Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Hi once more Clintlgm,

I´m sorry I mislead you, because I was wrong; I now remember I had to carry out a clean install when I purchased and placed the SSD Evo 820 as my main hard drive... and that was less than a year ago. (by the way I had all sorts of fun and games to recover most of the licenses from my main programs, such as Photoshop CS6, Lightroom, Office etc, etc. And that was even after I had backed up all my data in more than 16 TB in different USB HDD's. Seriously I hope I don't have to repeat it ever again (I'd say it took me more than a week to get everything running once more). Mind you, I also started finding out tons of small programs I had purchased and did not remember them till I had to use them. I use Acronis backup and that might not be the best in the world, but that's what I'm married to,,,

One thing I haven't done yet is go one by one removing all the programs NVIDIA installs together with the new firmware, so I might do as you suggested; start with a basic VGA microsoft driver and go from there. Only thing though, NVIDIA might not let me do any roll back or install earlier drivers, but I'm sure there is a way... One thing is almost certain, the problems started after installing the latest drivers following NVIDIA's instructions.

By the way, those 16 TB are mostly used by my photographs; it is my hobby and with a Nikon D4s, @ 11 shots per second, with raw files that are well over 32GB each, you can imagine...

I will try removing any NVIDIA files & programs and will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot man..

Charles (Spanish Flyer)

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

You can easily uninstall the NVidia drivers. Just go to computer management/device manager/Video adapters/ right click the NVidia drivers and uninstall. This will take out the NVidia and the Stock VGA driver will take over. Reboot and install the driver set you want no problem. Takes only a couple of minutes
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

After a few failures to remove all NVIDIA related files (Just because as I re-started the laptop, it would immediatly reinstall the latest driver....), I unchecked the auto update from windows and Nvidia and eventually managed to install an earlier driver, downloading it from the Nvidia page; I installed the 332.21 and now it is "almost" perfect, since during a two hour play at max. resolution it just crashed once... This clearly means that the problem is in the driver NVIDIA recommends. I might try an even earlier version, without the GeForce Experience program and see how it goes.

Can't thank you enough Clintlgm.
    Still wonder however why the manufacturer brings new updates when they haven't tried them enough

Clintlgm PC Specs
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    CaseCool Master Haf

Quote Originally Posted by spanishflyer View Post
    After a few failures to remove all NVIDIA related files (Just because as I re-started the laptop, it would immediatly reinstall the latest driver....), I unchecked the auto update from windows and Nvidia and eventually managed to install an earlier driver, downloading it from the Nvidia page; I installed the 332.21 and now it is "almost" perfect, since during a two hour play at max. resolution it just crashed once... This clearly means that the problem is in the driver NVIDIA recommends. I might try an even earlier version, without the GeForce Experience program and see how it goes.

Can't thank you enough Clintlgm.
    Still wonder however why the manufacturer brings new updates when they haven't tried them enough
    Well Asus hasn't! NVidia does and they work for most computers but not all. Quite a few Asus G75 G55 owners have had issues with the latest from NVidia, Were getting to be so few people now that were not getting reports on the newest drivers coming out.
    So we just try them out and roll back if they have problems.
    If you uninstall from Device manager you don't need to reboot just install the older drivers after the uninstall.
    Its a good Idea to uninstall the GeForce experience or at least set to not auto install the latest drivers
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

Oh dear, I have to re-start this thread because It must have been sheer luck that the game did not crash that day, since it has done it again for no apparent reason.... I say that because at least once as I was looking at some word files it crashed once; no game no excess memory use, no nothing!!

It always comes as a shock, because the sound amp I have, a Beats by Dr. Dre, connected to the earphone outlet makes a loud "Crack" (spark type), that has always done since new, and as I'm not expecting it, it makes me jolt on my chair.....

I was actually thinking about the possibility of having an EVO 800 500 GB SSD as a main driver; I hear they need some kind of maintenance, but I have done nothing to it other than adding more programs and games; right now it is about 60-70% full. Other than that and after having carried out the tests I included in a previous message, I can't think of anything else. What ever it is it is a sudden failure that leaves both screens completely black, restarting immediately, and me still under shock....
    Last edited by spanishflyer; 09-18-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: orthography

ROG Member Array

I have the same problem... i cannot update my vídeo driver or i will have vídeo crashing (my actual driver is version 314.22, if i update i Always have problems.)

Clintlgm PC Specs
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    CaseCool Master Haf

Sounds like your ready for a clean install to settle your NB out. How long has it been since you reinstalled?
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

In my case, after having made a windows upgrade, I got rid of the corrupt files as I mentioned before, but my problem is still there; it crashes specially when "trying" to play games.... I use the computer connected to the charger from day one..... As a last resort, and trying to avoid opening the laptop to check for thermal paste and others, I tried running with the battery alone; (games in this situation jerk and are very slow in reacting, but what I found was to my surprise, that the computer didn't crash at all!!! How can that be?

Before I proceed to purchase a new charger, I would like to know your opinion and also what other charger other than the original I can get where I save money, but also looking for one that takes more punishment than the original one.

Thanks for your help at any rate.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Clintlgm PC Specs
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    CaseCool Master Haf

Well when using the battery only the CPU under clocks and runs at a much slower speed. I think you should do some serious testing what you are saying here makes me think you are overheating. Not a charger issue. With Hwinfo64 you can read all the data on your CPU and GPU including Load temp and fan speeds. Do some testing and see if that is the problem.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

HWiNFO64 already run and the results are absolutely correct

Hi again Clintlgm,

As I said, I have run that program previously and the temperatures of both CPU and GPU are well within limits. Once thing you mentioned makes me think that there is no point in playing demanding games directly from the battery and I find that unacceptable, since then what is the point of having a battery at all? And the other question that immediatly arises, why is it that with the battery alone the (let's say) game does not crash, but the moment you plug it in, without warning it just crashes, leaving a black screen and a dead computer. It will restart and show a window asking you how you want to start windows, since it stopped working abruptly, but if as you say it is not the charger (I also doubt it is), what then, because as I say the temperatures are within limits at all times and I have made it perfectly clear that the fans working at 100% and lack of dust only leave one doubt in my mind, and that is a bad condition of the thermal paste and or dissipation of heat for some or other reason.

Just take a look at my latest HWiNFO temp charts I included in my earlier messages and tell me what you think. Since then, I managed to check the temperatures on both CPU and GPU, just after a crash and re-start and the maximum temperature was on the CPU, with a reading of 75ºC, but I can't attach the file because I erased it by mistake...

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast