cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you recommend G750JX?

yardiego
Level 7
Hi,

Currently i own a VAIO VPCF1 series, it's kinda obsolete and i want to upgrade.

I've seen on ebay for a good price a G750JX-DB71 and i'm comparing with a Alienware 17.

I read a lot of customer reviews of both of them, about this ASUS unit, most complaints are about the poor LCD screen quality (gray lines) and sound quality (earphones feedback included), i've seen also keyboard and Blue Screen issues. On the Alienware side the complaints were all about the unit being overpriced and lower specs for the same money ammount.

So, i'm really bugged with this question, i do not care about customer service cause i won't be using it and both of them sucks on this aspect, everything else is relevant.

I want the notebook to play Battlefield 4 and run Photoshop / Illustrator / Corel.

So, would you recommend an ASUS over the Alienware?

Thanks a lot for your attention! 😄
21 REPLIES 21

Darnassus
Status Under Review
You won't break your wrist on the Asus ;d ❤️

Coming from a JX user.

(Alienware are easier to upgrade though)

yardiego
Level 7
I know this matter of upgrading, pretty interesting, anyway, i do think this ASUS model have nice specs and i won't need a upgrade soon.

Man, buying a new pc is tough xD

I have a JX. Screen is great, no grey lines. Audio is great as well. I've never had any problems with the screen or audio or anything else for that matter. It runs bf4 perfectly smooth. Its possible that I got lucky and got a good unit but I'd say go with the asus.

Pjay12 wrote:
I have a JX. Screen is great, no grey lines. Audio is great as well. I've never had any problems with the screen or audio or anything else for that matter. It runs bf4 perfectly smooth. Its possible that I got lucky and got a good unit but I'd say go with the asus.

Not even 1 problem or concern? Thanks for letting me know!

Darnassus wrote:
Ask more questions in terms of your usage and I'll give you some more answers.. though I can say I love my JX immensely. Most problems can be totally disregarded.

The only real issues I experience with this unit is:

The keyboard keys are a little sensitive, the tiles can break if you're one to pull them off to clean them if they eventually get a little clogged with dirt. (The plastic flaps can snap off)

The screen looks oily on whites light blues (like skies and so on), though during gameplay on any other color, it's simply SUPERB..

The Chi Mei screen panels suck with their refresh rating, though nothing an overclocking can fix. (75Hz is great with full brightness)

Fear of upgrading Bios above 208, I won't do it, heard too many horror stories. I'm leaving it as it is.

Steel brush finish and rubberised shell is annoying to clean from oily hands. Rubber leaves prints on your gorgeous baby.

Cannot play proper games on battery, though that's logical and can be remedied.. somewhat.

Keyboard is very cold to touch during cold nights, I use gloves.

Computer comes with a lot of crap, it's kind of annoying to re-install windows 8 unless you have a physical disc or know how to extract your bios key and know what ISO file to use.

Sub Woofer on the left side, makes all sound from the unit off-center.

But that's pretty much it.. the general parts in the unit like the card, CPU and so on are all great.

It was actually my intention not to say too much about my usage, i want to hear what you have to say regardless my needs.

I would never pull a key off, well, at least never did this on my vaio.

Yeah, i heard exactly this about the white background, kinda weird to tell the truth, i owned a bunch or different brands of laptops and of course, diferent qualities and this never ever happened to me. No idea what overclocking means, but no problems xD

I'm not worrying about upgrading.

No problems if it's cold or hot, actually i prefer cold, but anyway o/

Actually on this matter, i would love to send windows 8 to hell and install 7, but i know it's not simple (even no idea about drivers and so on).

I do hear a lot of music on it, interesting to know.

Thanks, that sure helped me a lot, i'll research more about these 2 models i listed before and make my decision, of course, i would still appreciate if someone have more to say in this thread.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Ask more questions in terms of your usage and I'll give you some more answers.. though I can say I love my JX immensely. Most problems can be totally disregarded.

The only real issues I experience with this unit is:

The keyboard keys are a little sensitive, the tiles can break if you're one to pull them off to clean them if they eventually get a little clogged with dirt. (The plastic flaps can snap off)

The screen looks oily on whites light blues (like skies and so on), though during gameplay on any other color, it's simply SUPERB..

The Chi Mei screen panels suck with their refresh rating, though nothing an overclocking can fix. (75Hz is great with full brightness)

Fear of upgrading Bios above 208, I won't do it, heard too many horror stories. I'm leaving it as it is.

Steel brush finish and rubberised shell is annoying to clean from oily hands. Rubber leaves prints on your gorgeous baby.

Cannot play proper games on battery, though that's logical and can be remedied.. somewhat.

Keyboard is very cold to touch during cold nights, I use gloves.

Computer comes with a lot of crap, it's kind of annoying to re-install windows 8 unless you have a physical disc or know how to extract your bios key and know what ISO file to use.

Sub Woofer on the left side, makes all sound from the unit off-center.

