cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550JK - Swap 750 HDD For 256 SSD And Still Have 2 Internal Hard Drives?

cookmv
Level 7
Hello All,

I just ordered the G550JK-DS71 from Newegg.com. It comes with a 750 GB hard drive. As soon as it arrives I want to install my Samsung 256 GB SSD, however, I would like to keep the 750 GB for storage. Is there a way to install 2 hard drives on this laptop (1xSSD + 1xHDD)? If so, how should I go about doing it?

I am not 100% sure on this but I think I can replace the DVD drive with some kind of adapter that would allow me to put the 2nd HDD. If I can do it this way does anyone have any recommendations as to what brand/model adapter I should buy?

Thank you,

~M
5 REPLIES 5

kkn
Level 14
notebook section

kkn wrote:
notebook section

yeah just realized that 🙂 can i move the thread myself?

Yeah, you could take out the optical drive by first unscrewing the bottom panel of your laptop as you would when you are replacing the built-in HDD:

...and then you can take out the optical disk drive by unscrewing that one screw and sliding it to the left (or away from the panel, not upwards):

...then you can buy an "HDD Caddy" from Newegg.com or Amazon.com (wherever you want). They're usually standardized to a form following the 12.7mm height of a Slim Drive (the laptop optical drive standard). You would also want to ensure that a the caddy is made for 2.5" hard drive and not the 3.5" for desktop.

I found this one in Newegg.com but I personally have not tested it (search: N82E16817997049 in Newegg.com):

Once you put your hard drive in the caddy, you can leave it like that or take the next step and insert the bezel of your optical drive to the caddy to make the outside "fit in" aesthetically. Here's a generic video of how you can do it. And it should work with most laptops because if you have a Slim Drive (which you do), removing the bezel follows the same methodology. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYqPG59EWvo)

Then after replacing the bezel in the caddy, you can slide it back in from the side, connect back to the motherboard, then rescrew.
You can also clean the laptop, replace the RAM, Bluetooth Module, Wireless Card, Fans maybe, whatever you want to but I'm not too familiar with your laptop. Alternatively, you can replace your Optical Drive with a Bluray Slim Drive instead if in the future you get bored with all that free storage.

ROG19
Level 7
Hai, what kind of screwdriver is that? i cant find anything like that in my local store. i dont think the screwdriver available in my country 😞

ROG19 wrote:
Hai, what kind of screwdriver is that? i cant find anything like that in my local store. i dont think the screwdriver available in my country 😞

I believe it's a standard Philips. Just a small screw.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!