cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Dark Wind 2.0" Build Log

1ceTr0n
Level 11
For those of you who might remember my previous project over a year ago....

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28143-Project-quot-Dark-Wind-quot&highlight=Dark

A little hint....

16 REPLIES 16

FreakinApplePie
Level 7
Gr8, m8! Lookin' forward to see the build!

DarkWind 2.0 progress has begun!

A little trick I learned during my RC body painting days. Heating up spray can with hot water will raise internal pressure and make the paint "vaporize" better when it exists the can, creating a finer spray and better paint paint results
: WARNING: OVER DOING IT CAN AND WILL MAKE THE CAN EXPLODE

Even the buttons get some love

And off we go...

A new approach that I haven't really seen people do with their mobo trays in almost any case, so I figured why not give a try ? Also, note the bottom of the spray can. Needless to say, I nearly sheet my pants when that thing popped out when I was holding it. Like I said, OVER DOING the heating up of the can is a somewhat dangerous trick that damn near backfired on me tonight.

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Painting continues...

1ceTr0n
Level 11
"DarkWind 2.0" progress update

Now I remember whey I HATE painting, I have no patience for it and it comes back to bite me in the ass. In my rush and impatience, I overpainted the mobo tray and got bubbles and cracks as a result. Time to order a replacement one from CoolerMaster unng........

Thankfully, the grill painting has turned out very very nice, what a difference from stock look!

And again, my impatience and noob tactics of painting came back to haunt me. The panel handles wern't turning out very well with the aluminum paint and keeping them in the sun to dry faster result in the paint getting soft and leaving indents on the paint from the stands themselves and I did this TWICE!!. Rather then having to buy ANOTHER set of handles and start, I had a random brainstorm and went and got some textured paint and crossed my fingers. Not only did it take care of the self causing paint imperfections on the handles, but it looks better honestly, so thankfully, my mistake worked out

1ceTr0n
Level 11
A "sneak peak" at how the white motherboard tray idea turned out :cool:

Allright, more progress albiet this time, slower and more wisdom in place, in theory

After my rushed and cruddy results with my first painted mobo try, I knew I had to do a better prep job and just take my time in general. After seeing how much paint was scrapped off as a result of taking the tray in and out of the case, I decided to mask of the areas where the tray slides into the mobo tray bay and not paint it at, therebye reducing paint chipping and flaking off. Besides, its area's no one's able to see anyway.

Again, learning the hard way, the amount of paint going into the stand offs resulted in paint cracking and flaking of when I installed the stand offs, as well as making them harder to install in general. On a whim, I had an idea to just plug the standoff holes with Q-tips. Simple and effective.

Learning from my crappy earlier result, I was also going to do it right and lay down a coat of primer to help not only the white paint stick better, but also reduce the amount of white paint coats necassarry as the gray will lighten up the the white vs having it straight black. It works for car makers and painters, might as well follow their lead as well.

Quite a difference already, no?

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Also starting to work on plan B for PSU plate as custom one I wanted isn't gonna get made in time for PDX LAN party

chrsplmr
Level 18
1ceTr0n ... like where this is going .. sweet. .c.

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Decided the brackets were just too boring looking...