cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help getting Vengeance 64gb 2133mhz to run flawlessly

cwith
Level 7
Hey guys, for the most part my system boots fine 95% of the time. But I occasionally get the Overclocking Failed warning.

I'm running a RIVBE with a i7-4930k and Vengeance® — 64GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 2133mhz

I have my Overclock profile set to XMP, and I have tried changing the DRAM timing Tweak between Auto and Mode 3 (Mode 2 puts computer into constant restart cycle, wont even get to bios)

Does anyone know what voltages I will need? I read through the RAM guide but as I said if I change too much in the DRAM the computer wont even boot to BIOS.

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13

jeepcoma
Level 10
Voltage will be dependent on what your kit is rated for. So, do you have the part number for your kit? Is it a single 64 GB kit or two 32 GB kits combined? The latter configuration may be a bit more difficult (impossible even) to get running.

The "overclock failed" warning can be set at boot for a number of reasons as well (not all of which involve OCing; it's just a catch-all message to let you know there was an abnormal shutdown and dump you into the BIOS). Have you tested and confirmed that this situation is ONLY occurring when trying to run the memory at its rated XMP speed? You don't mention anything about the CPU settings or other hardware, so it's possible another component is causing the trouble.
Rampage IV Black Edition | 4960X 4.5 GHz x6 @ ~1.232V | 64 GB 2133 1.5V @ Stock XMP
2x Crossfire Matrix Platinum 7970s @ Stock | AX1200i | H100i | Corsair Link Commander
1 TB EVO | 3 TB WD Red | CoolerMaster Cosmos II

cwith
Level 7
It's a single 64 kit. CMY64GX3M8A2133C11

I haven't changed any CPU settings in the BIOS. this is for a hackintosh btw. I will get an infinite spinning pinwheel when I normally get the apple logo at boot. Once I restart, the overclocking failed message comes up.

If my ram is set to XMP, should my DRAM be set to 2133mhz or AUTO?

e: should mention this happens only 5% of the time when trying to boot.

cwith wrote:
It's a single 64 kit. CMY64GX3M8A2133C11

I haven't changed any CPU settings in the BIOS. this is for a hackintosh btw. I will get an infinite spinning pinwheel when I normally get the apple logo at boot. Once I restart, the overclocking failed message comes up.

If my ram is set to XMP, should my DRAM be set to 2133mhz or AUTO?

Just an arbitrary question but, why do you need your ram running at 2133Mhz if you're intending to use it on a hackintosh with OSX? You'll be fine with running it @ 1866 or 1600!
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

I wasn't aware I could lower the timings. I figured that would cause stability issues?

e: sorry, im obviously very unfamiliar with ram settings

cwith wrote:
I wasn't aware I could lower the timings. I figured that would cause stability issues?

e: sorry, im obviously very unfamiliar with ram settings

No need for apologies!

When referring to ram 'timings' you're actually referring to the RAM latency. When referring to RAM speed you're referring to its clock speed measured in cycles per second or Hz.

Lowering RAM's effective speed will not cause stability issues and in fact may help with stability issues. This is especially true for high density kits like 64GB (8*8GB).
Intel Core i9 10980XE | ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME ENCORE | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 128GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz C14
Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB HH PCIe | 2*4TB Samsung EVO 860 | 8TB Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe | 4*14TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
Corsair AX1600i | EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Phanteks Enthoo Elite Satin Black | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | 3*ASUS PG279Q
Razer Mamba Elite | Razer Huntsman Elite / RAMA u80-A Lake

cwith
Level 7
Still getting random non-boots with speed* lowered to 1600 on XMP

What am I safe changing my ram voltages to?

cwith wrote:
Still getting random non-boots with speed* lowered to 1600 on XMP

Was this your original problem (rather than failing a memtest or locking up)? Usually, the random reboot is a result of the Current Capability settings. These can be adjusted for both CPU and two sets of RAM channels. Try bumping your RAM Current Capability up to 120%, the phase control to Extreme, and the current switching to 1.3x (make sure to do this for each AB and CD set, some of the options need to be duplicated), then enable XMP.
Rampage IV Black Edition | 4960X 4.5 GHz x6 @ ~1.232V | 64 GB 2133 1.5V @ Stock XMP
2x Crossfire Matrix Platinum 7970s @ Stock | AX1200i | H100i | Corsair Link Commander
1 TB EVO | 3 TB WD Red | CoolerMaster Cosmos II

cwith
Level 7
I have, but wow, I TOTALLY missed the VDIMM section with the safe voltages listed. oops!

If I keep having problems I may return the corsair ram and get the X79-built Ripjaw instead since that seems like the safest bet.