65ºC (marking it as too high), and that was after cleaning.... I installed the G75 on a base with three extra fans to help push more air into the bottom of the laptop, just where the ventilation holes are, but the results were exactly the same. I guess the fans also get air from the keyboard side, and I have the lid/screen closed at all times and I don't think that is a good idea, but I never use the laptop screen and what is more, if I leave it open, windows automatically reverts to the max resolution its monitor can handle..

Most annoying thing is that it didn't crash previously with the same game and the same conditions. Apart from the fact that those crashes can't be good for the computer, every time it happens I lose half a chapter or more that I have to go through once more....

Best regards and thanks again.

Charles (Spanish Flyer)

Well 60 to 65C are not high temps for G75 at all. Those are good temps for gaming So heat doesn't seem to be your problem.
You might try Hwinfor64, Run the sensors only and set up a for it to keep a log. That will give you read out of the Load Temp and fan Speeds for both your GPU and CPU.

So if its not heat, and not the new NVidia drivers, you may be facing a windows issue. How long has it been since you reinstalled?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

spanishflyer
Level 7
Hi again.. and thanks once more Clintlgm,

As you suggested I tried HWINFO64 and also used Intel Burn Test and it gave no errors; I followed the instructions in: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/220743-cpu-stress-test-using-intelburntest.html, went from standard to maximum and it passed them all, so as you say, it doen't seem to be the G75 VW heating up at all. I include a couple of screen shots for you to see.

Regarding a question you asked me about the last time I reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit, I just haven't done that since I received the laptop; it has however been automatically updated as Microsoft brought out updates....

I have tried lowering the resolution and general video improvements, lowering every setting on the game to its minimum, but it still does crash; I'm just fed-up with the whole issue. I now wonder if the game itself Dead Space 3 is corrupted and the reason for the fault, but I'm just guessing 😞

Any other clues?

Best regards,

Charles (Spanish Flyer)

Well if you have been running for over 2 years on the original window install, I would suggest you go ahead and do a clean Install. I think that will solve all your problems.

Back Up your DATA

If you need help check out this thread

Download all the latest drivers from Asus Support Downloads

When you clean install turn off auto update and disconnect from the Internet. The reason for this is you'll wan to first install the latest Chipset drivers, IRST and IME drivers,
After these are install then you can allow Windows 7 SP1 64 bit Home premium to update.

Your notebook came set up as UEFI with disk Being GPT, so set up your install media to install UEFI GPT.
Here is a link to the Window 7 Home Premium SP 1 64Bit

If you can't figure it all out from Rewbens update thread, here is a link to How to Install Windows 7 Using the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface" (UEFI)
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro