cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX and Wifi 5 GHz ?

Lucius_Snow
Level 7
Hi all,

I've got a new DSL router with 5 GHz dual band. I only connect at 54 Mbit/s on it with my Asus G750JX.

Here is my WLAN card :

Broadcom 802.11ac
BCM43XX
Drivers 6.30.223.215

Is this compatible ? Should i change some advanced settings to enable 5 Ghz ?

Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

gazzacbr
Level 10
hi, i have that card, driver is 6.30.223.228, and a dual band belkin router and i connect to the 5 Ghz chanel 36 at 866.5 Mbps.
i didnt actually do anything to enable or connect to the 5 Ghz but make sure that your SSID name on the router is different to the 2.4 Ghz, e.g. mywifi24 and mywifi50.
download inSSIDer (free) and run it to see what networks you can connect to.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

Lucius_Snow
Level 7
I can not make different SSID names in the router. When i open inSSIDer, i can see both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. I check the "star" with "s" key on the 5 GHz one. It says it is connected to it, but i only see 54 Mbit/s in Windows Wifi properties.

Thank you.
EDIT

Lucius_Snow
Level 7
Just an update : switching WMM to "auto" announces now 300 Mbit/s in Windows Wifi properties.

Lucius Snow wrote:
Just an update : switching WMM to "auto" announces now 300 Mbit/s in Windows Wifi properties.

Lucius Snow, the default setting should have been Auto or Enabled, was it set to Disabled?

What is the router make/model? The Broadcom BCM43XX can connect at faster than 300mbps speeds to an 802.11ac router/AP.

Also, 802.11n speeds faster than 54mbps require using WPA-2 + AES Encryption, otherwise the connection is limited to 54mbps.

Fast Wi-Fi's little secret - you have to turn on WPA2 encryption
http://www.techworld.com/blogs/war-on-error/fast-wifis-little-secret--you-have-to-turn-on-wpa2-encry...
https://www.google.com/search?q=802.11n+requires+wpa-2+aes+encryption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org...

PSA: DO NOT Disable WMM
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=778078

Don't Mess With WMM!
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm

Also see this thread:

WIFI Speed goes up and down
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50567-WIFI-Speed-goes-up-and-down&p=429334&viewfull=1#post4...

WMM was on "disabled". "Auto" or "Enabled" doesn't limit the speed at 54 Mbit/s anymore.

The router is a "Livebox Play" (provided by my ISP). The chipsets inside are AR9382 and AR9380 by Qualcomm Atheros. This is not Wifi AC.

When i connect, i get mostly 144 Mbit/s at 2,4 GHz and rarely 300 Mbit/s at 5 GHz. When i configure manually the full SSID in Windows (with the end with MAC adress), it won't connect to it. I did the same by entering the full MAC address instead of SSID, but Windows won't connect.

This is WPA2 - AES

Lucius Snow wrote:
WMM was on "disabled". "Auto" or "Enabled" doesn't limit the speed at 54 Mbit/s anymore.

The router is a "Livebox Play" (provided by my ISP). The chipsets inside are AR9382 and AR9380 by Qualcomm Atheros. This is not Wifi AC.

When i connect, i get mostly 144 Mbit/s at 2,4 GHz and rarely 300 Mbit/s at 5 GHz. When i configure manually the full SSID in Windows (with the end with MAC adress), it won't connect to it. I did the same by entering the full MAC address instead of SSID, but Windows won't connect.

This is WPA2 - AES

Lucius Snow, the Asus setting of "disabled" is out of spec for 802.11e/802.11n, you could report it to Asus so they can try to get this fixed in the next release. I wonder if this is an Asus or a Broadcom bug?

I think Asus doesn't change driver updates, but it likely duplicates the settings in their own release OS image, which means some Asus Engineer(s) might have tweaked this setting to "fix a something" and caused this problem, or it was set that way from the original Broadcom install.

One way to check might be to Restore Defaults in the Advanced settings for the Wifi driver Properties - if it is available - my Killer 1202 doesn't have a Restore Defaults option. Be sure and note all the settings before doing this, so you can put back the options changed to restore the original settings.

When I configure manually I don't put in the MAC address, I only put in the SSID... you could also set it up normally - selecting the SSID from the list, then check the Advanced option to connect even if the SSID isn't visible - if that is the goal. You can also set this by right clicking on the Adapter icon => Status => Wireless Properties => Set connect even if the network is not broadcasting it's name (SSID).

So this is a problem that all G750 Broadcom BCM4355 (BCM43xx) 802.11ac owners should check - make sure WMM in the Device Manager Wifi Adapter => Properties => Advanced settings is set to WMM Auto or Enabled, if set to Disabled.

Thanks Lucius Snow!

Lucius_Snow
Level 7
Thank you. I've entered manually the SSID (the full one given by inSSIDer) and checked "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" but it doesn't connect. Well i'll give up and stay at 144 Mbit/s, it's not catastrophic.

Lucius Snow wrote:
Thank you. I've entered manually the SSID (the full one given by inSSIDer) and checked "Connect even if the network is not broadcasting" but it doesn't connect. Well i'll give up and stay at 144 Mbit/s, it's not catastrophic.

Lucius, if you already have a config entry for that SSID, successful connect to an SSID, I don't think you can create a new config for that same SSID using the manual SSID setting. I think you need to delete / "Forget" the existing config for that SSID before setting up a manual one.

But, you don't need to do that, as if you set "Connect even if net... etc" on the auto created config for your SSID, you can turn off SSID broadcast on your router and the config will still work.

The manual connection doesn't have anything to do with speed of connection... 144mbps is all your router is capable of it seems. But, you can force 40mhz mode in the router if the option exists. You click on the drop down, if it has one for bandwidth, and select 40mhz instead of 20/40 or 20... take a look.

There may also be a force 40mhz / wide mode in the Wifi Properties => Advanced on the G750, take a look there too.

For most internet connections, even 54mbps is fast enough, and 144 is plenty faster, so unless you have a higher than 50mbit/sec cable connection, you can probably run as you are for internet access.

If you do lots of local LAN => Wifi file sharing... then you can try the forcing 40mhz bandwidth to up the connect rate for more throughput.

Please come back and let us know what you find, and how it works.

Edit