cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG750JX sticking W key, how do I remove it?

dnasmith
Level 7
My W key is sticking down occasionally. I have researched it and some say the rubber cup underneath may have moved or been damaged. How do I safely remove the key bezel/cap so I can check this? I found this video showing how to remove on an asus A53/K53 keyboard but do not know if this is the same, I'm afraid to get under there and pry it up as in the video. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Maxter
Level 9
There is a thread somewhere in this forum where Darnasus explained how to remove the keys... If i remember right, you have to pry open carefully from the top of the key and the bottom of the key will be hold by some sort of clip.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Maxter wrote:
There is a thread somewhere in this forum where Darnasus explained how to remove the keys... If i remember right, you have to pry open carefully from the top of the key and the bottom of the key will be hold by some sort of clip.

Yes Mr. Maxter! >;x

Beautiful Me wrote:
Well.. yeah...... pull the key off ;d

You can do this easily by fitting your fingernail underneath the top side of the key ( Not the bottom )

As you pull, the key will 'snap' off. Then you move the key downwards and it'll unlatch.

Inspect the scissor clip (The clip that holds the key ) and try to give it a clean.

To put the key back on, slide the key on the bottom most of the scissor, then move it a little upwards (to latch it on), then snap it back down with a firm push downwards.

Good luck. ;3

HOWEVER.. sadly this doesn't work for the rubber caps. I'm appalled to hear so many people having the "rubber caps cracking" issue multiple times, this is around the third thread I've replied to.

You can buy a replacement keyboard.. however it doesn't come as you think..

The keyboard is literally bound to the steel plate as is the mouse pad, replacement is around $100..

You COULD if you are desperate find a key you never use, which most likely might be the right ALT key, or the + - keys on the number pad and gouge it out, then place it under the W key with careful glue work..

Of course this might void your warranty if you're under the 2/3/4 years service.

dnasmith
Level 7
Thanks for the reply, I tried searching but I guess I used the wrong combination of terms (if anyone else needs it HERE is the link mentioned). Prying from the top did finally get the key cap to pop off. I cleaned it out and the rubber ball looks OK but it still sticks. I guess I'll try a replacement ball unless anyone else has a suggestion.

Check the metal clips on the board that hold the Hinge. Be very careful with them but make sure they are holding the Hinge tightly.

If that doesn't fix it you probably have a defective keyboard
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

dnasmith
Level 7
I finally had time to get into this in depth and the issue was a worn out rubber cup under the key. The top portion had worn out and cracked where it expands into the bottom portion. As far as I can see these cups are glued or connected together so I do not see how to replace just one. I cut a small piece of rubber and placed it down in the cup, it seems to be working now. I am very dissapointed this wore out so quickly, the laptop is just over 1 year old.

I had that same problem about 8 moths in on my G750JH. Luckily it was still under warranty and ASUS replaced the entire keyboard for me for the cost of a box to ship it in. Additionally, while I play a few WASD games, I don't play hours and hours a day, so that has me a bit worried another 6 months or so from now 😞