cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Impressions

b00gjuice
Level 8
I just picked up this monitor (Rog Swift PG278Q) yesterday evening at Fry's Electronics in Tempe, Az (USA). It's a fantastic gaming monitor once everything is setup and working. I'm happy with it so far. Congratulations to Asus on a game changing Monitor release and impressive engineering feet.

Some first impressions:

1. I had to set everything up in single monitor mode (not dual monitors). I'm using a Titan Black.
2. I had to completely remove my dedicated Physx card (650ti) from my system for Gsync to Work without massive stuttering and blinking. I hope this is resolved in future driver updates and I can put it back in for upcoming new physx games.
3. I had to use driver cleaner and completely remove all my drivers and then re-install WHQL 340.52 to get gsync to work in BF4.
4. I used TFT central brightness/contrast settings and color profile that they provide.
5. My Asus PB278Q (IPS) is now my secondary monitor and it has richer color/better blacks than rog swift; however, the rog swift is definitely a nice monitor considering its gaming positives. So I'm very happy with it as my main monitor since I love to game.
6. I actually bought two rog swifts (one for my teenage son) and they both look exactly the same with the same amount of blacklight bleed around the edges but its not that bad.
7. I tried to get ULMB to work but couldn't. I used an old game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic that I could keep at 100fps and the light never changed color, I couldn't tell if it was working or not.
8. I can't ever get the "light-in-motion" to change from red or be anything but solid red. It's supposed to show when gsync is working but its always on, even if I disable gsync in the nvidia control panel
9. Desktop at 144hz is very fast and smooth
10. Menu doesn't seem to work that well above 60 Hz refresh rate
11. Turbo button to change refresh rate has a "delay" so don't keep pushing it thinking its not working.
12. I turned vsync "off" in the games I tried, and let the control panel control gsync. It seemed to work better that way.
13. Gsync in games like BF4 (campaign), Wolfenstein: New Order, Skyrim are awesome with gsync, very smooth and no tearing. I've been waiting a year for this experience and its like Christmas morning.
14. Watch Dogs: I could tell gsync was working but it still stuttered with Ultra textures but that is an issue with the game so it wasn't a fun smooth experience like BF4 or Skyrim. So gysnc doesn't magically cure Watch Dogs, too bad.
15. If FPS dips below appx 28-32fps the effect is a bit jarring, so its better to adjust detail so this never happens.
16. Games that detect and use a refresh rate along with resolution like BF4 and Watch Dogs were a pain to get working and this is what caused me to "driver-clean."
17. Disabling Gsync in the control panel doesn't remove it from individual game profiles for me.
18. I'm looking forward to the massive input of knowledge and information after the monitor gets in more hands and we can get some good tips on using it.
19. My Belkin F2CD000b10-E 10 foot DP cable I got on Amazon.com works just fine with the monitor so far.
20. I hope Nvidia further improves the drivers for Gsync and make it so its easier to add the monitor without a bunch of troubleshooting to get it to work. I also hope they fix gsync with dedicated Phsyx cards if it is a global issue and not just with me.

I hope all of you that want this monitor can get it soon. If you are near a Fry's Electronics, just keep stopping in every day because they probably won't put it up on their website until demand decreases.

Happy Gaming
3 REPLIES 3

Kronvict
Level 9
Did you set your swift to 120hz or lower to enable ULMB as it wont work with 144hz. Light in motion has nothing to do with g-sync. Its just for looks which u can turn on or off via the menu and pulses when on standby. The proper way to use vsync as per nvidia is to turn off v-sync ingame and g-sync on in global control panel settings which is why it worked better 😛 I havent tried my turbo button yet considering i will only ever use 120hz for ULMB or 144hz with g-sync. I did notice quite a bit of stuttering with g-sync on in BF4 which my frames never dipped below 60fps and would fluctuate between that and 100fps depending on what was going on. I love my monitor as well. Its the best ive ever owned and seen IMO. I was lucky to get it at my local Las Vegas area frys on saturday 🙂

Kronvict wrote:
Did you set your swift to 120hz or lower to enable ULMB as it wont work with 144hz. Light in motion has nothing to do with g-sync. Its just for looks which u can turn on or off via the menu and pulses when on standby. The proper way to use vsync as per nvidia is to turn off v-sync ingame and g-sync on in global control panel settings which is why it worked better 😛 I havent tried my turbo button yet considering i will only ever use 120hz for ULMB or 144hz with g-sync. I did notice quite a bit of stuttering with g-sync on in BF4 which my frames never dipped below 60fps and would fluctuate between that and 100fps depending on what was going on. I love my monitor as well. Its the best ive ever owned and seen IMO. I was lucky to get it at my local Las Vegas area frys on saturday 🙂

I did set my refresh rate to 120Hz and disabled Gsync. However, I think that unchecking gysnc doesn't uncheck it for individual profiles so I will try again. I really like gaming with gsync though so I am not too worried about ULMB for now.

TequilaSenorTea
Level 7
I wish I had lightning fast fingers so I would have mines now. I would love to join in and say I got mine to work this way or mine has issues with G-sync. I am just sitting here drinking and crying until it arrives....Thanks ASUS 😄