cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing Uncore to increase cpu overclock

seanmack
Level 7
Hi guys,

I've had success reaching a 4.9 GHz overclock on my 4690k by lowering the uncore (cache ratio) to 37

Is there much performance loss by lowering the uncore speed ? It was on the default turbo of 39.

I've read on the overclock forums that the performance loss is tiny ( 1% ) lowering the uncore down to 35 or 36.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

Expand the part regarding "evidence ringbus doesn't matter" for statistical information and tests.

Any experts on this subject please make some comments so i can learn.

Thank you
1 REPLY 1

JackNaylorPE
Level 10
I did extensive testing and posted the results in that very thread .... it met with much resistance. I guess peeps didn't want their OC'sd tainted by any data which was contrary to the desired outcome.

Using RoG Real Bench, I observed no substantial difference at 4.6 Ghz with cache multipliers of 43, 44 45 and 46. Below that I saw a 3% drop in the RoG Image Editing portion of the benchmark, but no change on the other 3 portions. I tried it again after a BIOS upgrade and results were inconsistent.

Method I used was run the IE portion once and discard results ..... then do it 20 times and average runs 2 - 21 ..... all subsequent runs produce substantially higher numbers than the 1st run.

That > 3 difference I should add, is what is mentioned by JJ in his youtube Z87 overclocking videos.
October 26 Build
MoBo:Max VI Formula
RAM:16GB Mushkin DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28
GFX:2x Asus GTX780 DCII
HD: 2x Seagate 2TB Hybrid SSHD
SSD:2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
PSU:Seasonic X-1250
Case:Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Monitor:Asus VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz
Optical:Asus BR Burner
KB: Logitech G19s
Mouse:RoG GX950
Fan Con.: Six Eyes
Cooling:420+280 Alphacool Rads, 35x2 Pump, EK CPU/ GPU Blocks, Acrylic Tubes w/ BP Fit