cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bass Eye not working properly on G750jm

Andrew_N
Level 7
Hi Folks,

I just bought a brand new G750JM a couple of days ago, and despite the money I invested in it the sound quality is very poor. First of all the Bass Eye is not working properly. By that I mean that when the volume is on 100% the Bass Eye is constantly switching on and off. I have tried both the sound drivers displayed on the support page. It seems to work ok if I don't go above 90%, which according to me means that it is not a hardware problem. Or maybe I am wrong?
4 REPLIES 4

hmscott
Level 12
Andrew.N wrote:
Hi Folks,

I just bought a brand new G750JM a couple of days ago, and despite the money I invested in it the sound quality is very poor. First of all the Bass Eye is not working properly. By that I mean that when the volume is on 100% the Bass Eye is constantly switching on and off. I have tried both the sound drivers displayed on the support page. It seems to work ok if I don't go above 90%, which according to me means that it is not a hardware problem. Or maybe I am wrong?

Andrew.N, your subwoofer has controls to change it's level in relation the the other built in speakers. Check the Properties settings, Level Tab. Set the Subwoofer to around 65 and the Front Speakers to 100, then use the MaxxAudio Equilizer to shape the Audio material to fit your sound tastes.

The Subwoofer's in laptops have very little room, so they don't have the range of physical excursion that a real external Subwoofer can have - there isn't the room in the laptop case for that excursion - movement of the subwoofer cone back and forth.

If over driven the subwoofer will go to one end or the other of it's excursion and remain there until the material over driving it passes and then the subwoofer will appear "to start working again".

Laptop Subwoofers are nice, and we would miss them if they weren't there - try setting the subwoofer Level to 0 and compare the sound - not as full without the Subwoofer.

Let us know if you have any other questions, and if you were able to tweak the settings to your satisfaction 🙂

Andrew_N
Level 7
I perfectly understand that the subwoofer is a nice extra. My question was however if this is normal behavior or not. I believe that you can imagine how frustrating is to buy a new expensive laptop, start windows for the first time, play a song on soundcloud (just to check the sound quality) and without tuning the settings (I assume that the default settings are set by asus in cooperation with the driver manufactures) to find out that there is a problem. I just want to be sure that there aren't any hardware failures. For example another thing that I realized was that just after loading windows if I try to change the volume level, the sound mixer stops responding for a few seconds and then starts to work again. Do you think that this is normal as well?

Andrew.N wrote:
I perfectly understand that the subwoofer is a nice extra. My question was however if this is normal behavior or not. I believe that you can imagine how frustrating is to buy a new expensive laptop, start windows for the first time, play a song on soundcloud (just to check the sound quality) and without tuning the settings (I assume that the default settings are set by asus in cooperation with the driver manufactures) to find out that there is a problem. I just want to be sure that there aren't any hardware failures. For example another thing that I realized was that just after loading windows if I try to change the volume level, the sound mixer stops responding for a few seconds and then starts to work again. Do you think that this is normal as well?

Andrew.N, I am not there, so I can't tell what you are seeing, I can only describe how to set the subwoofer to get the best performance - as good as it is going to get - and it is up to you to decide if it works for you.

Windows on a new machine is constantly updating things, and new software you install is doing the same. If you have an HDD and not an SSD as the Windows drive, there will be moments where interactivity will seem to stop while the system does IO to the disk. So, in many circumstances yes a delay could occur when interacting with any Windows dialog or input, including the mixer and sound control panel.

When you get a new laptop/computer, many things that were familiar will be different - timing of interactions included - speed of responses - sounds - etc. It's all new, and your senses will be heightened - and everyone tends to get jumpy and hyper critical.

If you can kick back and mellow out a bit, slow it down, take the time to get to know it better before being critical, it helps the whole process.

It is a PC, it isn't going to have the pump and volume like a real stereo with a subwoofer, it just physically can't do it. Neither can any laptop.

Some sound better than others, and to me the G750 with the subwoofer set around Level 65, and the Equilizer cut on the low end a bit, with Loudness / Bass boost on at normal listening levels sounds great. If you want to push heavy bass and crank up the Volume to Level 90, it's gonna disappoint. That isn't it's strong side.

Kicking ass on CPU/GPU power with games and apps that need the CPU/GPU power is where it shines.

The Audio can be handled better by taking a Toslink Optical output from the laptop headphone jack, and feeding that into your Stereo - through real speakers / subwoofer, then we are talking about an awesome combination. I use a Sennheiser RS-220 fed by the Toslink.

Give it chance and let it shine at what it does best, and help it along with that which it wasn't designed to do, and can't physically handle, and you will be happy 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Andrew.N, I am not there, so I can't tell what you are seeing, I can only describe how to set the subwoofer to get the best performance - as good as it is going to get - and it is up to you to decide if it works for you.

Windows on a new machine is constantly updating things, and new software you install is doing the same. If you have an HDD and not an SSD as the Windows drive, there will be moments where interactivity will seem to stop while the system does IO to the disk. So, in many circumstances yes a delay could occur when interacting with any Windows dialog or input, including the mixer and sound control panel.

When you get a new laptop/computer, many things that were familiar will be different - timing of interactions included - speed of responses - sounds - etc. It's all new, and your senses will be heightened - and everyone tends to get jumpy and hyper critical.

If you can kick back and mellow out a bit, slow it down, take the time to get to know it better before being critical, it helps the whole process.

It is a PC, it isn't going to have the pump and volume like a real stereo with a subwoofer, it just physically can't do it. Neither can any laptop.

Some sound better than others, and to me the G750 with the subwoofer set around Level 65, and the Equilizer cut on the low end a bit, with Loudness / Bass boost on at normal listening levels sounds great. If you want to push heavy bass and crank up the Volume to Level 90, it's gonna disappoint. That isn't it's strong side.

Kicking ass on CPU/GPU power with games and apps that need the CPU/GPU power is where it shines.

The Audio can be handled better by taking a Toslink Optical output from the laptop headphone jack, and feeding that into your Stereo - through real speakers / subwoofer, then we are talking about an awesome combination. I use a Sennheiser RS-220 fed by the Toslink.

Give it chance and let it shine at what it does best, and help it along with that which it wasn't designed to do, and can't physically handle, and you will be happy 🙂

I'm also having the same problems and i suggest you try Hmscott idea by adjusting the sub woofer. Now the music doesn't disconnect. Thanks