But that's pretty much it.. the general parts in the unit like the card, CPU and so on are all great.

gazzacbr
Level 10
i game all the time on windows 7 on my JX but i do have a clean windows 8 for BF4 only (supposed to run better on 8).
there are good guides around for installing any os for this model.
i also have several other os's to choose from (see sig)
they all run great. they are all clean installs.
my original windows 8 crashed on day 2 and never restarted or recovered.
complete format of the disk and reinstall clean windows 8 and all was good.
i have a 3D 120hz screen. i really didnt want the muddy matte. check before you buy if you are bothered.
also check the wifi card. there are several that got supplied even for the same model.
i have swapped my out (from atheros) for broadcom dual band.
same for ssd/hd combinations and amount of ram included.
they all vary form one place to another.
good luck.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

hmscott
Level 12
yardiego wrote:
Hi,
Currently i own a VAIO VPCF1 series, it's kinda obsolete and i want to upgrade.
I've seen on ebay for a good price a G750JX-DB71 and i'm comparing with a Alienware 17.
I read a lot of customer reviews of both of them, about this ASUS unit, most complaints are about the poor LCD screen quality (gray lines) and sound quality (earphones feedback included), i've seen also keyboard and Blue Screen issues. On the Alienware side the complaints were all about the unit being overpriced and lower specs for the same money ammount.
So, i'm really bugged with this question, i do not care about customer service cause i won't be using it and both of them sucks on this aspect, everything else is relevant.
I want the notebook to play Battlefield 4 and run Photoshop / Illustrator / Corel.
So, would you recommend an ASUS over the Alienware?
Thanks a lot for your attention! 😄

yardiego, I heartily recommend the JX, as the sweet spot in the line of JW/JX/JH, but only if you take advantage of the Asus Tweak tool and Intel XTU to OC the JX to it's full potential. At stock speeds it is still the best balance between cost, weight, and performance, but with the OC it takes you that much closer to the performance of the JH with no additional cost.

When I got my JH I briefly thought how much lighter the JX was in comparison, and thinner, and every time I have lug the JH around I wish it was just that much lighter as the JX, but if you can afford it, and find one, the JH performance is just that much better - but for the cost, the JX is a gem.

I don't have anything against the Alienware, it is a fine laptop, a bit too gaudy for my tastes, and although I would be proud to own one, I just haven't brought myself to purchase one, yet.

I guess the one thought I have is the prohibitive cost - I would feel like I would need to keep it well past it's functional prime in order to justify the use vs cost. I would feel like I would be stuck with less performance in the long run than I would get with Asus and turning it over for a newer model a couple of years later. I would feel I would need to keep the Alienware for 5 years, or sell it at too much of a loss.

If you can get a new JX, or a nice well maintained used one, I would say, go for it! 🙂

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting, even if it is a Cool Alienware.

gazzacbr wrote:
i game all the time on windows 7 on my JX but i do have a clean windows 8 for BF4 only (supposed to run better on 8).
there are good guides around for installing any os for this model.
i also have several other os's to choose from (see sig)
they all run great. they are all clean installs.
my original windows 8 crashed on day 2 and never restarted or recovered.
complete format of the disk and reinstall clean windows 8 and all was good.
i have a 3D 120hz screen. i really didnt want the muddy matte. check before you buy if you are bothered.
also check the wifi card. there are several that got supplied even for the same model.
i have swapped my out (from atheros) for broadcom dual band.
same for ssd/hd combinations and amount of ram included.
they all vary form one place to another.
good luck.

I see, that's a lot to check and to be sure. I even didn't know some games could run better on Win8, good to know.

Ah, i did see people saying their original OS crashed on this model, weird, to say the least, but if you say after a clean install all is fine i'm relieved.

I'm bothered by the screen, but as i'm comparing 2 models i wouldn't bother to change it.

As for the ssd, can it fit the 9.5mm one? So i would be getting 1TB.

Thanks for your attention.

hmscott wrote:
yardiego, I heartily recommend the JX, as the sweet spot in the line of JW/JX/JH, but only if you take advantage of the Asus Tweak tool and Intel XTU to OC the JX to it's full potential. At stock speeds it is still the best balance between cost, weight, and performance, but with the OC it takes you that much closer to the performance of the JH with no additional cost.

When I got my JH I briefly thought how much lighter the JX was in comparison, and thinner, and every time I have lug the JH around I wish it was just that much lighter as the JX, but if you can afford it, and find one, the JH performance is just that much better - but for the cost, the JX is a gem.

I don't have anything against the Alienware, it is a fine laptop, a bit too gaudy for my tastes, and although I would be proud to own one, I just haven't brought myself to purchase one, yet.

I guess the one thought I have is the prohibitive cost - I would feel like I would need to keep it well past it's functional prime in order to justify the use vs cost. I would feel like I would be stuck with less performance in the long run than I would get with Asus and turning it over for a newer model a couple of years later. I would feel I would need to keep the Alienware for 5 years, or sell it at too much of a loss.

If you can get a new JX, or a nice well maintained used one, I would say, go for it! 🙂

Please come back and let us know what you end up getting, even if it is a Cool Alienware.

I did notice that it's the best one can get in terms of cost, it sure delivers a lot for less.

This JH sure is a beast, didn't know this model and found a ending auction on ebay at a reasonable price so far, sure i'll place a bid on it.

I see your point about Alienware, well, my intention is to use it for a few years, so i'm fine with it.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, i'll be placing a bid on both Alienware 17 and JH, if none of them ends in my budget i'll be getting JX.

Have a nice week, as soon as i have the notebook in hands i'll be posting in here = )

yardiego
Level 7
Ended buying a ASUS G750JH! The price wasn't the best one can get, still i think it's worth for the reasons you guys listed above! It's a good gaming laptop.

I posted the same question on alienwareowners forum and found way more feedback here, a active community, it also makes difference for a inexperienced user so i'm glad with it. Well, still it got U$300 over my budget 😛

Thank you all again!